PDA

View Full Version : Dolberg Lake Bait Ban??????

Ribolovac
03-14-2021, 02:29 PM
Went fishing with my boys to Dolberg yesterday, fish were not biting but what a beautiful day.

Very disappointed to see a 454g bag of shrimp rotting in the parking lot, 2 empty trout worm containers and a bag of black maggots in the outhouse. We also found on the ice and threw in the garbage 2 more packs of old maggots and 2 containers of trout worms on the lake. As well as an area with a lot of corn dumped on the ice, maybe someone was eating it, ya right? This is at a lake with a bait ban.

Then a fisherman walks up in the afternoon and asks are they biting and what kind of bait we are using, I replied no and no bait as there is a bait ban. He laughed and said that is why we are not catching anything and told us to use worms and that he brought home 5 last week all over 16 inches, two over 20. (There is also a one fish over 50cm limit). I had to try to explain to my 6 and 8 year old how no one should use bait after hearing someone tell us to use bait and evidence of it everywhere and a lesson on poaching.

King Salmon
03-14-2021, 03:20 PM
Call in to the RAP line and tell them about all the bait packages and people poaching out there. Maybe they will increase rounds on the area. Its really sad to see, when there are so many other lakes that already have the 5 trout any size and bait allowed option for these poachers that are too lazy to read the regs. Good on you for showing your kids the right way to do things.

Frank_NK28
03-14-2021, 03:21 PM
Is it a bait ban or baitfish ban?

Doc
03-14-2021, 11:33 PM
Dolberg has a complete bait ban. It is open all year but restricted one trout per day over 50cm (20"). There are a lot of anglers in Barrhead area choked about these regulations saying that the Edmonton NLFT TU chapter is responsible for these changes and it wasn't discussed with any other stakeholders which just isn't true. Anglers in the Barrhead area either didn't take much of an interest in the survey put out or because of poor communication from the local biologist, didn't hear about the survey regarding ideas in turning Dolberg into a quality fishery. You can read all about here...

https://www.townandcountrytoday.com/print-only/biologist-claims-responsiblity-for-decision-on-dolberg-lake-regulation-change-1870674

In any event, everytime you see a bait container, see someone poaching or believe the regulations are being broken, call the RAP line. Even if they can't make it to the lake there is then a record of your call and when these records pile up, something will be done.

Cheers