PDA

View Full Version : Ok you kayak people pass on your great wisdom to a newbie

Smoky buck
03-13-2021, 12:15 PM
Well after a pain in the rear of lack of availability and a bunch of research on what kayaks would fit our needs I have finally taken the plunge. Looks like within roughly a month there will be a pair of 2021 hobie compass kayaks arriving for the wife and I. The fact they upgraded the drive on the compass for 2021 and availability was the final choice. Almost went Jackson bite as they also had good features but availability was the final factor

Anyone considering a pedal drive fishing kayak better get on it not much available and after contacting multiple dealers in multiple provinces it looks like most will only be getting a few small batches

So what do you feel are must haves for new kayak fisher peoples?

What do you use for transport? Thinking bed extender maybe a rack for my truck

Storage what better wall hooks or pulley system from the roof or a rack to stack them?

Any advice would be great

jkind
03-13-2021, 05:19 PM
For transporting my Hobie Outback I use a Thule Hullavator(pricey) but have used PVC pipe running lengthwise under the kayaks on a utility trailer. I use the PVC pipe bolted to 2x4's and hang the kayak from the ceiling of the garage.

As for accessories I use a Hobie crate for tackle plus a few rod holders on the gunwales, a Garmin fishfinder, S2 net, Scotty Anchor Lock for my rear mounted anchor, measuring board(for tourney's), and a safety flag so ski boats don't run over me.

As you can see I am a gear hound :thinking-006:

I would recommend tethering everything you don't want to lose as I have turtled my kayak on one occasion.

If you haven't yet I would suggest joining the Western Canada Kayak Fishing group on Facebook. There are several kayak pro staff in the group.

Jim

Smoky buck
03-13-2021, 05:59 PM
Jim do you have any pics of how you are hanging your kayak with pvc

jkind
03-13-2021, 06:07 PM
Hanging in my garage.

Smoky buck
03-13-2021, 06:32 PM
Thanks