PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with electric cooler’s?

ice
03-13-2021, 11:45 PM
Looking to get and electric cooler. Has anyone here used one, if so how is it.
What brands would you reccomend, and can these coolers be set for refrigeration aswell as freezing?

Coiloil37
03-14-2021, 04:31 AM
I’ve used the Engels at work a lot. I’ve seen a few issues but they’re repairable and they’ve been pretty solid. Probably the best on the market, the failures I’ve seen have been on old fridges that saw extreme usage.
Wife got me a dometic for my birthday a few years back and it’s been solid. Most of the time it’s in the boat. I keep it up in the cabin unless we are sleeping and this is the only pic I can find on my phone.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210314/0ea726f2fdeae01768255eec77803807.jpg

I think it’s a 45 liter, holds all the beer and lunch on the boat, goes in the back of the truck when we head up the beach, freezes anything if I set it colder. I fully expect it to die prematurely from being subjected to salt water and the usual pounding of trying to run to fast in heavy seas but so far it’s been solid.
My house bank charges any time the outboard is running off an alternator charger but the fridge will run all night or one day on a deep cycle without issue.

catnthehat
03-14-2021, 07:56 AM
I absolutely LOVE mine, it's a freezer.
We take it with us on our annual bird hunts when we are away for weeks at aa time.
Take it into the hotel room and pug it in!:sHa_shakeshout:
One thing I have been warned about and others have had the misfortune to do, is too leave it plugged into your vehicle all night- dead battery every time!:budo:
However if everything is frozen, there is no need , they are very well insulated.
Cat

hilt134
03-14-2021, 09:52 AM
We have a cheaper cooler than runs off the wall and car. Absolutely killer for doing a city grocery trip in the summer. Did not know freezers where an option. Will have to look into it

oilngas
03-14-2021, 09:57 AM
We have an elcheapo (Coleman)electric cooler (maybe $100 years ago), It works fine given the limitations of poor insulation and cooling system. I plug it in night before a trip, mostly just beverages and stuff in the morning and were off with the trailer. Use it as an outside cooler when we have power. Ive had issues with the 12 V socket power cord but they were an easy fix. But again run into the elcheapo issues, it works fit for purpose. If i was to buy another one i would get a better one with real insulation and a better cooling system.

philintheblank
03-14-2021, 10:17 AM
My Dad loves his, he has used it for a few road trips all across the country. I think it is just a Canadian tire special.

stubblejumper01
03-14-2021, 11:10 AM
Check with 4 Wheel Parts They sell the combo fridge/ freezer. They are expensive but very well built. Lots of reviews online also.

Sooner
03-14-2021, 12:04 PM
I absolutely LOVE mine, it's a freezer.
We take it with us on our annual bird hunts when we are away for weeks at aa time.
Take it into the hotel room and pug it in!:sHa_shakeshout:
One thing I have been warned about and others have had the misfortune to do, is too leave it plugged into your vehicle all night- dead battery every time!:budo:
However if everything is frozen, there is no need , they are very well insulated.
Cat

Agree, watch how long it is plugged in to your vehicle, if that's your plan.

Years back we met a family in the Radium Parking lot at closing one night. Their mini van would not start as the battery was dead. Couldn't figure out why. I seen the cooler and it plugged into the lighter plug. I said how long has that been plugged in, all day he says. He couldn't grasp that the cooler killed his battery.

So I roll the ole 7.3 up and grab my booster cables. He wouldn't let me boost his van with my truck running. Said 2 batteries make it a 24V and I would fry his system. Um ok.

Then I said where you staying, Invermere he said. I nicely said you should see if your motel owner can lend you a battery charger for the night. He said, why, it will charge back up by the time I drive back from the pool. Clueless but I did my good deed.

Wife got one from Costco but that was years back. It did a good job. I'm sure a search of their website will show if they still sell some.

Frog
03-14-2021, 04:07 PM
I have one, it’s a few years old and works fine but I like my drinks really cold and it doesn’t get that cold. If you read the specs, it will say how much it cools from ambient temperature. So I found on a warm day it might get down to 5-10 degrees Celsius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk