PDA

View Full Version : How was your week? 7 days of getting older quickly

Ken07AOVette
03-13-2021, 11:19 AM
End of last week I was in Lloydminster, just walked out of the bank with a big grin on my face. Stepped off the curb onto slush, didnt see the ice.
Smashed head off my truck on the way down, put neck out, back out, wrecked ankle, right ribs took a hit. I checked later, and yep there it was, got it all on dash cam. Great.

Wednesday purolator shows up with a 10' long 6"x6" box, I was all excited because it is the new 8' antenna for my boat! Greet the nice man, go up the 7 stairs and notice the door didn't close.

From the top I reached over with the long box to close the door, which buckled, I stepped into nothing and did a header down the stairs. These aren't the nice carpeted ones going into the basement, they are the lino ones with aluminum runners. Sharp aluminum runners. Neck out, back out, left shoulder, right wrist and thumb. Smoked head on boot rack bottom of the stairs. Nothing broken, I can handle deep throbbing pain and what felt like skin grafts on my right leg and arm. They have mostly healed now. Woo.

Thursday I noticed the water heater was running non-stop. Go downstairs and yep, little water on the floor, control lit up like a christmas tree. Yay.
Into LLoydminster Friday morning, 70 miles to get a water heater and stuff to install it. Turned around 2 miles away from the distributor, forgot the gas tape.

Get home, wife hears a hissing sound from the truck. The bolt sticking out of the tire is very obvious. Unloaded everything, got everything installed, supply connector on the hot side leaking. Great.

Stopped at the local garage to fix the tire, then 70 miles to Canadian Tire and back. They had a decent assortment, so I grabbed some supply lines, a 18" stainless wrapped one, a black covered one, and a kit with 2 in it. They did not have the same copper ones with brass fittings, and I did not want to make another trip. I figured the black one looked the best, but they only had 2 there and I didn't want to wreck someone else's weekend if their water heater went, so I left 1. ha ha ha

Get home, 3 of the 4 supply lines I bought will not thread on, they are specifically made for the job, but short of a 40" snipe on a 24" crescent not happening.

Now it is 7:27PM and Canadian Tire closes at 8:00, I have 35 miles to go with 2 stop signs, 3 route changes and 3 sets of lights. Awesome. I couldn't get ahold of anyone in town that lives close to CT.

I talked to a very nice lady on the phone, told her what was going on. I asked if I gave my credit card number if they could leave it outside for me. No can do. Another lady got on the phone, said she remembered me coming in and buying them, then said she paid for it for me, the next time I came in to find her and give her the $22. If I didn't make it in time she would leave them in a bag outside.

When I got there, they were holding the door for me. I handed her $40 because I did not have a $100 on me, argued with her for a minute, (not supposed to take tips) and was gone again. The hose bib screwed on like it was custom manufactured for that very water heater, if you can imagine it.

I called a friend of mine and was talking about this, had to remind him a few times to breathe, he was absolutely howling. He is a month younger than me, of course he got into the whole 'well at your age, falling is a serious matter, you have to start being more careful, blah blah blah. I said falling at 20 hurts, it's no different over 50 except it takes a few seconds longer to get up. He howled more. I called him a few names, and told him I called him for a reason, his laughing and personality is so contagious he just brightened my day. I hope he popped a rib lol.

This week really needed to end yesterday. I hope yours was better.

sns2
03-13-2021, 11:25 AM
you need weed

Twisted Canuck
03-13-2021, 11:28 AM
Your life sounds way more exciting then mine. All the same, you can keep it, too much excitement isn't a good thing.

I stumbled going up some stairs carrying two pails of Drywall mud, end of December. Thought I pulled my groin, but 3 months later and it's worse and have come to the conclusion I blew a hernia, again. Already repaired once.

At least I didn't hit my head on a truck, on camera.

Austin
03-13-2021, 11:33 AM
Can you post the dash cam video?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Twisted Canuck
03-13-2021, 11:38 AM

I was gonna ask too, but figured he would already have done it. It would be kind of interesting to see though.

scooterj
03-13-2021, 11:40 AM
I was cutting a load of firewood, was falling a twisted birch with a weird hooked trunk. Tree fell pinched saw. Walked to truck to get other saw, got a stick in my eye. Walked back to tree, tried prying saw out with a limb, limb slipped, went flying backward and landed on my ass. No damage. Took another cut out of trunk, saw came out, tree fell but hung up on a pine. Back to truck to get rope. Pulled tree down and cut it up like it owed me money lol. Back to work today to get some rest lol

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Ken07AOVette
03-13-2021, 11:50 AM

Only if you start a gofundme LOL!!! (no)

I was cutting a load of firewood, was falling a twisted birch with a weird hooked trunk. Tree fell pinched saw. Walked to truck to get other saw, got a stick in my eye. Walked back to tree, tried prying saw out with a limb, limb slipped, went flying backward and landed on my ass. No damage. Took another cut out of trunk, saw came out, tree fell but hung up on a pine. Back to truck to get rope. Pulled tree down and cut it up like it owed me money lol. Back to work today to get some rest lol

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Aw that sucks. I was trimming trees or mowing grass, not sure what last year, but turned my head and a stick went right into my ear. Holy hell that hurt. I am certain it hit my eye from the inside.

Ken07AOVette
03-13-2021, 11:50 AM
Your life sounds way more exciting then mine. All the same, you can keep it, too much excitement isn't a good thing.

I stumbled going up some stairs carrying two pails of Drywall mud, end of December. Thought I pulled my groin, but 3 months later and it's worse and have come to the conclusion I blew a hernia, again. Already repaired once.

At least I didn't hit my head on a truck, on camera.

At least it was my own truck and camera. lol

fishtank
03-13-2021, 11:53 AM
dont worry ken, bad thing only happen in 3's and looks like you got all of it..:bad_boys_20:

jstubbs
03-13-2021, 11:59 AM
I have viewed this dash cam footage and can confirm it was hilarious. :bad_boys_20:

Overall, your week at least made a good read for the rest of us! Next week will be better.

Pixel Shooter
03-13-2021, 12:03 PM
you need a bubble lol

https://i.postimg.cc/3x4nNmMz/MV5-BZWVh-Zm-U5-Nm-Yt-NTQz-MS00-ZTIw-LTky-MTgt-Nm-Y2-Mm-I2-Nz-I0-Mj-Qw-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-OTY0-Nz-E2-NTU-V1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/MnwyrcpY)online image host (https://postimages.org/)

KGB
03-13-2021, 12:11 PM
Took my dog for a walk this morning. Right in the middle of the street a nice wet spot... well it wasn’t a water, it was ICE. Landed on my ass and elbows pretty hard, in the middle of the paddle. Pants are wet, jacket is wet... Had a walk of shame all the way home...
Hope it made you feel better now, lol!

Ken07AOVette
03-13-2021, 12:15 PM
you need a bubble lol

https://i.postimg.cc/3x4nNmMz/MV5-BZWVh-Zm-U5-Nm-Yt-NTQz-MS00-ZTIw-LTky-MTgt-Nm-Y2-Mm-I2-Nz-I0-Mj-Qw-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-OTY0-Nz-E2-NTU-V1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/MnwyrcpY)online image host (https://postimages.org/)

Lol that's funny, that movie.just showed up on Starz

Took my dog for a walk this morning. Right in the middle of the street a nice wet spot... well it wasn’t a water, it was ICE. Landed on my ass and elbows pretty hard, in the middle of the paddle. Pants are wet, jacket is wet... Had a walk of shame all the way home...

Sure don't, I felt that. Hope you are ok

tri777
03-13-2021, 12:16 PM
Took my dog for a walk this morning. Right in the middle of the street a nice wet spot...
well it wasn’t a water, it was ICE. Landed on my ass and elbows pretty hard, in the middle of the paddle.
Pants are wet, jacket is wet... Had a walk of shame all the way home...

I had that same fall of shame last march, went to town, stepped out onto very slick ice, and "whoosh",
right under the truck I went only stopping as I grabbed the running board.. crawling out felt like
20mins as people driving by howled like Ken's friend did I'm sure.

wwbirds
03-13-2021, 12:23 PM
Perhaps that will put an end to the old whitewhiskers "falling could really be serious at your old age"
Toughen the he double hockey sticks up young fella!
the last time I fell bad enough to break bones I left for Mexico 2 days later as it was far better to complain and recuperate at 28 degrees than -28 degrees and I didnt seek the sympathy vote on AO buttercup. bwahhaaha:sHa_shakeshout:

bobtodrick
03-13-2021, 12:32 PM
Holy crap Ken!!
Only one good thing about this post...after a busy week at work and all the aches and pains I’ve accumulated as I get older, I read this post and thought I absolutely have the world by the tail 😃

kilgoretrout
03-13-2021, 12:38 PM
Thank you for the read ..... I am glad to find out its not just me ..... Cheers

Off in the Bushes
03-13-2021, 12:50 PM
Video or the fall never happened. 😂

Ken07AOVette
03-13-2021, 12:57 PM
Holy crap Ken!!
Only one good thing about this post...after a busy week at work and all the aches and pains I’ve accumulated as I get older, I read this post and thought I absolutely have the world by the tail 😃

Right on. I am generally good, for the most part haven't done the Wilted White Whisker Quickstep that ended me upside down for a long time, but 2 in that short of time reminded me of my age for sure.

One good thing was getting busy and working seemed to be the best for these incidents anyway, I was able to get back in gear the next day. A couple good long soaks helped, and I never touched a painkiller.

The bad luck streak did continue though, as I was taking stuff into the basement I threw a 10' tube (exhaust replacement for the water heater) down. Of course it hit JUST perfectly, tore a big 'C' out of the carpet 3" wide and 5" long, just as neat as you can't imagine. Today I will try and trim it, get some contact cement and double side tape under it and hopefully patch it. If not I will find a spot somewhere behind a couch or something that I can cut a bigger piece out, and find a carpet mechanic someday to fix it right.

Argh.

Ken07AOVette
03-13-2021, 12:59 PM
Perhaps that will put an end to the old whitewhiskers "falling could really be serious at your old age"
Toughen the he double hockey sticks up young fella!
the last time I fell bad enough to break bones I left for Mexico 2 days later as it was far better to complain and recuperate at 28 degrees than -28 degrees and I didnt seek the sympathy vote on AO buttercup. bwahhaaha:sHa_shakeshout:

Hey now Methusula, when we hit triple digits like you tripping over a quarter and smashing your hip is a real concern!!! :angry3:

I said some nice things to you, behind your back I am sure, about the Wilted White Whiskers quickstep! :)

huntinstuff
03-13-2021, 03:28 PM
Sounds like me

It was dark, i had a towel wrapped around my waist, hit my knees on the mattress and landed on a hot 6' tall blonde.....didnt bang my head tho, so ive got that going for me....

Somehunter
03-13-2021, 04:36 PM
Sounds like me

It was dark, i had a towel wrapped around my waist, hit my knees on the mattress and landed on a hot 6' tall blonde.....didnt bang my head tho, so ive got that going for me....

Atta boy!!!!

MountainTi
03-13-2021, 05:05 PM
Sounds like me

Hopefully someone did. If not, sure sign of getting old

Mavrick
03-13-2021, 05:21 PM
I was having a great day yesterday, wife even made apple pie...then the dam in laws showed up. I only got one slice of pie, and talking to the Brother in law is like banging your head for three hours.

RandyBoBandy
03-13-2021, 05:27 PM
Sounds like me

Dear Penthouse....I read that one :sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

wwbirds
03-13-2021, 05:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRZpaxBMJRU

RandyBoBandy
03-13-2021, 05:29 PM
How does that go?? Bigger they are, the harder they fall :sHa_sarcasticlol:
I'm glad I have razor sharp reflexes and balance :sHa_sarcasticlol:

huntinstuff
03-13-2021, 05:37 PM
talking to the brother in law is like banging your head for three hours.

😅😅😅😅

thumper
03-13-2021, 11:40 PM
It takes me longer to get up, because once I'm down there I might as well check under the couch for those keys I can't find, pull some of the dogs toys out from under the hutch and admire the dust bunnies behind the TV stand ... No sense in wasting a trip!

graybeard
03-14-2021, 08:12 AM
A guy can only handle one of those weeks, once in a blue moon.

Today is the start of a new week..... :)

Good luck

Zip
03-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Your bad week kinda made me laugh this morning, now I’m not laughing with you...I’m actually laughing at you. Welcome to the watch your step old guys club...you have finally arrived and I’m glad you didn’t have any lasting effects from your fall...but I’m still laughing buddy...Sorry!
Zip:)

bessiedog
03-14-2021, 08:56 AM
Ooh man!
That video would be great.

Sucks gettin old but I’m glad your alright buddy.

I was trail runnin hiking way up there yesterday AM and got bit by what my kids call a ‘wood sneck’
Damn root sent me sprawling.

I’m sure my dog laughed.... and laughed hard.

NCC
03-14-2021, 08:57 AM
As Raylan Givens says, “getting old ain’t for *******”. (Slang for cat)

walker1
03-14-2021, 11:16 AM
Slipped on fresh snow over ice one year ago next week when all the nuts were running for toilet paper. Fractured ankle and did a number on it. Fibula shattered and tore ligaments. A plate with 8 screws and a horizontal screw to attach to tibia. Had hardware out 7 weeks ago but I still have a Kankle instead of an ankle!!!!! Be careful out there!!!!

heymshooter
03-14-2021, 11:54 AM
Oh man thanks, my bad back feels much better now

Bigwoodsman
03-14-2021, 12:13 PM
Sounds like me

I had the same thing happen to me last night only thing different is she was 5’7! Nice soft landing though

BW

Ken07AOVette
03-14-2021, 12:31 PM
I had the same thing happen to me last night only thing different is she was 5’7! Nice soft landing though

BW

57? Little young for you haha

Bigwoodsman
03-14-2021, 12:33 PM
57? Little young for you haha

Ken that number is her height! You sure your noggin is ok? Lol

BW

Ken07AOVette
03-14-2021, 12:47 PM

BW

Height and age the same? Midget Cradle robber ! Hehe

Red Bullets
03-14-2021, 01:05 PM

BW

If she was laying down wouldn't you give her length instead? :) :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken, hopefully last week was just a burp in time. And I also hope you fell fast enough to not see it coming. It is a sad day when a guy gets to the age you have to be on guard and watch and plot your moves. We all get to those realizations at some point.

I hate when the ground jumps up in front of a guy and before you know it you are listening for buffalo. I have only had one bad fall in years thank heavens. Only suffered some gravel makeup, a lightly loose tooth and broken glasses.

Redfrog
03-14-2021, 01:57 PM
I have a buddy who's has had a similar week. He's about 65 and fit.

"March 9"
Well, I got through my pre-surgery clearance this morning: blood work, EKG, chest x-ray. The only surgery I have had was in 1962 for my tonsils. The world is a lot more CYA today. Can't blame the Doc's. My shoulder surgery will be March 23rd. Thanks for everyone's support. "

March 12

" Equilibrium side effect from Moderna shot #1. Got it Monday. Monday night collapsed on kitchen floor. Could not move for 15 minutes. Tuesday, woke up on bedroom floor (tile) at 3 AM with injured ankle. Wednesday tried to work, couldn't get around. Thursday ankle very swollen, discolored on both sides, very painful. Emergency Room-X-Rays-Ankle Fracture-Soft Cast-Referred to Ortho-Appt Monday-Not allowed to do anything until Ortho appointment. My sister had the same equilibrium issues after her Moderna shot with the injuries. Frustrated does not cover. Please excuse the whine..."

"March 14"
"Fell again sprained right shoulder ambulance ride to er xray cr brain scan blood tests Friends have taken me for a couple days to keep me from hurting my last healthy limb"

It's tough on a guy who is active to have to sit on the couch padded in with cushions.

Old age ain't easy.

JULIUS
03-15-2021, 07:10 AM
Wow Great that you survived a week like that . A few weeks ago when we had that cold snap I was visiting a friend up in grande prairie and on the morning I was leaving my truck window froze up. Needing my road coffee I did the drive thru at macdonalds ( this is when I discovered the frozen window) no problem opened the door and gave my order.Problem was when I stepped out to get the coffee I fell flat on my ass . I am sure the attendant and all those behind me in the line had a good laugh to start their day. I was lucky and did not get more than a few sore muscles for a few days. I do not think I would have survived a week like yours.

saskbooknut
03-15-2021, 07:15 AM
I ache all over, just reading about your adventures.
Good luck. Here's hoping for a better week to come.

HyperMOA
03-15-2021, 07:18 AM
Ken I hope today starts a better week for you.

Albertadiver
03-15-2021, 09:22 AM
Is the truck ok??

:scared0018:

Kurt505
03-15-2021, 10:35 AM
You need to wear a helmet Ken!

Ken07AOVette
03-15-2021, 10:40 AM

Really?

I do?

But my son does not have a BMX bike.... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

(how many months were you laid up pal?) :)

tri777
03-15-2021, 10:41 AM
Really?

I do?

You have been checkmated Kurt, lol.

Kurt505
03-15-2021, 10:42 AM
Really?

I do?

I’ll tell you once I’m back to normal, 34 months so far :sHa_shakeshout:

58thecat
03-15-2021, 10:42 AM

and tighten up the chin strap too:)

Ken07AOVette
03-15-2021, 10:53 AM
and tighten up the chin strap too:)

But I don't wear a toupe'

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Drewski Canuck
03-15-2021, 11:42 AM
dont worry ken, bad thing only happen in 3's and looks like you got all of it..:bad_boys_20:

BAD LUCK comes in 3s & 7s!!!!

But Ken is now in the clear, I think.

But just in case, can I take a policy of life insurance out on you with me being the beneficiary?

Sounds like a good bet to me!!!

Drewski

thumper
03-16-2021, 12:16 AM
Some days, you just regret chewing through those leather restraints that morning ....

Reeves1
03-16-2021, 07:27 AM
Some days, you just regret chewing through those leather restraints that morning ....

:sHa_shakeshout:

10 days ago I "took" a "stumble" and landed on my front left & left side ribs.
Broke several. No X-ray till yesterday, because one on the left isn't healing. Get a painful "clunk" when I try to sneeze, take a deep breath etc.
Shows a black spot on the Rays.
"Here, take these pills & one day it will get better" LOL (not taking the pills)

zabbo
03-16-2021, 07:45 AM
Gee whiz Ken, you' re going good have to be a little more careful! :)

tirebob
03-16-2021, 08:29 AM
Jeez bud! I hope this week gets better for you... Got all your bad luck out at once!

FXSB
03-16-2021, 10:12 AM

BW

Video???

Stinky Buffalo
03-16-2021, 11:57 AM
Aw, Ken! Sorry to hear about your tottering age-induced pratfalls.

Seriously, though, glad you're ok. :wave:

Had a weird one early this winter while walking onto the driveway - I stepped onto a patch of ice, slipped forward and bounced off the Jeep.

This is in front of Incredigirl and the kids.

Not to disappoint them, I snapped back to my feet and pretended that nothing happened. From their angle, they thought I had put my head into the vehicle. I had to convince them that it was only my shoulder that made contact, and with the plastic wheel trim at that.

I noticed that they are watching me a lot more closely as I get older. I can't imagine what it'll be like when I'm your age! :lol:

Is the truck ok??

:scared0018:

Gold.

cranky
03-16-2021, 05:12 PM
Actually I'm glad Ken started this post. I usually keep it to myself,but the last few years I've fallen or tripped on something quite a bit. Thought it was my head injury,balance is off or something. But after reading guys on here saying getting older this is what happens gives me some relief. Would never have thought old age is causing that.

Ken07AOVette
03-16-2021, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys, and I hope most of you heal well too lol.

The first fall was just unseen ice, I am believe it or not still quite nimble for an old guy, can still kick 7' quite easy but not as often. :( No more karate for me :fighting0030:

The 2nd was just lets call it a pre-senior moment, was a few inches closer to the edge than I thought and lost balance. Poor spatial awareness which I generally do not have a problem with. I test myself quite often just to see which things are and are not working, and since I have been fighting a hernia for a couple years I have been extra careful with my left side. Both of these affected my right side, which is a relief all things considered.