PDA

View Full Version : Advice for starter plumber

jfk93
03-12-2021, 08:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone can give me tips as a starter plumber. I start on Monday. Any tools I should be getting? Any tip would be nice to hear from another plumber with experience

Dewey Cox
03-12-2021, 08:34 PM
Work your ass off.
Thats what will set you apart from the other starters, and keep you working if things get slow.
What kind of an outfit are you starting with? (Residential? commercial? Service work? New construction?)

jfk93
03-12-2021, 08:40 PM
Commercial

Dewey Cox
03-12-2021, 09:04 PM
If you weren't told what tools to bring, don't go too crazy until you see what you need.
Bring a measuring tape, a sharpie, a utility knife, a pair of water pump pliers (channel lock), a 12" crescent wrench, a pic quick multi screw driver, a hammer, hacksaw, tin snips, some safety glasses, and steel toe boots.
That should keep you useful for the first day or two, and you'll quickly find out what else you need for that particular job.

mooseknuckle
03-12-2021, 09:05 PM
Don't chew your finger nails. lol.

Where are you located?

Ken07AOVette
03-12-2021, 09:11 PM
Friday is Payday.
Feces rolls downhill.
Don't lick peanut butter off your fingers when you are eating sandwiches.

Seriously though - the biggest rules are:

LISTEN

WATCH

DO AS TOLD

ASK IF YOU DO NOT KNOW

You are going into a terrible wonderful painful fulfilling career. I have many relatives that have had lifetime careers in HVAC and Plumbing and GF.

My son was doing HVAC and plumbing until he was layed off several times, and ended up working in Ft Mac. He enjoyed the hell out of it. You, like him may be bounced between a few companies, but enjoy the ride, get your tickets, and one day you can set yourself up for a great career.

Best of luck.

birchbark
03-12-2021, 09:16 PM
Show up on time,and be ready to work. Pay attention to your journeyman and hopefully you get a good one who will mentor you. Working in construction will teach you the basics of plumbing systems. Once you’re a journeyman you should be well versed in all aspects of plumbing and heating systems. At this point if possible, try and get some service work experience. That’s where you’ll have an advantage over others without. I was fortunate enough to have been thrown into the fire so to speak of the service department of my employer. It was difficult at first but persevered and never looked back. Recently retired after 30 years in the trade with about 25 of those doing service work. Oh and always clean up after yourself! Leave your worksite cleaner than it was before your arrival.

Gramps.257
03-12-2021, 10:56 PM
Work harder than every other guy on the crew and show up on time, always.

ctd
03-13-2021, 10:21 AM
I use to have a hacksaw, flathead, Phillips and Robertson screw driver. A 5/16 nut driver. A good hammer, a small pry bar, a set of pex cutters, a 1 foot level, a copper pipe hand cutter and a mini pipe cutter. a good measuring tape. A big chainsaw (it makes framers nervous) lol.

As a min get a hacksaw, measuring tape and a hammer.

Most companies will let you know what you need. Most Good Journeyman will let you use their tools..just respect their tools. Carry a rag or two and wipe down tools before putting them away. Don't abuse their tools (or your tools)
If you don't know how to use a tool ask. Especially holehawgs.
Always clean up the area without being asked.
As you get into the groove be one step ahead of your Journeyman. Get cords laid out, move materials in place be ready for the next step.

Listen, observe and absorb information. Just because the Electrician is saying your line needs to be moved. Listen for the why. They might have a good reason. Or most times it's because they are to lazy to run an extra foot of line or drill one hole. :thinking-006:

Framers are your friend even if they run the joists the wrong way or improper spacing and you have to use a chainsaw to cut their joists out of the way to place a toilet flange. (The Contractor was mad)
Keep them as friends because one job somewhere somehow they will help you out big time. Even after cutting holes all over the place and them having to fix them. :bad_boys_20:

Of all the jobs I have ever done. Plumbing was my favorite one overall.

Scottmisfits
03-13-2021, 10:29 AM
Fact of the matter is as a green helper, not even an apprentice plumber yet, don't spend to much on tools. A tape and a set of pliers will get you through most jobs they will put you through. A utility knife will help with that as well, but different companies and sites will have different requirements for what type of knife is ok and what is not, as stupid as that sounds.

The single best thing to show up with is a good attitude and a willingness to learn. I dont know everything in the trade, not even close. I am a commercial and industrial guy, been in for 23 years. I'm still learning daily.

Dean2
03-13-2021, 10:51 AM
Never been in the trades, but have hired and overseen literally thousands of people over the years. The ones that did well and progressed rapidly had a few common traits

Excellent attitude.

Worked hard, did not complain, whine or try to duck the unpleasant jobs but would also stand up for themselves when required.
They showed up early so they were ready to go at starting time.
Asked questions rather than trying to do something they don't understand but never had to ask the same question twice. Kept detailed notes.
Always tried to be a step ahead of the situation, anticipating what was coming. Used their own brain rather than needing to be told every step and job they needed to do.
Helped others learn and found ways to pay back the people that taught them. Even if it was just talking up that person to the Boss.
Owned their mistakes, never blamed their failures on others, shared credit for what went right.
Does not matter what job it is, if you work at being in the top 5% you will ALWAYS have work. Mid line performers get laid off, poor performers get fired, the top 5% and better yet the top 1%, always have work.
Final piece of advice, never work for a**oles that don't treat their staff right, or people that screw their customers.

Wendigo
03-13-2021, 11:02 AM
AND STAY OFF YOUR PHONE!!!!!
my biggest pet peeve is apprentices on there god dam cell phones.
Phone stays in lunchbox or vehicle.

And always look busy and take initiative.

KGB
03-13-2021, 12:13 PM
Wear the pants that cover your butt crack! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Grizzly Adams
03-13-2021, 12:34 PM
Wear the pants that cover your butt crack! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Funny you should mention that. Saw a guy getting into plumbing truck in Red Deer yesterday, I'll bet he made an honest 800 lbs, no exageration. Good thing he was wearing coveralls. :lol:

Grizz

swtp
03-13-2021, 08:25 PM
Always have a tape measure on you

Austin
03-13-2021, 08:35 PM
Righty tighty, lefty loosie
- your credo

Iron Brew
03-13-2021, 09:00 PM
Friday is Payday.
Feces rolls downhill.
Don't lick peanut butter off your fingers when you are eating sandwiches.

SNIP

That's a red seal fail, Ken. You missed the most important one. Every asshatt is a potential customer.

Dewey Cox
03-13-2021, 09:04 PM
And a torpedo level.

(Feel free to make assumptions about my work for forgetting to mention that one.....)

ctd
03-14-2021, 12:35 AM
And a torpedo level.

(Feel free to make assumptions about my work for forgetting to mention that one.....)

We use to have one contractor that would not let us use levels. had to measure everything using his tape. That way it was the same measurement and the same out. So everything lined up. Well that was his line of thinking. It was a pia but he paid well and never complained as long as we did things his way.

igorot
03-14-2021, 08:34 AM
My friend finished his plumbing apprenticeship but had a hard time looking to start his career. A member on here (Hawken) took a risk and took him under his wing. It was the break he needed to start his career. He was able to get his journeyman license and added gas to his discipline. It was very unfortunate that ST. Peter needs some plumbing done. He was called over yonder at a young age (Big C). RIP Mark.

We also have (Cabber Tosser) that he took the time and consulted on my project at home (for free) despite his tight schedule. Our schedule did not align, so the project was not done by him.

The integrity of the man behind the tools is what matters.

CaberTosser
03-14-2021, 11:00 AM
That's a red seal fail, Ken. You missed the most important one. Every asshatt is a potential customer.

My favorite over the cliche’ sayings, I like the literal and figurative dual meanings. Save for that it’s not ‘hat’ of course.

As for starting in the trade. Pay attention, ask questions, strive to learn both the proper way and the safe way to do things. Have high standards, never leave a job with workmanship that looks like it was done after 3pm on a Friday afternoon.

58thecat
03-14-2021, 05:43 PM
Work your ass off.
Thats what will set you apart from the other starters, and keep you working if things get slow.
What kind of an outfit are you starting with? (Residential? commercial? Service work? New construction?)

yup..first in and last out and on days off if called to help out say yes...pay attention and never do shoudy work even if the boss wants it done now...do it once and right...I remember when we where building our house and man back then everyone had a decal on their door..Alberta was just a bucking...I skidded a lot of useless crap off site and when Alberta set back well only the reputable ones were left and very much busy too....oh and paid very well too.

ssyd
03-14-2021, 06:19 PM
My favorite over the cliche’ sayings, I like the literal and figurative dual meanings. Save for that it’s not ‘hat’ of course.

As for starting in the trade. Pay attention, ask questions, strive to learn both the proper way and the safe way to do things. Have high standards, never leave a job with workmanship that looks like it was done after 3pm on a Friday afternoon.

As the guy who delivers your material this might earn you some brownie points with the boss... Be willing to stay past 3PM on a Friday to receive your material for Monday morning!

Robins36
03-14-2021, 06:24 PM
When I started out, my foreman told me “I don’t care how long it takes you, as long as you do it right!” Pretty sure he meant within a certain timeframe... but speed will come later. Don’t be scared of the shovel, mud or a broom. Show some initiative and keep your phone out of your hands and you will do good.

Daryl

bloopbloob
03-15-2021, 01:21 AM
Never been in the trades, but have hired and overseen literally thousands of people over the years. The ones that did well and progressed rapidly had a few common traits

Excellent attitude.

Worked hard, did not complain, whine or try to duck the unpleasant jobs but would also stand up for themselves when required.
They showed up early so they were ready to go at starting time.
Asked questions rather than trying to do something they don't understand but never had to ask the same question twice. Kept detailed notes.
Always tried to be a step ahead of the situation, anticipating what was coming. Used their own brain rather than needing to be told every step and job they needed to do.
Helped others learn and found ways to pay back the people that taught them. Even if it was just talking up that person to the Boss.
Owned their mistakes, never blamed their failures on others, shared credit for what went right.
Does not matter what job it is, if you work at being in the top 5% you will ALWAYS have work. Mid line performers get laid off, poor performers get fired, the top 5% and better yet the top 1%, always have work.
Final piece of advice, never work for a**oles that don't treat their staff right, or people that screw their customers.

Perfect!
I have trained hundreds in welding. You are point on.
I've chosen people with great attitudes over people with better skills, with questionable attitudes when hiring.