PDA

View Full Version : Alberta 'Geothermal' Success ❗

Selkirk
03-13-2021, 02:36 PM
https://files2.abingcdn.com/balkaneu.com/uploads/2020/09/03162433/geothermal.png

They've been working on this project since 2018 👉 https://globalnews.ca/news/7694371/geothermal-test-success-alberta/

Selkirk

jstubbs
03-13-2021, 05:43 PM
Very exciting stuff. I know a girl who works for Terrapin. Some groundbreaking stuff happenin there!

skidderman
03-13-2021, 06:30 PM
It would be interesting to know the cost vs conventional systems.

ram crazy
03-13-2021, 06:41 PM
Nothing like global warming at its finest!! Cooling the earths core.

liar
03-13-2021, 07:51 PM
Nothing like global warming at its finest!! Cooling the earths core.
The core is approximately 2000 miles down and has a radius of 2000 miles , the deepest well drilled is about 7 miles deep . Everything man does , from clearing farm land , to logging , to hydrocarbon extraction effects the world , but i dont think this is going to cool the earth enough to dramatically effect our environment .

flyrodfisher
03-13-2021, 07:57 PM
Can't we just hook all our politicians up to this?
They spew out enough hot air to keep those turbines spinning...

Map Maker
03-13-2021, 09:10 PM
The core is approximately 2000 miles down and has a radius of 2000 miles , the deepest well drilled is about 7 miles deep . Everything man does , from clearing farm land , to logging , to hydrocarbon extraction effects the world , but i dont think this is going to cool the earth enough to dramatically effect our environment .

If the centre of the core was 2000miles from us surface dwellers, and the core had a radius of 2000 miles, then wouldn’t we be standing on the core?

big zeke
03-13-2021, 09:21 PM
On that old carbon neutral thing...do they count the carbon used in drilling, maintaining and abandoning these wells? Guessing there might be a bit tied up there. Given the depths they need to go there might be a bit of expensive carbon in making all that well casing and cement.

Some firms, when crunching these numbers, account for carbon generated for crew travel, camp operations and office staff...all are necessary to acquire this free energy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for lowered impact but zero is a lofty goal and achieving it thru taxes/levies etc only works if everyone taxes the same (lookin' at you China)

At least the energy is free(ish)
Zeke

liar
03-14-2021, 07:07 AM
If the centre of the core was 2000miles from us surface dwellers, and the core had a radius of 2000 miles, then wouldn’t we be standing on the core?
yes

liar
03-14-2021, 07:24 AM
On that old carbon neutral thing...do they count the carbon used in drilling, maintaining and abandoning these wells? Guessing there might be a bit tied up there. Given the depths they need to go there might be a bit of expensive carbon in making all that well casing and cement.

Some firms, when crunching these numbers, account for carbon generated for crew travel, camp operations and office staff...all are necessary to acquire this free energy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for lowered impact but zero is a lofty goal and achieving it thru taxes/levies etc only works if everyone taxes the same (lookin' at you China)

At least the energy is free(ish)
Zeke

All true , but this has the potential to actually replace hydrocarbon fired power generating stations . Wind and solar are great ideas but may or may not supply the needed power at peak demands , therefore they can reduce the load on hc fired power plants but these plants still have to be running and on line to generate power if it clouds over or the wind stops .
Shutting down a hc fired plant would have much greater impact than just taking some of the load off .

brewster29
03-14-2021, 07:46 AM

Nowhere is the word centre used except by you...