PDA

View Full Version : Radon gas detector electronic smart monitor

Sundancefisher
03-10-2021, 01:08 PM
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/airthings-battery-operated-wave-smart-radon-detector-with-free-app/1001087504#

Does anyone have one of these? The last radon threads we kits. The kits require 90 days of time. Some info suggests radon may vary over the course of the year.

Seems to have good reviews.

C2C3PO
03-10-2021, 06:22 PM
I have the Airthings standalone version ( model AT224).
It was recommended to me by someone who tests Radon commercially as part of their work for the province of BC.
It works very well, and yes the accuracy of the reading is dependent upon long sample times.

Scott h
03-10-2021, 06:27 PM
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/airthings-battery-operated-wave-smart-radon-detector-with-free-app/1001087504#

Does anyone have one of these? The last radon threads we kits. The kits require 90 days of time. Some info suggests radon may vary over the course of the year.

Seems to have good reviews.

Interesting. I was under the impression that radon level was consistant?? I wonder if the level changes are due ventilation differences with being closed up in colder weather.

sailor
03-10-2021, 06:27 PM
Radon woke up my former life ...
Do we have detectors of Alfa, beta, gamma, neutrons radiations detectors available for public?
You would be surprised with level of radiation some furniture and some building materials in your hose ... OK hopefully not in Canada but back in Europe where I am from

Grizzly Adams
03-10-2021, 07:31 PM
Radon woke up my former life ...
Do we have detectors of Alfa, beta, gamma, neutrons radiations detectors available for public?
You would be surprised with level of radiation some furniture and some building materials in your hose ... OK hopefully not in Canada but back in Europe where I am from

Radiation of all kinds is a constant factor in our lives, has been since the beginning of time, I don't let it affect my way of living, radiation may be responsible for the genetic mutation that enabled us to run this planet. :lol: I've always looked at Radon measurement as a solution for a non existent problem, promoted by those who benefit financially from it.

Grizz

pittman
03-10-2021, 08:08 PM
Interesting. I was under the impression that radon level was consistant?? I wonder if the level changes are due ventilation differences with being closed up in colder weather.

I think that's exactly it Scott - less airflow in the winter and radon can accumulate below ground. If I remember correctly levels are a bit higher in colder months.

sailor
03-10-2021, 08:24 PM
Radiation of all kinds is a constant factor in our lives, has been since the beginning of time, I don't let it affect my way of living, radiation may be responsible for the genetic mutation that enabled us to run this planet. :lol: I've always looked at Radon measurement as a solution for a non existent problem, promoted by those who benefit financially from it.

Grizz

Never heard anything more stupid... but it’s your life
Ps. I spent 10 years hanging with nuclear power 5 of them with nuclear submarine .
Guess it’s enough for today

Sundancefisher
03-10-2021, 08:52 PM
I think that's exactly it Scott - less airflow in the winter and radon can accumulate below ground. If I remember correctly levels are a bit higher in colder months.

Also impacted by atmospheric pressure and internal home pressure. Low pressure in the home is bad.

Learning as I go. My reading started at 155 and is now 113.

justsomeguy
03-10-2021, 10:21 PM
After several co workers talked about the wild swings in their houses I bought one of the continuous monitors from a guy in Okotoks, RadonWest is the name I think. We’re lucky we’re low although I think previous owner put in mitigation’s, but a friend a few blocks away has very high readings.

It swings with weather and how often my furnace runs. If you’ve got anyone spending a lot of time in the basement, particularly if there is a bedroom there spend the $60 and get one of the 3 month pucks to start.

Grizzly Adams
03-10-2021, 10:40 PM
Never heard anything more stupid... but it’s your life
Ps. I spent 10 years hanging with nuclear power 5 of them with nuclear submarine .
Guess it’s enough for today

I was going to be long winded :lol:, but suffice it to say , we live in a radioactive world, you can't escape it. You mention building materials, concrete is notorious for being radioactive, which makes sense when you consider what it is made with.

https://www.epa.gov/radtown/natural-radioactivity-building-materials

Grizz

Sundancefisher
03-10-2021, 11:11 PM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4807540/

Relatively speaking...testing is cheap. Remediation can be simple, fairly inexpensive and very successful.

My number is down to 108. It will be interesting to see how it cycles during the days and weeks ahead.