PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Caribou hunting

Pioneer2
03-10-2021, 12:22 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/n-l-authorities-probe-evidence-of-alleged-illegal-caribou-hunting-by-quebec-group/ar-BB1esgqv?li=AAggXBV&ocid=mailsignout

Arctic
03-10-2021, 02:24 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/illegal-hunting-caribou-herds-winter-road-1.5941703

Surly
03-10-2021, 03:09 PM
Is it really surprising to discover that unregulated harvest has detrimental effects on the wildlife populations? I guess once the Caribou are all gone, colonialism will be to blame.

huntinstuff
03-10-2021, 05:07 PM
Unregulated harvest

You either regulate it ALL or you dont....

thumper
03-10-2021, 09:42 PM
If it's 'illegal', it isn't 'hunting' - it's 'Poaching'
The thread should be titled simply 'Caribou Poaching'

waldedw
03-11-2021, 07:00 AM
If it's 'illegal', it isn't 'hunting' - it's 'Poaching'
The thread should be titled simply 'Caribou Poaching'

Exactly but in the new world you don't say " Poaching " it's " unregulated hunting " kind of like you can't " illegal alien's " you have to say " undocumented citizens " we must be politically correct you know :thinking-006:

thumper
03-11-2021, 08:06 AM
In my world, 'unregulated hunting' is native hunting, by a status Indian or Metis, that doesn't fall under non-native regulations. That's not illegal.

'Poaching', means illegal, outside of the law, subject to charges and fines/imprisonment.

We don't call rapists 'illegal lovers', or shoplifters 'illegal shoppers', - why would we call poachers 'illegal hunters' ?

Grizzly Adams
03-11-2021, 08:31 AM
Unregulated harvest

You either regulate it ALL or you dont....

X2. Two sets of rules doesn't work for the good of the species.

Grizz

Pioneer2
03-11-2021, 09:28 AM
The first time their youth went on a quad rodeo and left the animals to rot hunting closed or not. Usually the media is vague or shuts the story down.

hawk-i
03-11-2021, 10:07 AM
If the hunting regulations don't apply to all equally, why should anyone be inclined to follow them at all?

My area in BC has a 3 day moose GOS for bulls only...YET, my neighbour across the street along with his sons can hunt cows 24/7 all year long.

Whats the point for me to follow these racist game laws only to allow more for them.

Is food on his table more important than food on mine?

I recently filled out a government survey and asked them this same question...I wonder if I'll get an answer?

hilt134
03-11-2021, 10:10 AM
X2. Two sets of rules doesn't work for the good of the species.

Grizz

X3 Doesn’t work for the good of the people either.

As it turns out doesn’t matter what group of people it is, some care about ethical hunting some don’t. It’s amazing that’s a surprise these days

Big Grey Wolf
03-11-2021, 10:14 AM
I knew a Hunter? of certain heritage that liked hunting caribou in Alberta. He had a Cessna 180 on skis, worked real well to locate, land and shoot. He was very successful fair chase should I repeat hunter.

JeanCretien
03-11-2021, 03:37 PM
If the hunting regulations don't apply to all equally, why should anyone be inclined to follow them at all?

My area in BC has a 3 day moose GOS for bulls only...YET, my neighbour across the street along with his sons can hunt cows 24/7 all year long.

Whats the point for me to follow these racist game laws only to allow more for them.

Is food on his table more important than food on mine?

I recently filled out a government survey and asked them this same question...I wonder if I'll get an answer?

You’ll get an answer. Rev Can will audit you. “How dare you...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawk-i
03-11-2021, 07:44 PM
You’ll get an answer. Rev Can will audit you. “How dare you...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah...like that's never happened before:snapoutofit:

59whiskers
03-12-2021, 05:51 PM
Only a colonist could be deemed a violator of fish and wildlife regulations if they do not adhere to fish and wildlife bag limits, seasons, land access and firearms legislation by law enforcement and media. Everything else that goes on is hunky dory, no fish and game will be depleted.

bat119
03-12-2021, 06:03 PM
When I was working in the artic an Inuit told me in the 60's they would hunt caribou by driving a herd into water come up beside them in boats then use spears to poke a hole in the lungs to drown them. I asked why didn't they just shoot them he said because bullets were expensive.

I wonder if this traditional method is still being used.

Wendigo
03-13-2021, 08:57 AM
In my world, 'unregulated hunting' is native hunting, by a status Indian or Metis, that doesn't fall under non-native regulations. That's not illegal.

'Poaching', means illegal, outside of the law, subject to charges and fines/imprisonment.

We don't call rapists 'illegal lovers', or shoplifters 'illegal shoppers', - why would we call poachers 'illegal hunters' ?

But yet we call homelessness living "rough".

James M
03-14-2021, 08:16 PM
Did anyone here even READ the article? It didn’t mention natives even once. So the title of “illegal caribou hunting” fits fine.

“Yetman said there are three main herds in southern Labrador: the Mealy Mountain herd, the Lac Joseph herd and Red Wine Mountain herd. All are protected from hunting under the provincial Endangered Species Act.”

Surly
03-14-2021, 10:01 PM
Did anyone here even READ the article? It didn’t mention natives even once. So the title of “illegal caribou hunting” fits fine.

“Yetman said there are three main herds in southern Labrador: the Mealy Mountain herd, the Lac Joseph herd and Red Wine Mountain herd. All are protected from hunting under the provincial Endangered Species Act.”

"It seems like the people who are causing these infractions don't realize the value of these caribou ... as a resource to their own people. These caribou here are food for the people, culture for the people."

Dangerous firearms practices, small calibers, drunk, waiting for the herd by the highway are all trademarks of the modern sustenance hunter.