PDA

View Full Version : Telus email Migration

threeforthree
03-13-2021, 07:32 AM
Any Telus users change yet... IM lost in this process of trying to change it.

303 Epps
03-13-2021, 07:37 AM
It's painful, and ongoing for us.

Reeves1
03-13-2021, 07:39 AM
I strongly dislike it.
Slow. Glitchy.
Cannot use my "3rd" party e-mail program (Eudora)

Talked with a (poor) tech guy in town & he had no idea how to get my mail program to work.

Not only that, I dislike Google having ANYTHING to do with my mail.

:mad3:

rembo
03-13-2021, 07:44 AM

as above.

I have my business email working on 2 devices out of 4. I would guess I've spent at least 20 hours on the phone with Telus in the last two weeks trying to get it sorted out.

Personal email is even worse. The migration has corrupted my google account which one needs to access youtube. I've even had to phone microsoft trying to get Outlook to work with the new settings to access email through gmail.

Really sad.

Seriously looking at Shaw....

elkhunter11
03-13-2021, 07:50 AM
I went down to the local Telus office and the person there changed my phone over in a few minutes. He mentioned that he had done dozens for people, and that was last fall. I ended up taking my laptops to my local computer people, and they told me that they had done many, for frustrated customers. For the people that have done this dozens of times, it's easy, but it is very frustrating to do it the first time following directions from Telus.

Grizzly Adams
03-13-2021, 08:24 AM

Actually a good thing, cuts off all those hot women prospects I've been getting from dating sites. :lol: When we stopped dealing with Telus internet , I just created another E mail account, not difficult and there's been lots of time to phase it out. Telus is ****.

Grizz

Arty
03-14-2021, 10:58 PM
I migrated about 1/2 dozen accounts over last November, including relatives' and together with a couple of system upgrades. No problems, basically following telus instructions which were pretty simple. You should understand how e-mail works and why telus is giving those instructions. Migrated one Evolution installation over to Thunderbird too.

Linux all the way for my front-end machines, never msoft. That reduces the aggravation level substantially.

crazy_davey
03-14-2021, 11:17 PM
I thought it was going to be a nightmare from what I had read. I talked to a guy for a few minutes, figured I had it figured out. Followed the directions and was done. Maybe took me 15 minutes. No issues so far.

ram crazy
03-15-2021, 06:24 AM
I had no issues and the switch over took about 10 min.

Scott N
03-15-2021, 06:35 AM
I did my migration over back in January, and it all seemed to go pretty smoothly. I was pleasantly surprised that it all went well considering I had heard a lot of horror stories about changing over.

NaturalBornKilla
03-16-2021, 08:08 PM
I migrated last summer, very painful. I ended up contacting Microsoft to help get it set up with outlook. It took the Microsoft dude a few tries to finally get it set up.

thumper
03-16-2021, 11:03 PM
Switched over my wife's - no problem. Tried switching over mine, lots of problems. It took 1 3/4 hours waiting on the Telus 'Help' line to get someone, and 45 minutes later, they gave up too! Had to hire the local techie guru to do a full tune-up on my Mac, and finally get email service back - $150 later.

You would think that Telus would have made it simpler for their clients ...

bezzola
03-17-2021, 08:15 AM
I dislike my gmail in the past 3 weeks or so i have received large amounts of spam mail. I called telus waited and waited just to be told there is no way to block them. And the spam phone calls have started also.

Arty
03-17-2021, 11:05 AM
I dislike my gmail in the past 3 weeks or so i have received large amounts of spam mail. I called telus waited and waited just to be told there is no way to block them. And the spam phone calls have started also.

Usually that's because either your machine or a recipient msoft machine or some company's msoft email server with your email address on it is compromised by malware or careless use. Then all addresses can be captured and sold to spammers.

Have a solid Linux or FreeBSD client to handle email, tightly configured to avoid attempts to plant malware on it, don't click on questionable or unknown links, and you'll have most bases covered on your own machine.

If you're getting spam from somewhere you know you'd never have anything to do with, such as israel or africa or upper monrovia or china or estonia etc, set up spam filters on your own email client to dump all that stuff into a junk folder. Never open any of those. Read the spam log file/report every couple of weeks to see what's trending and where stuff is coming from. Eventually the spammers will just move on to a fresher stolen address list.

Use a separate email address where someone/thing will probably be holding it on a server (such as a government department, or online store, or some club membership, etc.).

And everyone should set up and be using gpg encryption/verification software on their trusted account(s) on a Thunderbird (or other capable) client. That way nothing can snoop through it, or pretend to be some authentic sender.