PDA

View Full Version : Winston Churchill. A Good Sunday Read

Twisted Canuck
03-14-2021, 11:30 AM
For all his faults and failings, yet he was a brilliant man and leader, and perhaps one of the greatest with a turn of phrase. His quotes are many, and all worth consideration.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/the-best-winston-churchill-quotes/

Red Bullets
03-14-2021, 12:26 PM
I'm learning more about the man right now. My good friend was commissioned recently to do a large bronze sculpture of Churchill that will be placed in Calgary.

Grizzly Adams
03-14-2021, 01:47 PM
He'd be appalled at how we've thrown away everything he fought for .

Grizz

Grizzly Adams
03-14-2021, 01:49 PM
I'm learning more about the man right now. My good friend was commissioned recently to do a large bronze sculpture of Churchill that will be placed in Calgary.

There is a Churchill Society in Calgary, are they commissioning it ? He's another one of those historic characters the Cancel Culture finds fault with, someone, no doubt, will take offense.

Grizz

Twisted Canuck
03-14-2021, 02:40 PM
There is a Churchill Society in Calgary, are they commissioning it ? He's another one of those historic characters the Cancel Culture finds fault with, someone, no doubt, will take offense.

Grizz

Yes, they seem to hate the wisdom of an old white guy who helped save the world from Nazi Germany.

I hope it is for private display. Would hate to see it get the John A McDonald treatment from all the ingrates who never bothered to read the wisdom of Churchill.

.264 Win Mag
03-14-2021, 03:36 PM

Grizz

I couldn’t agree more. He’s probably rolling over in his grave.

WolfmanAB
03-14-2021, 04:43 PM
Churchill was witty and had certain qualities, but he was ruthless in a sociopathic manner and a drunk. Well aware he gets a pass due to the war, but he had more than a few skeletons in his closet. Made a bad peace time PM. Not a fan of his, however, all of the buggers of WWII were black hats to some degree - from downright wicked to Machiavellian gaslighters. That said, the wars to kill Europeans and freedom also sapped it of its vitality and now we see the net result. The UK never won at all. What it won was a Pyrrhic victory. The freedoms we retained was at a cost: lots of blood and misery. Look how quickly we're throwing it away like drunken sailors. I just communicated with an fellow in Ontario whose dad was WWII generation (like my dad) and back in the 60s you could buy pistols from Mexico in the mail, no problem. The sky didn't fall. No kittens were had for lunch. It wasn't until Turd I and the USA 68 laws that what we see today started. Didn't take long after a big war.

wildwoods
03-14-2021, 04:45 PM

wildwoods
03-14-2021, 04:45 PM

Grizz

This x1,000,000

Twisted Canuck
03-14-2021, 06:26 PM
Churchill was witty and had certain qualities, but he was ruthless in a sociopathic manner and a drunk. Well aware he gets a pass due to the war, but he had more than a few skeletons in his closet. Made a bad peace time PM. Not a fan of his, however, all of the buggers of WWII were black hats to some degree - from downright wicked to Machiavellian gaslighters. That said, the wars to kill Europeans and freedom also sapped it of its vitality and now we see the net result. The UK never won at all. What it won was a Pyrrhic victory. The freedoms we retained was at a cost: lots of blood and misery. Look how quickly we're throwing it away like drunken sailors. I just communicated with an fellow in Ontario whose dad was WWII generation (like my dad) and back in the 60s you could buy pistols from Mexico in the mail, no problem. The sky didn't fall. No kittens were had for lunch. It wasn't until Turd I and the USA 68 laws that what we see today started. Didn't take long after a big war.

There are certainly two sides to the Churchill story. Most don't realize that Bomber Command under Harris, under orders from Winston, bombed civilian populations in Germany before the Germans bombed London. Look it up if you doubt it. Churchill was certainly an old time Glorious War Leader.

Nevertheless, in the historical context of the threat from Germany, he was the right man at the right time. Sure, he liked his booze and cigars in a hot sudsy tub. He was an elitist.

But the reality is, some men, by disposition, intelligence, and merit, are far more able, useful, and necessary during pivotal points in history, then the common man.

Some people are just more able and excellent then others. Despite their flaws.

And some are just so insufficient and incompetent despite their advantages. Like our PM.

History bears this out, despite the Savage revisionists.

For those who want to read about Harris and the area bombing in Germany, this link. There are more. In a nutshell, Britain bombed Berlin in August of 1940, and Germany began bombing London in September of 1940. After England targeted civilian populations. Most don't know this or recognize it. But it is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Arthur_Harris,_1st_Baronet

Red Bullets
03-14-2021, 07:04 PM

Grizz

Yes it was the Society that commissioned him. Danek has many sculptures displayed publicly and over the years a couple have been defaced in some way. Not just political figures as his policeman or fireman sculptures have been hit too. Acts of vandalism more so than politically motivated.

I'm just waiting for the vegan's to demand for Mundare to take down the big kielbasa sculpture :sHa_sarcasticlol:

nelsonob1
03-14-2021, 09:35 PM
Sir your drunk. Madam your ugly, and i will be sober in the morning.

Twisted Canuck
03-14-2021, 09:54 PM
Sir your drunk. Madam your ugly, and i will be sober in the morning.

Haha! Classic. Also, when a lady member of parliament said she would poison him if she were his wife....

'Madame, if you were my wife I would drink it....'

qwert
03-15-2021, 08:58 AM
For all his faults and failings, yet he was a brilliant man and leader, and perhaps one of the greatest with a turn of phrase. His quotes are many, and all worth consideration.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/the-best-winston-churchill-quotes/

"A gentleman seldom needs a pistol,
but when he does,
he needs it very much."

Good Luck, YMMV.