PDA

View Full Version : Truck Camper on a Flatdeck Trailer

Dodge
03-14-2021, 02:46 PM
Looking for insight on hauling a truck camper on a flat-deck trailer. Looking at purchasing a truck camper and installing it on a gooseneck 20' flatdeck trailer. I figure there would be enough deck space with the camper loaded to fit a couple quads on the back. Towing with a one ton truck so weight wise it isn't a problem. Just wondering about towing at highway speeds, it would suit my intended purpose well. Anyone else have this setup? Pros / Cons? Thanks.

tool
03-14-2021, 03:02 PM
Why not put the camper on the truck as it was intended and pull a bumper pull trailer for your quads?

I have seen the setup you are talking about many times before. Always looks awkward to me but it certainly will work if that’s what you wish.

Remember that all the weight is going to be on the hitch of that thing with the camper sitting on the front of your trailer and you aren’t going to like jacking it every time you hook and unhook.

257Shooter
03-14-2021, 03:06 PM
I have a 9.5 foot Bigfoot on a tandem trailer that I pull with a 1/2 ton truck.
The camper (from what I am told) is 2500 lbs. Haven't ran it over scales to check, it pulls just fine. Fuel economy sucked!
I have moved it around a bit to get the weight over the axles properly and also had to build a pedestal to set it on due to the plumbing sitting lower than the camper bottom.
I have seen some units going down the road set up like mine. Quads fit perfect under the camper overhang.
The way you are describing what your set up would be should work very well.
Google is your friend for images and links to camping forums.

icecold
03-14-2021, 03:14 PM
Don't personally know anyone with this set up but think it's a great idea. Unload the machines and instant patio...seen it done a few times over the years I would venture it's probably cheeper, more practice and keeps the finer half happier having a dedicated toy hauler. That said would love a set up like that but don't have the space own a big enough truck or gooseneck lol

Peace Meal Farm
03-14-2021, 03:27 PM
a few folks up here run this 'redneck toy hauler' setup. most seem to put the camper over the front axle, leaving enough room at the back to put a quad at the rear. their other misc gear seems to go toward the front, under the overhang.

i suspect this leaves a decent weight balance when the quads aren't on, plus allows for typical machine loading with ramps at the back end.

57charlie
03-14-2021, 03:40 PM
Have you considered looking in to getting a proper toy hauler?

Redneck 7
03-14-2021, 03:43 PM
Lots of 4x4 or rock crawling rigs are set up like that. It’s works great because once you’re set up. Unhook the trailer and you have a truck to run around in if needed. Also the patio out the door is nice so you’re not down in the mud.

I currently have a 10’ camper on a 17’ flat deck bumper pull. Have the camper on the axles, 16” of a step off the back. 6’ upfront under the overhang for storage or cooking once parked. Towing I have a quad there, and an empty box to haul game or another quad. It works good and I enjoy it, I built a 2x8 floor system under the camper for more storage and give it a little height for the quad on the front.

urban rednek
03-14-2021, 03:44 PM
It works well, this was Rick's first set up for travelling to Ultra 4 competitions. This link goes directly to the photo gallery, scroll right for alternate views.
https://www.facebook.com/E-mortal-Customs-116803838398998/photos/a.633938596685517/866338143445560

All the tools (generator, compressor, hand tools) as well as camping gear were stored under the camper. He said being able to sit on the deck, out of the mud, was definitely a luxury on the rainy race weekends.
His biggest complaint was the lack of space in the camper, and no indoor shower facility. Even on dry tracks you end up covered in dirt. He eventually upgraded to a full size RV and enclosed trailer for the race rig and tools.

waldedw
03-14-2021, 03:47 PM
Looking for insight on hauling a truck camper on a flat-deck trailer. Looking at purchasing a truck camper and installing it on a gooseneck 20' flatdeck trailer. I figure there would be enough deck space with the camper loaded to fit a couple quads on the back. Towing with a one ton truck so weight wise it isn't a problem. Just wondering about towing at highway speeds, it would suit my intended purpose well. Anyone else have this setup? Pros / Cons? Thanks.

Yup no reason you can't do that, works like a hot darn and depending on the camper you will have 10' at the back and easily fir a couple quads and hunting stuff back there. One of the guys that used to hunt with us years ago had the same set up, deck it off in camp and your good to go.

Redneck 7
03-14-2021, 08:07 PM
https://i.imgur.com/HSEltG1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QYtsqrk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8cJE5DZ.jpg

Here’s some pictures of my set up from last year spring bear. I know it’s not want you’re looking into but it’s an option. I was going to do the same thing to a goose neck but then you lose your truck box due to the hitch. Also having a 30’ goose neck down lease roads or in the back country of Alberta is a little iffy. So I settled for the smaller, more agile set up to camp where I plan to hunt.

Paint is coming to the outside this spring. Can’t wait for the last touch.

Alberta bull hunter
03-14-2021, 08:52 PM
I have done this a long time ago as well. I had an old light camper so it was shoved right against the neck and weight was not an issue. With the camper against the neck I put 2x4’s down the side and across the back of the camper and screwed them into my trailer deck. I also tied the camper down with straps of course as you need that down pull but the 2x4’s were able to make sure the camper couldn’t rattle around or slide if a strap came loose especially going off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arty
03-14-2021, 10:41 PM
I built a few trailer cabins for a 16-foot flatdeck, and am strongly in favor of having a set of roll-on/roll-off cabins or chassis for one. That way you can choose what specialized unit best suits the purpose of the day. For example, you could put on a big cabin for extended stays somewhere w/ friends, or a little one and carry a sled, or a shallow bucket chassis to carry coal or gravel, or a boat-carrying chassis, whatever.

But I'd never throw a box 'camper' style unit onto my trailer because they generally have very poor aerodynamics, and I find those are too cramped. Not to mention I would certainly build something lighter, stronger and better insulated than one of those.

I'd probably get a 20-foot deckover next time. Two 3500# axles for a half-ton, or 7000#ers for a 3/4 ton or larger. The heavier trailer might weigh 1000 lbs more empty.