PDA

View Full Version : Don’t reward lawbreakers

Don Andersen
03-12-2021, 07:46 AM
BC has it figured out!
Don’t reward law breakers unlike Alberta.

https://www.summerlandreview.com/news/garnet-lake-closed-to-fishing-as-of-april-1/?fbclid=IwAR03bj2z_-sojy9UmvJZbY1eC8Oo71YUAoSKogid5dxo8cMnP5t0DWuQUT8

58thecat
03-12-2021, 07:52 AM
Seems to be what is the norm now though.....lifetime thug gets put up on a pedestal but all the victims along the way are brushed aside....:(

58thecat
03-12-2021, 08:32 AM
Seems to be what is the norm now though.....lifetime thug gets put up on a pedestal but all the victims along the way are brushed aside....:(

disregard this post...not sure what happened as I went to amend my original post...cut...paste and this showed up.

don't close the lake, leave it open for unlimited catch and keep bass only for all anglers to enjoy...then if the lake has a few bass left do the eradicating of them...is that a word? also these clowns that do this should get hefty fines, have all items related to fishing confiscated...yup your tow vehicle too and a long sentence of assisting parks, fisheries in their daily tasks so they give back in a positive way....walking shorelines picking up garbage etc would be a good starting point.

Smoky buck
03-12-2021, 08:55 AM
BC has been attempting this theory in multiple lakes for years and ITS NOT WORKING!!

It has done nothing to stop illegal stocking and has only protected invasives. There has been many attempts to remove bass and perch in BC and it has also failed. There has been netting, shock, high limits/no limits, no fishing for invasive species( been that way for bass near Williams lake for years), and bounties nothing has stopped the issues.

A lot of this illegal stocking is done by those who don’t realize the damage and often they are youths. I know for a fact a large part of the issue with largemouth/sunfish in the lower mainland was a few groups that were teenagers (13-17 years of age)at the time. I know this because I went to school with them as a kid 25years ago

I did not think anything of it as a kid and I doubt the kids who did it realized the impact they would have

I am against the illegal stocking but I also would not praise what BC is doing because it’s a waste. The promotion of fishing and keeping of theses species has a greater impact on their numbers. More than anything effort to educate about the negative impact of invasive species in schools is needed

Sorry for the rant but closing the fishing of invasive species is probably the least effective thing I have ever seen BC do trying to fight the issue.

Don Andersen
03-12-2021, 07:30 PM
BC has been attempting this theory in multiple lakes for years and ITS NOT WORKING!!

It has done nothing to stop illegal stocking and has only protected invasives. There has been many attempts to remove bass and perch in BC and it has also failed. There has been netting, shock, high limits/no limits, no fishing for invasive species( been that way for bass near Williams lake for years), and bounties nothing has stopped the issues.

A lot of this illegal stocking is done by those who don’t realize the damage and often they are youths. I know for a fact a large part of the issue with largemouth/sunfish in the lower mainland was a few groups that were teenagers (13-17 years of age)at the time. I know this because I went to school with them as a kid 25years ago

I did not think anything of it as a kid and I doubt the kids who did it realized the impact they would have

I am against the illegal stocking but I also would not praise what BC is doing because it’s a waste. The promotion of fishing and keeping of theses species has a greater impact on their numbers. More than anything effort to educate about the negative impact of invasive species in schools is needed

Sorry for the rant but closing the fishing of invasive species is probably the least effective thing I have ever seen BC do trying to fight the issue.

The least effective is following Alberta’s lead of doing nothing.

Don

flyrodfisher
03-12-2021, 08:11 PM

Don

LOL
Don
You know the Alberta government always takes the easiest approach....lol

Smoky buck
03-12-2021, 08:13 PM

Don

BC does that in many cases too. Many of the invasive species in BC have been present and ignored for decades. Even most of the illegal bass were ignored for a long time and many still are. Sunfish/crappie are ignored for the most part as well

I could list a lot of BC waters with invasive species where nothing is done. BC is far worse then Alberta when it comes to the invasive fish species

The do nothing approach is common everywhere because the success rate of deal with invasive species is extremely low

What should Alberta be doing that would effectively control the issue of invasive fish?

wind drift
03-12-2021, 09:34 PM
Too funny....and ironic now. Memories are short, but for a few years, Alberta did in fact take a similar approach. No harvest of perch in stocked trout ponds. But...that was reversed...probably because of pressure from the harvest-first crowd to allow catch and keep. In a democracy, we get what we ask for...

Bushleague
03-13-2021, 05:16 AM
Too funny....and ironic now. Memories are short, but for a few years, Alberta did in fact take a similar approach. No harvest of perch in stocked trout ponds. But...that was reversed...probably because of pressure from the harvest-first crowd to allow catch and keep. In a democracy, we get what we ask for...

This, Alberta did take a similar stance for a few years, it made no difference.

But to point out the truely ironic part of this whole conversation, unlike BC we use the term to describe naturally occurring species like pike and perch, that end up back in water bodies, after having been eradicated and replaced with species that did not naturally live there.

So I would say that BC is in a whole different boat on this, dealing with species that are actually, you know... invasive.

pikergolf
03-13-2021, 06:08 AM
I would think a policy like we have for the little carp would be best. Take all you want, use for fertilizer.

thumper
03-13-2021, 08:52 AM
I was fishing the Columbia River near Castlegar a while ago, and a BC F&W officer told me that if I caught any pike, and I wasn't going to keep it "Just throw it far up on the bank - don't return it to the water". But pike are listed as a game species in the regs, and you can't allow game fish to be wasted. "Not here they're not" was his response. Walleye are invasive in the Columbia River there as well, but as 'irregular migrants' from the U.S. downstream, there's a (generous) limit on them, and so presumably, you can't 'waste' them. It's complicated in BC.

wind drift
03-13-2021, 10:08 AM
I would think a policy like we have for the little carp would be best. Take all you want, use for fertilizer.

Don’t need a “policy” for that...just the absence of a catch limit, which is already the case. No change needed. Just make sure the nasty little buggers are truly dead when you leave for home. You don’t want to get stopped with mostly kinda-dead Prussian carp in your cooler. I think the only way to really kill them is to take off their heads, run the heads and bodies through a grinder and cremate what comes out.

Outbound
03-13-2021, 10:54 AM
I was fishing the Columbia River near Castlegar a while ago, and a BC F&W officer told me that if I caught any pike, and I wasn't going to keep it "Just throw it far up on the bank - don't return it to the water". But pike are listed as a game species in the regs, and you can't allow game fish to be wasted. "Not here they're not" was his response. Walleye are invasive in the Columbia River there as well, but as 'irregular migrants' from the U.S. downstream, there's a (generous) limit on them, and so presumably, you can't 'waste' them. It's complicated in BC.

About 12 years ago, I was fishing the Kettle River in southern BC and kept hooking bass. A fish cop happened to wander by and after the licence check I mentioned all the bass. He said "realy? Show me." I laid out a cast, hooked one and brought it in. The fish cop un hooked it, threw the fish as far into the woods as he could and said "Do that. Here's my card. If anyone hassles you, tell them to call me."

I chucked about 2 dozen of the filthy creatures up into the woods that day. I hate bass. Especially in my trout waters.

58thecat
03-15-2021, 08:34 AM
About 12 years ago, I was fishing the Kettle River in southern BC and kept hooking bass. A fish cop happened to wander by and after the licence check I mentioned all the bass. He said "realy? Show me." I laid out a cast, hooked one and brought it in. The fish cop un hooked it, threw the fish as far into the woods as he could and said "Do that. Here's my card. If anyone hassles you, tell them to call me."

I chucked about 2 dozen of the filthy creatures up into the woods that day. I hate bass. Especially in my trout waters.

well that's a bloody waste....someone would have taken them off your hands and had a feast and then some....ohh and not your trout waters...for all who choose to enjoy.
same as the pike story above...chucking it in the woods...another great eating game fish...enjoy a shore lunch.:)

Scott h
03-15-2021, 08:55 AM
well that's a bloody waste....someone would have taken them off your hands and had a feast and then some....ohh and not your trout waters...for all who choose to enjoy.
same as the pike story above...chucking it in the woods...another great eating game fish...enjoy a shore lunch.:)

In the Columbia the pike, walleye and bass made their way upstream from reservoirs in the US where they had unfortunately been stocked. They are pretty hard hard on the trout population so everyone is pretty happy to see them thinned out. I think they may actually have a bounty on them on them on the US side of the border.

Popman
03-19-2021, 06:53 PM
The problem I see with the BC approach is that if I am an anti fishing type it would be pretty easy to introduce bass to shut fishing down on water bodies so I can enjoy the lake without all those heartless fishermen hurting the fish!

3blade
03-20-2021, 07:55 AM
The problem with B.C. is they expect you to pay $4301.87 for 13 different licenses to fish a 3.7 meter section of river with a single barbless floating hook, 5 hours a year, every third year....while said river has a very traditional nylon gill net strung across it, tended by a traditional jet boat who’s owner carries a traditional 300 win mag to insure he gets his traditional fish.

Hard to believe people might not be happy about that right?

Only reason I fish B.C. is because of bass, they can stick their smelly snooty salmonid slime rockets up their traditional skirts.

Outbound
03-20-2021, 09:46 AM

I'm sure the bears enjoyed the free lunch. I'm not going to go around knocking on doors asking if someone wants to eat a bunch of fish which aren't supposed to be there and which most people probably have never even tasted. A shore lunch won't happen. I don't eat fish myself and my wife who does like fish won't eat bass. She only likes trout, salmon and a some saltwater species.

As for not in my trout waters, damned right. Bass destroy native populations. I know of multiple water systems in BC that had excellent trout fishing until bass were introduced. The bass outcompete the trout for food and then begin feeding directly on the trout. The decimate the local fish populations. Fisheries management has poisoned or shock killed entire lakes to rid them of bass and restock with native trout. Rivers are alot tougher to do that on.

Keep bass in their native waters. Do not stock them where they don't belong.

Mountain Guy
03-20-2021, 09:48 AM
In the Columbia the pike, walleye and bass made their way upstream from reservoirs in the US where they had unfortunately been stocked. They are pretty hard hard on the trout population so everyone is pretty happy to see them thinned out. I think they may actually have a bounty on them on them on the US side of the border.

The pike and walleye have been in there for many years. I believe there is still very good trout fishing in there. Last time I fished it a few years ago I caught a 4 lb rainbow on a walleye jig.
Seems to me that they can all survive in there....

Outbound
03-20-2021, 09:51 AM
The problem with B.C. is they expect you to pay $4301.87 for 13 different licenses to fish a 3.7 meter section of river with a single barbless floating hook, 5 hours a year, every third year....while said river has a very traditional nylon gill net strung across it, tended by a traditional jet boat who’s owner carries a traditional 300 win mag to insure he gets his traditional fish.

Hard to believe people might not be happy about that right?

Only reason I fish B.C. is because of bass, they can stick their smelly snooty salmonid slime rockets up their traditional skirts.

I buy an annual BC licence, sturgeon tag and salmon tag every year. Runs me about $100. I don't fish the classified waters so I don't need the extra tags and I don't fish in areas near reserves. I'd rather fish crystal clear waters for salmonid slime rockets from dawn till dark with a single barbless hook rather than chuck boat anchors at some bug eyed weed dwellers in a slough out in Alberta.

58thecat
03-21-2021, 12:20 PM
I'm sure the bears enjoyed the free lunch. I'm not going to go around knocking on doors asking if someone wants to eat a bunch of fish which aren't supposed to be there and which most people probably have never even tasted. A shore lunch won't happen. I don't eat fish myself and my wife who does like fish won't eat bass. She only likes trout, salmon and a some saltwater species.

As for not in my trout waters, damned right. Bass destroy native populations. I know of multiple water systems in BC that had excellent trout fishing until bass were introduced. The bass outcompete the trout for food and then begin feeding directly on the trout. The decimate the local fish populations. Fisheries management has poisoned or shock killed entire lakes to rid them of bass and restock with native trout. Rivers are alot tougher to do that on.

Keep bass in their native waters. Do not stock them where they don't belong.

Not asking you to knock on doors maybe fill a cooler for a buddy or take the buddy with you....just seems like a waste is all from my perspective and if we are going to enjoy our lakes might as well make the most of it....remember just because it’s legal doesn’t always make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pav
03-21-2021, 03:22 PM
Interesting read...good points made.