PDA

View Full Version : spring steers

buckbrushoutdoors
03-12-2021, 08:49 AM
hey everyone, I have been looking on all the buy sell pages, kijiji, townpost etc, I'm looking for two steers for this spring early summer. mostly to keep the grass down in the pasture. depending on size and weight I may want to butcher this fall or finish them on barley this winter. My kids are also showing interest in 4H and this may be a good foot in the door for them to see what its all about. Does anyone have a line on a few steers? could possibly work out some deals on meat come fall or winter time.

amosfella
03-12-2021, 09:02 AM
I have some very nice red angus steers that I would sell. They're 2 years old right now. We've selected genetics for doing well grass fed.

I'm by Vulcan.

Wendigo
03-12-2021, 04:18 PM
How many you want?
I got close to 700 yearly steers about 730lbs.
Or just go to thorsby auction on Monday and pick the 1s you want.
Go for calves or yearling 2 years is wayyy to old for 4h those be burger only animals in

NCC
03-12-2021, 04:34 PM
Call the auction mart that is nearest to you and get the name of an order buyer who regularly attends their sales. If you go yourself, you’ll have to outbid the order buyers anyway so might as well just give him a few bucks instead of sitting through a bunch of sales until you find one you want.

Grizzly Adams
03-12-2021, 06:00 PM
I had the same idea here, but reality is you have to be set up for it, I'm going to get a couple of rescue horses instead to eat last year's stale grass. They're always looking for pasture.

Grizz

hayseed
03-12-2021, 06:13 PM
Movald Ranches Breton Ab
For all your beef needs, Pure bred Fleckvieh Simmental
Steers
Bulls
Heifers
Good beef to suit all your needs.
780-514-6970
Duane

IL Bar
03-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Call the auction mart that is nearest to you and get the name of an order buyer who regularly attends their sales. If you go yourself, you’ll have to outbid the order buyers anyway so might as well just give him a few bucks instead of sitting through a bunch of sales until you find one you want.

This is what you do.

lyallpeder
03-12-2021, 06:58 PM
If 4-H is something you’re interested in, I can probably help you find some contact information for the fort beef club. Depending what they do this year you could check out their steer show this early summer.

NCC
03-13-2021, 11:31 PM
If 4-H is something you’re interested in, I can probably help you find some contact information for the fort beef club. Depending what they do this year you could check out their steer show this early summer.

If you buy a steer that’s been fed barley or 4-H ration all winter, it will lose 200lbs when you kick it out on grass.

lyallpeder
03-14-2021, 08:33 AM
If you buy a steer that’s been fed barley or 4-H ration all winter, it will lose 200lbs when you kick it out on grass.

Yes, I understood his kids interested in having their own 4-H steer. Not buying one for lawnmower duty

buckbrushoutdoors
03-14-2021, 09:13 AM

I will shoot you a PM thanks

zims23
03-01-2024, 10:33 PM
Reviving an old thread. I would like to try and raise a couple steers over the summer for fall slaughter. I have a lot acres of grass for grazing. Any suggestions on where to find a pair of year old steers? Any other tips?

W921
03-02-2024, 06:26 AM
Reviving an old thread. I would like to try and raise a couple steers over the summer for fall slaughter. I have a lot acres of grass for grazing. Any suggestions on where to find a pair of year old steers? Any other tips?

So stuff at auction has been stressed and mixed in with other cows at town. Good way to catch a bug.

Auctions discount weird unusual breeds,horns or small groups of steers. So if someone was a small producer with just a few animals ,especially if he had some breed other than Angus and if he was close yo you. That would be as good deal for both of you.

Dont get something like limousine. Get something with some brains like Hereford, short horn or speckle park, dexters etc.

Farm cows are different than ranch cows. The farm cows that are used to being handled and kind of like pets are the ones you want.

Be nice if you bought from someone local so if you had trouble he could help you out.

PartTimeHunter
03-03-2024, 07:50 PM

W921 is spot on. Try kijiji for steers from a small producer. How many acres do you have for grazing?

zims23
03-03-2024, 09:02 PM
I have about 30 acres open for grazing. I will keep an eye on kijiji. Thanks

PartTimeHunter
03-03-2024, 09:20 PM
30 acres should be lots for a couple steers even if we don't get much more moisture. In a decent year they wouldn't keep up