PDA

View Full Version : underwater camera in daylight

capper
03-11-2021, 04:11 PM
I prefer fishing outside and rarely use a tent. I've got a flasher and use it regularly but am now considering adding a camera to the mix. I tried my buddy's aqua view (approx 4 yrs old, don't know the model). And it was basically useless in the daylight unless I put a tarp over my head to look at the screen.

Anyone use a camera during daylight conditions or is it basically a tent-only deal? I see there are cameras that claim to be good for daylight, but id hate to spend 800+ to have to throw a tarp over my head just to use it. Any advice?

Zip-in-Z
03-11-2021, 09:17 PM
You won't find a camera that you can see your presentations in bright daylight unless you make a box/enclosure with a big canopy, which will help some. I made one from some large pieces of cardboard, and sat my Marcum camera on a 5 gal pail, it cut down some of the glare but not 100% after a week or two it hit the G-can. Borrow your buddies and garage engineer something if your satisfied then buy a new camera for next season.

Side note my 10 year old Marcum took on water in the camera head, I bought a new Marcum Quest HD camera from Cabellas at the end of January. After month of use, decided I didn't like it & returned it to Cabellas for a full $830.00 credit. They have a 60 day complete satisfaction policy and there was no issues as long as you have the original box, manual, accessories and the camera is in like new condition.

I plan on buying the Marcum Pursuit HD from Cabellas next fall when they come out, at the moment, you can't find any camera, they're all sold out.

Trust this helps.

Cheers

David

fish99
03-11-2021, 10:04 PM
You won't find a camera that you can see your presentations in bright daylight unless you make a box/enclosure with a big canopy, which will help some. I made one from some large pieces of cardboard, and sat my Marcum camera on a 5 gal pail, it cut down some of the glare but not 100% after a week or two it hit the G-can. Borrow your buddies and garage engineer something if your satisfied then buy a new camera for next season.

Side note my 10 year old Marcum took on water in the camera head, I bought a new Marcum Quest HD camera from Cabellas at the end of January. After month of use, decided I didn't like it & returned it to Cabellas for a full $830.00 credit. They have a 60 day complete satisfaction policy and there was no issues as long as you have the original box, manual, accessories and the camera is in like new condition.

I plan on buying the Marcum Pursuit HD from Cabellas next fall when they come out, at the moment, you can't find any camera, they're all sold out.

Trust this helps.

Cheers

David

i to bought a marcum camera from cabellas after using it the screen would go black ,if i moved the cable it would come back on the go out again , had a real hard time trying to exchange it at the south Edmonton store , the clerk said it was used and he could not resale it , it did not work why try to resell it . i could not believe it after half an hour he final gave me a refund as they were all sold out of cameras. i would never buy an electronics at cabellas again .
i bought a camera at the fishing hole over 10 years ago and they had no problem giving out a new camera within a year from purchase. when it did not work no hassle on the exchange..

skain11
03-12-2021, 08:48 AM
I have had an Aqua Vu for the past couple of seasons and yes it works optimally in the darkened tent. I have tried it outside a few times as well as sitting outside and looking at it thru the tent door but again difficult to see any distinguishing underwater features. No problem when -30 and you need to be in the tent but when the days are warm like now you want to be outside. I haven't tried to rig any real type of sun shade as of yet.

calgarygringo
03-12-2021, 08:56 AM
Same with any video screen pretty much. Take your phone or a tablet outside and not much better. Unfortuneatly there is no magic fix/answer.

Walleyedude
03-12-2021, 09:08 AM
Same with any video screen pretty much. Take your phone or a tablet outside and not much better. Unfortuneatly there is no magic fix/answer.

There is one magic answer to the problem - use a Lowrance HDS unit connected to your camera's video out. The Gen 2 Touch and Gen 3's work well, the Carbon and Live units are amazing.

I've got an AquaVu HD connected to an HDS Live with a video out cable. I use mine on bluebird days on the open water, and it's as easy to see the screen as it is to see the screen on my TV at home.

Not an easily portable or inexpensive option, but it does work.

capper
03-13-2021, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, ill just stick to my flasher for now. cant justify spending the money and having to force myself to sit in a tent to use it.
I spent a few mins looking into the Lowrance HDS suggestion. the units seem unreal but way above my needs and budget, but thanks

capper
03-13-2021, 07:10 AM
the eyoyo cameras say "sunlight readable" so I thought there might be a chance but doesn't seem like it