PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Research Gear for hunting

kurthunter
03-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Whats everyones thought on outdoor research gear? Is it worth buying for a sheep hunt or should I save my money? Thanks

dave99
03-12-2021, 08:45 AM
OR makes quality outdoor gear. I have used a number of their pieces over the years, and have been happy with their cost and durability.

I currently use their Foray shell jacket. Better than the Kuiu shell that I had before it. About equal in quality to similar-priced Patagonia products, but below the Arcteryx shells, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurthunter
03-12-2021, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=dave99;4345744]OR makes quality outdoor gear. I have used a number of their pieces over the years, and have been happy with their cost and durability.

I currently use their Foray shell jacket. Better than the Kuiu shell that I had before it. About equal in quality to similar-priced Patagonia products, but below the Arcteryx shells, IMO.

Thanks boss

freeride
03-12-2021, 09:03 AM
I have a couple pairs of pants, the pants are good for a bit. But then stretch out of shape after awhile of use.

Their gators are awesome though.

Mitts are very warm, and I have a pair of their puffy mitts as well that pack very small and are super warm.

Yukongold
03-12-2021, 09:07 AM
Whats everyones thought on outdoor research gear? Is it worth buying for a sheep hunt or should I save my money? Thanks

You will have a hard time finding anything from OR that is not quality. I have numerous items but the one that stands out is a sleeping bag compression sack which is 12 years old. Still looks brand new.

dave99
03-12-2021, 09:16 AM
No problem.

After years of playing around with different brands, I have found that in order to get outerwear of similar quality, we pay a premium to get the same quality from hunter-focused brands.

In other words, a $250 Helly, OR, or Patagonia jacket will perform very close to (and often better) than it’s $350 Sitka, Kuiu or FL equivalent.

freeride
03-12-2021, 09:29 AM
You will have a hard time finding anything from OR that is not quality. I have numerous items but the one that stands out is a sleeping bag compression sack which is 12 years old. Still looks brand new.

I have a lot of compression sacs, dry bags from them. They are good quality.
I am looking at the bivy bag from them now as well. Or emergency bivy.

I also have a couple hoodies from them and puffy jacket.

I have been satisfied with all that, just not the pants.

dalewig
03-12-2021, 09:40 AM
I love there stuff, the refuge is a really nice synthetic puffy and I just got the foray coat , which is light weight gore-Tex rain top. If you don’t need a camo pattern likely much better value then Sitka/kuiu/first lite. A sight called “last hunt” often has a bunch of there stuff at 30-50% off , worth a look.

They have a really good lifetime warranty as well.

timsesink
03-12-2021, 10:21 AM
I've found it's better and cheaper just to invest in quality general outdoor gear of which OR is one. Other hunters care more about your camo then the animals do. :-)

Engels
03-12-2021, 10:36 AM
i haven't used there clothing, but i use their gortex gaiters and have no complaints!

dave99
03-12-2021, 11:11 AM
I've found it's better and cheaper just to invest in quality general outdoor gear of which OR is one. Other hunters care more about your camo then the animals do. :-)

Haha, so true Tim!

My sheep didn’t seem to mind that I wasn’t wearing camo.

creeky
03-12-2021, 02:00 PM

Their gear is great and not diminished with the change in ownership. IIRC Ron Gregg founder of Outdoor Research was tragically killed in an avalanche .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott N
03-12-2021, 02:33 PM
I have an OR bivy bag, seems to be well made.

Wrongside
03-12-2021, 03:34 PM

Absolutely. And if the gear does fail prematurely in some way, they will stand behind it. My one experience with OR CS was very impressive.

Cigarguy
03-12-2021, 04:10 PM
I'm not a hunter but I am an avid outdoors guy. I've owned a lot of gear from all of the major brands. I consider Outdoor Research to be top notch in terms of quality for general outdoor use. Not sure how well suited to hunting as I'm not a hunter. A wannabe hunter...maybe someday.