PDA

View Full Version : Moving photos from old to new iMac

Pathfinder76
03-11-2021, 07:14 PM
So I am wanting to move photos from my old mac to a new one but want to move photos only. The last time I switched mac's I had the tec guy at the store transfer everything over and I hated it. I want a fresh start, but want my photos. I have zero technical skills. Does anyone recommend something or some way to do this efficiently? Thanks.

RandyBoBandy
03-11-2021, 07:18 PM
Not cheap BUT it works :)
https://www.thephotostick.com/collections/thephotostick-for-computers

CNP
03-11-2021, 07:59 PM
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

If this ^^^ is not your cup of tea..........copy all of your pictures to a flash drive from your old mac and move them to your new mac. A 1tb flash drive can be had for $20

midgetwaiter
03-12-2021, 09:27 AM
So I am wanting to move photos from my old mac to a new one but want to move photos only. The last time I switched mac's I had the tec guy at the store transfer everything over and I hated it. I want a fresh start, but want my photos. I have zero technical skills. Does anyone recommend something or some way to do this efficiently? Thanks.

Do you have them in a library on the Photos app or are they just in folders on the drive?

muirsy
03-12-2021, 12:18 PM
Book an appointment at the apple store and get them to do it. It’s free and will save you lots of swearing! And you’ll probably learn a lot about your computer.

Arty
03-12-2021, 12:43 PM
It would be best to always keep (or even duplicate) the user files that you want to save such as photos or spreadsheets or letters onto another machine, accessed over a short fast network connection such as Thunderbolt. They call it a NAS ( 'network area storage').

The NAS can be set up with strategies to protect against disk or SSD failure and against accidental deletion or against sabotage. It's also bigger and cheaper than an iMac because you don't have to pay for making everything extremely compact.

That way if your iMac craps out or gets stolen you won't lose your data files. And you won't have to worry about google or any government snooping through everything to see what you're up to. And just sticking a new iMac (or even several) onto that network connection would allow you to access those user files directly without having to copy everything back over onto the new iMac.