PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Mussels!

jednastka
03-11-2021, 03:54 PM
This just in! Zebra mussels have been found in moss balls (Marimo) sold as accessories for pet fish aquariums in Alberta.

Here:
https://open.alberta.ca/publications/alert-zebra-mussels-in-moss-marimo-balls

https://mailchi.mp/f34207f83dea/httpsopenalbertacapublicationsalert-zebra-mussels-in-moss-marimo-balls?e=7ba126bb57

Vic

Redfrog
03-11-2021, 04:48 PM
I'm sure they cause grief in the ecosystems, but they sure do clear the water up. Where I grew up in Ontario, visibility was a few inches where we fished. Last time I was back, the bottom was visible at 15 +
feet.

Sundancefisher
03-11-2021, 04:53 PM
I'm sure they cause grief in the ecosystems, but they sure do clear the water up. Where I grew up in Ontario, visibility was a few inches where we fished. Last time I was back, the bottom was visible at 15 +
feet.

They are hugely destructive.

Sport fish communities rely on plankton in the food chain. Zebra mussels destroy that. They also attach to and coat everything. They clog pipes and destroy some fish spawning habitat.

Not something to take lightly.

jungleboy
03-11-2021, 05:01 PM
They are hugely destructive.

Sport fish communities rely on plankton in the food chain. Zebra mussels destroy that. They also attach to and coat everything. They clog pipes and destroy some fish spawning habitat.

Not something to take lightly.

Yes. The lake I spent my summers at on Manitoulin Island in Ontario as a kid, is now infested with them. Was there for a visit in 2019 and rock bass that you couldn’t keep off the line when I was a kid were virtually non existent , the water was ultra clear but you didn’t walk into the water without shoes or your feet would be cut to ribbons.

Twisted Canuck
03-11-2021, 05:12 PM
A lot of invasive species come from cargo ships pumping water ballast out, that is contaminated. That seems to be the consensus on where the Zebra mussels first came from in the Great Lakes, and then they just spread from their. Any guesses where the cargo ships originate? Anyone?

Redfrog
03-11-2021, 05:12 PM
There are major changes to the species available in the waters I fished as a kid Not sure how much is influence from the Zebra Mussel. We caught perch by the bucket. some walleye, some bass, silver, rock, and smallmouth.
today in April May you can keep a walleye limit of 6 that you can catch in 2 hours or less, all kinds of bass, musky from the breakwall in downtown, salmon, trout. gobi }Never heard of them as a kid.] All these I listed can be caught and retained and are a decent size.

Sundog57
03-11-2021, 06:06 PM
A lot of invasive species come from cargo ships pumping water ballast out, that is contaminated. That seems to be the consensus on where the Zebra mussels first came from in the Great Lakes, and then they just spread from their. Any guesses where the cargo ships originate? Anyone?

Almost all of them come from ballast water, which is why there is now a ballast water convention in place that obliges inbound vessels to do a complete ballast exchange in mid-Atlantic or Pacific. Zebra mussels originated in Europe - as did round headed gobies.
The gobies are why people routinely catch SMB in the lakes in the 5-7lb range - unheard when I was a kid

CNP
03-11-2021, 06:58 PM
Yes. The lake I spent my summers at on Manitoulin Island in Ontario as a kid, is now infested with them. Was there for a visit in 2019 and rock bass that you couldn’t keep off the line when I was a kid were virtually non existent , the water was ultra clear but you didn’t walk into the water without shoes or your feet would be cut to ribbons.

That's a fish I haven't thought about or heard of in decades. I used to catch them as a kid in ON as well.......St Joseph Island waters.

jungleboy
03-11-2021, 07:37 PM
That's a fish I haven't thought about or heard of in decades. I used to catch them as a kid in ON as well.......St Joseph Island waters.

Ha , lived in Echo Bay for a time in the late 60s just outside Sault Ste Marie

CNP
03-11-2021, 07:52 PM
Ha , lived in Echo Bay for a time in the late 60s just outside Sault Ste Marie

Soo was my home from 55 to 73. St. Joe's island was the cottage........Echo Bay was just a place on hwy 17 that we passed through lol...........zoom it's gone

jungleboy
03-11-2021, 08:15 PM
Yup wide spot in the road. And it still is :)

dodgeboy1979
03-12-2021, 12:11 PM
caught alot of rock bass as a kid on the Maitland river at the family cottage. Great memories filling stringers up with them.

Redfrog
03-14-2021, 02:37 PM
caught alot of rock bass as a kid on the Maitland river at the family cottage. Great memories filling stringers up with them.

Always thought they were the scrappiest fish around for their size.