PDA

View Full Version : Premium sandpaper?

GummyMonster
03-13-2021, 10:04 AM
Morning,
Have any of you used the SIA brand sandpaper from Canucktools?
We're having to refinish the entire interior of our house, as the previous paint job is bad.
No primer over the original oil based paint, incorrect rollers which made a rough finish. So we're going through a LOT of sandpaper.
We've been using Gator and Norton brand, which work well, although pricey. I came across this SIA brand, and it's a little less expensive.
Suggestions on any other brands you've had good results with are more than welcome.
We're using a lot of 60 grit and up.
Thanks in advance for any input..
Ken

eagleflyfisher
03-13-2021, 05:37 PM
Norton is the top paper for 90% of our. Sanding equipment.
I really like the SIA which I buy from bel air coatings.
A cheaper paper is klingspor which I usually order a wack of from Canadian woodworker.
For me I base a paper on how far it will go before burning out.
If your trying to chew through old varnish or lacquer w paper then your going to use abrasives.
Have a Richards yellow scraper on hand, file it to a razors edge.. amazing how much product we remove in a short period of time.

wannabe
03-13-2021, 10:24 PM
Never heard of that brand.

Norton 3x is good. Home depot has 20 sheet packs. Works out to about half price vs the 3pack. Buy the sheets, cut them in 3rds and off you go. 120 grit should do it. If you use a 60 grit you'll need to use a 120 eventually. Once you hit the oil based paint your sandpaper may gum up a more. Instead of throwing out the paper you can take 30 seconds and scrape off the build up with a utility knife.

FYI. many, many good paint brands do not require a primer just proper dry time before coats and a good sanding.

General paint HP 2000 will get the job done. Cloverdale has a great product too but can't think of the name right now.

GummyMonster
03-14-2021, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
I'll give the Sia and Klingspor a try.
The paint we are using is the Behr primer/paint mix. The old stuff isn't good quality, at least the top layer.
I really don't know what kind of paint they used. In many places, you can peel it off with a fingernail.
Then there is other places that the paint is odd. Some of it will come off decently, while other spots on the same wall are hard like diamond.
We're using 60 grit to start, and even it has a tough time removing some of the paint.
The house is around 60 years old, so I'm not totally sure what types of paint we're dealing with .
Ken

owlhoot
03-14-2021, 09:07 AM
Original Oil paint from 60 years ago most likely contained Lead

MyAlberta
03-14-2021, 09:11 AM
A couple of years back I ran into a problem with a paint job. Things were going great until I opened the 3rd container. At that point the roller wouldn’t lay down and a fine spackle appeared. I take it back to Rona and we both agree that it must have been frozen. They replace it, but same thing. While I’m buying paint from another supplier, relating the story, that stores clerk let’s out a secret that they also ran through an inventory cycle of freeze damaged paint. I was able to finish that job to my satisfaction, but came away with a new outlook.

I know that’s not what your looking for, but I think it’s worthy of a heads up.

Did a Reno on a rental years ago where we stripped wall paper. I was close to saying screw it, replace the wall board, but persisted. Now when I see a papered wall, I cost in reboarding.

ghostguy6
03-16-2021, 10:46 AM
You need to watch this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP2XqXYEZkU

3M cubitron is by far the best for paints and metals.

Grizzly Adams
03-16-2021, 04:41 PM
Original Oil paint from 60 years ago most likely contained Lead

I think the old fix was torch and scraper.

Grizz

Cross Eyed Cowboy
03-16-2021, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure what type of equipment your using but if your trying to entirely remove that top coat of paint I strongly suggest your look at a the mesh type of sanding paper, aggresive cutting action and does not clog easily, normally used on random orbital disc sanders, preferably with a vacum.

https://www.woodessence.com/Abrasives/Abranet-Mesh-Sanding/Mirka-Abranet-ACE-6-H-L-Mesh-Discs

amosfella
03-16-2021, 09:20 PM
Have you tried coarser sandpaper on a belt sander? Or have you tried a citrus or other chemical based stripper? Also, acetone works great, if you like getting high as a kite while working.

DWS
03-16-2021, 09:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP2XqXYEZkU&ab_channel=ProjectFarm

GummyMonster
03-17-2021, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.
I've had good luck using a belt sander, then quickly smoothing it a little more with my finishing sander.
I've ordered a random orbit sander for the rest, and ordered some of the top rated discs in the YouTube comparison.
Thanks,
Ken