PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal

Iron Brew
03-13-2021, 09:08 AM
I'm on the lookout for charcoal briquettes (for an ugly drum so not looking for lump). I have used Kingsford Select in the past, but it appears to be gone, so Kingsford original it is...

The question is about pricing. It used to be about $ 10/bag but I see now they are asking $15. Has anybody seen any deals on this? Home Depot took away the big bags of lump hardwood, and now charge the same for the small bags, (I no longer care - got a face cord of apple) and now they've boosted their price on charcoal. They used to be cheaper by $4-6 per bag and are now the same.

So I'm on the hunt for Kingsford on sale if anybody sees any. Edmonton area.

Thanks

lyallpeder
03-13-2021, 07:40 PM
Sorry, pardon me?

A face Ford of apple!!! From where!

Iron Brew
03-13-2021, 08:12 PM
Sorry, pardon me?

A face Ford of apple!!! From where!

facebook market place, actually, and for cheaper than firewood. The person even delivered it. And was happy cause some asshat immediately offered her $25 delivered.

bushnell
03-13-2021, 08:13 PM
try stupid store

Iron Brew
03-13-2021, 08:43 PM
try stupid store

Thanks. I checked on line and nothing. I'll check when I go for my grocery run

tbiddy
03-13-2021, 09:00 PM
I can’t find Kingsford for under $14.99/bag. There has been a pallet sitting at Wal-Mart in wainwright since this summer and they haven’t dropped the price a penny. Home Depot used to have a sale in the spring but I’ve been waiting for over a year and it never goes down in price.

I started using Weber briquettes and was impressed but supposedly they stopped making them. I picked up a bag of Jealous Devil big briquettes last time I was at BBQ Country in Edmonton. I haven’t tried them yet. They were pricey though.

lyallpeder
03-14-2021, 08:38 AM
facebook market place, actually, and for cheaper than firewood. The person even delivered it. And was happy cause some asshat immediately offered her $25 delivered.

Nice find!

I can’t find Kingsford for under $14.99/bag. There has been a pallet sitting at Wal-Mart in wainwright since this summer and they haven’t dropped the price a penny. Home Depot used to have a sale in the spring but I’ve been waiting for over a year and it never goes down in price.

I started using Weber briquettes and was impressed but supposedly they stopped making them. I picked up a bag of Jealous Devil big briquettes last time I was at BBQ Country in Edmonton. I haven’t tried them yet. They were pricey though.

They still make them. That rumor came out a year ago but I saw them in Home Depot yesterday. I use them most of the time in my kettle and always when I use a snake.
I’m watching for hone depot to have a store wide Father’s Day sale. A guy can dream.

KGB
03-14-2021, 02:57 PM
I saw a lump charcoals in the west end Costco, 18 lb pretty large bags. There were lots of them there.

Iron Brew
03-15-2021, 06:07 PM
I saw a lump charcoals in the west end Costco, 18 lb pretty large bags. There were lots of them there.

For long cooks I like the briquettes. I did my first brisket this weekend and the time till finished wound up being 21.5 hours. Yeah. Totally misjudged the finish time based on the recipes. I think I'll start my next one at 6pm instead of 6pm.

On another note. I've heard about "stall" before. I did NOT expect it to take that long to get past the stall. Several hours.

1shotwade
03-15-2021, 06:23 PM
I picked up kingsford select at walmart last week . Grabbed 10 bags and it was $150 ish. In the States it $6 lol!!!

liar
03-15-2021, 07:01 PM
Last few bags I have bought were charcoal powder . I am going to try something like this ;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-R-8OPRJz4

Jim Blake
05-19-2021, 07:35 AM
I was looking on the Barbeques Galore site and they have a new charcoal called Big Boy Hardwood Charcoal. I have been using Weekend Warrior Wicked Good Charcoal but wondered if anyone here has tried the Big Boy brand? I'm going to pick some up next week and try it but if someone has used it, I would like to hear their feedback.

It comes in a 22 pound bag which is a couple pounds more than most regular brands. The price is 30 bucks a bag.

Dean2
05-19-2021, 10:29 AM
Canadian Tire has 16 lb Kingsford for 14.99. Tag it with a sales alert and stock up when they put it on 50% off. Should be any time now. Peavey mart has the Kingsford 16 lb bags at 10.99 right now, ;lots in the Edmonton store.

Quest206
05-19-2021, 10:43 AM
I'm fortunate enough to have a local store that imports real unbroken charcoal in 40-50 lb. bags from Mexico. It's pricey but nothing better for smoking. For long cooks I find a good bottom layer of briquettes with the lump on top.

Off in the Bushes
05-19-2021, 11:29 AM
For long cooks I like the briquettes. I did my first brisket this weekend and the time till finished wound up being 21.5 hours. Yeah. Totally misjudged the finish time based on the recipes. I think I'll start my next one at 6pm instead of 6pm.

On another note. I've heard about "stall" before. I did NOT expect it to take that long to get past the stall. Several hours.

A Texas Crutch will help you get through the stall and doesn’t dry the meat out on those long cooks.

Savage Bacon
05-19-2021, 11:51 AM

I don't think starting at 6pm or 6pm will make too much of a difference :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I love my ugly drum smoker but regulating heat and cook times are never consistent. I was thinking of getting one of the regulated intake air fans to help. But since I got my vertical smoker it's all I use. It's not big enough for brisket tho.

Iron Brew
05-21-2021, 07:29 PM
I don't think starting at 6pm or 6pm will make too much of a difference :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I love my ugly drum smoker but regulating heat and cook times are never consistent. I was thinking of getting one of the regulated intake air fans to help. But since I got my vertical smoker it's all I use. It's not big enough for brisket tho.

For long cooks I use a PID controller with a fan. Love the ugly drum. Glad to see another “drummer” on here.

fordtruckin
05-22-2021, 07:38 PM
I picked up kingsford select at walmart last week . Grabbed 10 bags and it was $150 ish. In the States it $6 lol!!!

wow, 150$ in Canada and 6$ in the States .... Well you do have the "free" health care that you gotta pay for some how.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

1shotwade
05-23-2021, 09:32 AM
wow, 150$ in Canada and 6$ in the States .... Well you do have the "free" health care that you gotta pay for some how.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

No I meant $6 a bag instead of $15!!!lol

fordtruckin
05-23-2021, 11:10 AM
No I meant $6 a bag instead of $15!!!lol

I figured that’s what you meant.