PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Magazines. Whatcha Got.

Springer
03-12-2021, 08:47 AM
Hey fellow Outdoors people. I was going through an Old Box of Hunting Magazines the other day. It got me to thinking with so many changes in the electronic world , How many people Have their own boxes or piles of magazines collecting Dust.
Heck I have some Alberta Outdoorsman Mags that were actually a little larger in size but without the glossy look .
My Brothers and i always shared back and forth our magazines but now that we live far apart that does not happen anymore.
My preference to this day is to read a magazine that i hold rather than scroll through with a Mouse.

What about You, Do you still subscribe or buy off the shelf, Whats your magazines of choice. Are you a collector.
I'm sure others on here as well as myself have maybe even been lucky enough to have their own articles show up in a Magazine...

Cheers

Big Lou
03-12-2021, 09:02 AM
I prefer to flip pages instead of scroll. Big Buck Magazine is the only one these days as I’ve had a subscription for quite a number of years. When I moved out on my own, I left a really good collection at home - which my Mom threw away years later. Bowhunter, Bugle, Big Buck & Big Game Adventures comprised most of the pile. I had two cherished editions of The Canadian Hunting & Shooting Magazine. Don’t know how many times I read those cover to cover.

Stinky Buffalo
03-12-2021, 09:09 AM
I have a pile of AO magazines from over the past years.

I much prefer to flip through a book instead of scrolling online - especially nowadays, when many of us are developing Zoom/screen fatigue as it is.

I find I don't read as much nowadays, in general, as a lot of my work involves reading and typing - when I'm done with work I try to do something more hands-on. Cleaning, laundry, fixing stuff, music etc.

thumper
03-12-2021, 09:27 AM
I've got some Alberta Outdoorsman magazines from when they were in a newspaper format! And one with my own 'subscribers' story in it!

marky_mark
03-12-2021, 11:13 AM
Sports afield is the only one I buy

Bushrat
03-12-2021, 02:26 PM
Very seldom buy magazines and subscribe to none anymore. Prefer magazines to scrolling a screen but find very little new material or anything of interest. I have a collection of hundreds of old hunting and fishing magazines some of which are over 100 years old now. Interesting to see the evolution of hunting, fishing and shooting through the last century and how attitudes and practices have changed.

Somehunter
03-12-2021, 09:30 PM
My go to is my magazines. I have well over 300 mostly A.O, North American whitetail, bigbuck ect.

walleye guy
03-12-2021, 09:40 PM
kinda disappointed with the Outdoor Canada West we get now with our membership seems to have too much eastern Canada content for me. Used to like the western Sportsman we used to get,

Redhorse Ranch
03-13-2021, 08:50 AM
I've about 25 years worth of Fur-Fish-Game mags from the 70s 80s and 90s...preparing to have them bound, that's how much I think of them.

Petersens' Hunting used to be top-notch, too. The old ones with stories by fellows like Jack O'Connor, John Wooters, Peter Hathaway Capstick.

Love the stories, hate the new "how-to" format that the modern outdoor press seems to worship.

Springer
03-13-2021, 02:27 PM
I prefer to flip pages instead of scroll. Big Buck Magazine is the only one these days as I’ve had a subscription for quite a number of years. When I moved out on my own, I left a really good collection at home - which my Mom threw away years later. Bowhunter, Bugle, Big Buck & Big Game Adventures comprised most of the pile. I had two cherished editions of The Canadian Hunting & Shooting Magazine. Don’t know how many times I read those cover to cover.

Yes I remember dreaming of shooting my first Elk and Bighorn sheep. I thoroughly gathered info in my head and never thought it was achievable.
As i look around my Mancave at the memories and mounts that i achieved success i now hope to get my Boys and Grandkids the same success.
Bugle magazine was cherished and excellent photography to make and Outdoorsman dream..

sjr
03-13-2021, 05:28 PM
Love the older Western Sportsman looks of good old Me + Joe story's

curtz
03-13-2021, 06:45 PM
Alberta Outdoorsman is my main one. Canceled Outdoor Canada West its all about Eastern Canada, I miss the Western Sportsman also.

lannie
03-13-2021, 07:30 PM
Western Canadian Game Warden is my favourite.

sage 13
03-13-2021, 07:48 PM
Really liked the old outdoor life would pick them up at second hand stores.
Eastmans journal were usually pretty good but havent got them for years.
Still get Wild sheep

Moo Snukkle
03-13-2021, 11:28 PM
In my pre teens I was given a Rubbermaid chocked full of hunting magazines.
Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, the list goes on. Looking back, it was the greatest gift I ever received. I flipped through every page and read most of the stories. From rabbits to elk to the dangerous 5 in Africa. I fondly remember the many ads for the original Rokon, Argo and Coot. Even the cigarette ads screamed adventure. A guy sitting on his old Indian motorcycle, having a smoke, watching his surf rod and reel tight lined into the ocean on a sandy beach. All these images helped shape me as an outdoorsman and fill my fondness for adventure. I’ve always wanted to see what’s over the next hill, and what might be hiding in the next valley. My sister still gets me Outdoor Life, Game Warden and Petersens Hunting. They are only a fraction of what they used to be, but I think they are still relevant.
Anyone with a decent collection of older mags, please consider giving it to youth that shows any inkling of enjoying hunting, fishing and adventure. You never know how much you could change a young person’s life. Mine is was changed, and am ever thankful for it.

ceedub
03-14-2021, 07:02 AM
I sure miss the old Outdoor Life magazines, where the writers took you on an adventure instead of trying to teach you something. These days it’s Big Buck and Bugle for me.

Craig

1shotwade
03-14-2021, 10:02 AM
I used to close to a thousand at one time. My bud worked in a magazine store in a mall and when they changed over the stock they ripped of the covers and he gave them to me lol. But my house flooded 5 years back and they got ruined. Insurance paid me for them tho and I bought some new gear.

HowSwedeItIs
03-14-2021, 02:28 PM
I sure miss the old Outdoor Life magazines, where the writers took you on an adventure instead of trying to teach you something.

Ain't that the truth

Smokinyotes
03-14-2021, 04:46 PM
At one time I had every western sportsman magazine and Alberta game warden. They all went in the garbage when our basement flooded in 2008.

bessiedog
03-14-2021, 04:55 PM
I've about 25 years worth of Fur-Fish-Game mags from the 70s 80s and 90s...preparing to have them bound, that's how much I think of them.

Petersens' Hunting used to be top-notch, too. The old ones with stories by fellows like Jack O'Connor, John Wooters, Peter Hathaway Capstick.

Love the stories, hate the new "how-to" format that the modern outdoor press seems to worship.

Fur fish n game is a great mag!

Really miss Western Sportsmen

Salavee
03-14-2021, 05:33 PM
Can someone confirm that Alberta Fishing & Hunting magazine was the predecessor to the current Alberta Outdoorsmen magazine.
I have a few of the old Alberta F & H mags.

7magtime
03-15-2021, 07:06 AM
I have a large box of magazines my grandfather gave me years ago, most from the 70's and 80's I believe.
John Wooter's, Jack O'Connor, Elmer Keith, Col. Townsend Whelen, Robert Ruark and Chuck Adams were some of my favorites back then.
Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, Petersen's Hunting, Sports Afield, Bugle and others I can't remember were read page to page.
As mentioned already, the stories in those older magazines got the fire burning early to head outdoors for my own adventures and see what's over the next hill, the next valley or down the next cutline. That still hasn't changed....lol
The only magazine I currently subscribe to is Big Buck, been buying that one since the first issue.
Good memories and good post OP. :)