PDA

View Full Version : Speed Limit increase to 120 kmph

JohninAB
03-14-2021, 06:48 PM
Did not see this discussed anywhere else so thought I would post it.

A UCP MLA has put forth a private members bill to increase the speed limit on some of the highways in Alberta to 120 kmph.

Personally I think it is long overdue on the twinned highways in the province. Vehicles today are light years ahead in handling and safety compared to vehicles even 20 years ago.

Still mulling over in my mind if they should maybe limit heavy vehicles to a lower speed say 100 or 110 kmph like some other jurisdictions do.

Should be an interesting debate as I know the Edmonton Police Chief was stating the Henday limit should be increased to 110 kmph a couple of years back.

HyperMOA
03-14-2021, 06:59 PM
If the limit is changed trucks shouldn’t be excluded. The bigger variances in speed will cause issues. They should be able to flow with traffic.

hogie
03-14-2021, 07:10 PM
If the limit is changed trucks shouldn’t be excluded. The bigger variances in speed will cause issues. They should be able to flow with traffic.

Many places the heavy trucks stay in the slow lane. Not allowed to pass. Better this way as traffic flows without one heavy truck wanting to go 1 kph more than the other.

Flow with traffic is fine until hills are involved. Not happy when they drop 20 or more going up a hill then decide to go down the next hill 20 or more above the limit. Not safe overall.

straight
03-14-2021, 07:12 PM

Trucks should be excluded and limited to right line only, I would hate to see those haywires flying 140kmph in left line (they drive 120kmph today).

HyperMOA
03-14-2021, 07:20 PM
Many places the heavy trucks stay in the slow lane. Not allowed to pass. Better this way as traffic flows without one heavy truck wanting to go 1 kph more than the other.

Flow with traffic is fine until hills are involved. Not happy when they drop 20 or more going up a hill then decide to go down the next hill 20 or more above the limit. Not safe overall.

Trucks should be excluded and limited to right line only, I would hate to see those haywires flying 140kmph in left line (they drive 120kmph today).

I don’t disagree, but we would need 3 lane highways to do this. The trucks need to still pass other trucks or the idiot pulling a 32’ camper with their Corolla. If we had 3 lanes I would agree to no trucks in the far left lane.

tri777
03-14-2021, 07:22 PM
Spoiler Alert, the speed limit is already 120+kph.
I'm comfy in the 112kph area and tailgaters are always rushing up now.

IL Bar
03-14-2021, 07:37 PM

You should drive one for a week. See how many haywire’s there are in four wheelers too. Lots of bad drivers everywhere.

hogie
03-14-2021, 07:42 PM
I don’t disagree, but we would need 3 lane highways to do this. The trucks need to still pass other trucks or the idiot pulling a 32’ camper with their Corolla. If we had 3 lanes I would agree to no trucks in the far left lane.

Far too many vehicles pulling what they can't. If you can't pull it up the hill at speed limit then don't pull it.

Pulling trailers in Alberta needs to be addressed. Too many vehicles at the end of their limits on the road.

Heavy trucks fall into a different category. I get they will lose speed going up a hill. It's when they speed up going down the next one when I can pass that upsets me.

hilt134
03-14-2021, 07:49 PM

Even cops won’t do 110 or any other posted speed. 120 just let’s people think they can do 130 legally and 140 most of the time. Either way I don’t think it makes a big difference.

I do think trucks should be limited to the right lane at 110 regardless

RandyBoBandy
03-14-2021, 07:50 PM
Yep, put it to 120km/h and the new norm will be 140 :thinking-006:

bat119
03-14-2021, 07:52 PM
The speed limit is the same in both lanes the "fast lane" is the passing lane, the biggest problem is when you come up to a slower moving vehicle and try to access the PASSING lane there is somebody that thinks it's for speeding.

Start with driver training then increase the speed limit.

Sundancefisher
03-14-2021, 07:52 PM

Yup. Drive to Edmonton on QE2 and everyone is doing 120. Increase to 120 and everyone will be going 130.

Trochu
03-14-2021, 07:57 PM
Yup. Drive to Edmonton on QE2 and everyone is doing 120. Increase to 120 and everyone will be going 130.

Is that a problem?

stubblejumper01
03-14-2021, 08:44 PM
Is that a problem?

When road conditions are good it wouldn’t make much difference. As soon as there is some light snow, black ice or even rain is when the problems will start. An extra 10 km/ hr makes a big difference in reaction times and stopping distance. Also the wind gusts that can happen will affect a vehicle more at higher speeds
Some big trucks are governed at 90k, and a lot are limited to 105k which will cause hazardous situations with people weaving in and out at 140 or so.

sailor
03-14-2021, 09:00 PM
Yep, put it to 120km/h and the new norm will be 140 :thinking-006:

Who drives slower on Yellow head and HW2 anyway?

wildwoods
03-14-2021, 09:06 PM
We need these limits increased for sure. HWY 2 is about as straight and flat as it gets between Edmonton and Calgary. It can handle raised limits. As can henday

bat119
03-14-2021, 09:07 PM
The solution is to raise the speed limit to 120, have unmarked photo radar cars travelling at 120 KPH anybody that passes get mailed a ticket...simple

silver lab
03-14-2021, 09:22 PM
The solution is to raise the speed limit to 120, have unmarked photo radar cars travelling at 120 KPH anybody that passes get mailed a ticket...simple

Lol! The solution is to get rid of every photo radar and ghost car....
Raise it to a buck 20 and include everyone!

ChrisGrohms
03-14-2021, 09:29 PM
Do like the states and have a passenger vehicle limit and a commercial truck limit. There is NO reason for 50 tons of steel/lumber/aggregate to be rolling down the highway at 120km.
I drive the coquihala every other week where it is posted 120km, commercial trucks not allowed in the far right lane when there are 3 lanes, and it seems to work. You get the odd numpty in a big rig that tries to pass the other 2 in the 2 right lanes but once I get past those I usually slow right down in front of them to put them in The back of the line for holding up traffic.
Also, the variable speed signs seem to work ok.
IMHO, stiffer penalties for commercial vehicles (and I’m registered commercial) should be applied and enforced.
120km on the QE2 would be no problem.

Grizzly Adams
03-14-2021, 09:53 PM
I just wondered how many demerit points the member proposing this had accumulated ? :lol:

Grizz

calgarychef
03-14-2021, 10:07 PM
The speed limit is the same in both lanes the "fast lane" is the passing lane, the biggest problem is when you come up to a slower moving vehicle and try to access the PASSING lane there is somebody that thinks it's for speeding.

Start with driver training then increase the speed limit.

I’m couldn’t agree more. European drivers handle lanes way better that we do.
When I lived in the UK driving was like a ballet, it was a beautiful thing to watch and participate in.
I’m ashamed to say it but we really do drive like bumpkins on our highways.
A little education has to happen before we increase the speed limit.

krthegunslinger
03-14-2021, 11:06 PM
Get rid of the speed limit. It will cost lives but the idiots will get sorted out eventually. Speed kills period. Look at the stats for exertion on the body in a MVA as speeds get above 100km. Speaks for itself.

Grizzly Adams
03-15-2021, 12:16 AM
Get rid of the speed limit. It will cost lives but the idiots will get sorted out eventually. Speed kills period. Look at the stats for exertion on the body in a MVA as speeds get above 100km. Speaks for itself.

The unfortunate part is, it kills the innocent as well.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/manmeet-bhullar-alberta-mla-killed-1.3331978

Grizz

58thecat
03-15-2021, 01:12 AM
Why are we in such a rush?
Some highways can have faster limits and be done safely but for the most part our very seasoned roads, narrow, should just remain as is.
Again cruising at 100 clicks gets you there safely....why 120 so you can beat me to the gas station...next set of lights?
Three lane highways that are new, wide etc but man our highway system in general is sketchy at the posted speeds already.....ohhhh and then toss in the drivers into the mix and in cab distractions...ohhhhh boy.

Ebrand
03-15-2021, 02:04 AM
I’m couldn’t agree more. European drivers handle lanes way better that we do.
When I lived in the UK driving was like a ballet, it was a beautiful thing to watch and participate in.
I’m ashamed to say it but we really do drive like bumpkins on our highways.
A little education has to happen before we increase the speed limit.

Bring in vehicle inspections for passenger vehicles then. 120 in some of the junk allowed on our roads is insane. Bald mismatched tires at 120 ? Please not near me. Gonna suck up a lot of fuel too. If only we refined it here ourselves... Create some income for Alberta.

Outbound
03-15-2021, 06:20 AM
The Coquihalla used to have a speed limit of 110km/h. Everyone did 120 - 130km/h. Now it has a speed limit of 120km/h. Everyone still does 120 - 130km/h. They could bump the limit to 130 and very few people would start going 140. Most people will naturally drive at a speed that's reasonable for the road. Natually there's a percentage that drive like hooligans at way higher than reasonable and people that drive like morons at way lower than reasonable, but the majority always settle around the same speeds. There's multiple studies that roads have the artificially set limits and then the limit that the majority of people can safely and comfortably drive at.

I would love to see 3 lane highways with trucks restricted to the far right lane and the middle only when passing. That's not feasible due to cost though. So we should have proper enforcement on the highway. Instead of pulling over the guy doing 130 on a clear sunny day, pull over the shmuck doing 105 in the left lane or the big rig making a pass at 2km/h faster than the truck in front of him or on a hill. "Impeding the flow of traffic" is a penalty that needs to be applied much more often. Having people driving well below the limit or camping out in the passing lane because "I'm doing exactly the speed limit and I'm taking it upon myself to enforce it by blocking you" is the cause for road rage and more accidents than free flowing, higher speed traffic.

People really need to learn how to use cruise control on the highway too. I've lose count of the amount of times I end up playing leapfrog with some inbred hillbilly cousin kisser because they don't know how to maintain a speed while I just leave my cruise control set. Of course, they think I'm the arsehole every time I pass them....

liar
03-15-2021, 07:51 AM
Do like the states and have a passenger vehicle limit and a commercial truck limit. There is NO reason for 50 tons of steel/lumber/aggregate to be rolling down the highway at 120km.
I drive the coquihala every other week where it is posted 120km, commercial trucks not allowed in the far right lane when there are 3 lanes, and it seems to work. You get the odd numpty in a big rig that tries to pass the other 2 in the 2 right lanes but once I get past those I usually slow right down in front of them to put them in The back of the line for holding up traffic.
Also, the variable speed signs seem to work ok.
IMHO, stiffer penalties for commercial vehicles (and I’m registered commercial) should be applied and enforced.
120km on the QE2 would be no problem.

Stiffer fines for comercial vehicles but you purposely force big trucks to slow down ??? I guess if you cant be part of the solution you may as well be part of the problem .

trailraat
03-15-2021, 08:25 AM
The Coquihalla used to have a speed limit of 110km/h. Everyone did 120 - 130km/h. Now it has a speed limit of 120km/h. Everyone still does 120 - 130km/h. They could bump the limit to 130 and very few people would start going 140. Most people will naturally drive at a speed that's reasonable for the road. Natually there's a percentage that drive like hooligans at way higher than reasonable and people that drive like morons at way lower than reasonable, but the majority always settle around the same speeds. There's multiple studies that roads have the artificially set limits and then the limit that the majority of people can safely and comfortably drive at.

This is correct. If you were to leave a road unposted most people would drive the same average speed because that is what feels comfortable and appropriate. Our highways are almost all designed to be safe at 10km/hr over the posted speed. I believe the QUE2 was actually designed for 130km/hr which is why in good conditions it feels quite safe at 130.

tri777
03-15-2021, 08:28 AM
Is that a problem?

If everyone is now doing 135+km/hr instead of their current 120+, I can only imagine that attempting to
enter highways would be even more challenging. For me, making lefts to cross 2 lanes on the yellowhead
to get across to the other 2 lanes is hectic enough without any assistance of traffic lights on
'perfect weather days', now add a slick snow/torrent rain, sunrise/sunset glare,etc to the equation.

Also, I don't need a road rager making drama in my life cause he deems i'm going to slow/could care less
i'm saving gas with more reasonable speeds.
Leave speed limits as is!

Wendigo
03-15-2021, 08:36 AM
If everyone is now doing 135+km/hr instead of their current 120+, I can only imagine that attempting to
enter highways would be even more challenging. For me, making lefts to cross 2 lanes on the yellowhead
to get across to the other 2 lanes is hectic enough without any assistance of traffic lights on
'perfect weather days', now add a slick snow/torrent rain, sunrise/sunset glare,etc to the equation.
Leave speed limits as is!

Sounds like some defensive driving is needed, if you can't merge and cut across 2 lanes you should not be on the road. ANYONE NOT CONFIDENT IN THEIR SKILLS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROADS...NO IF ANs OR BUTS.

to old? Don't drive
Blind in1 eye ? don't drive
Stiff neck ? Don't drive
Car can't get up to speed cuz it's a 1992 dodge shadow? Get off the road

Driving is a privilege not a right.

tri777
03-15-2021, 08:40 AM
Sounds like some defensive driving is needed, if you can't merge and cut across 2 lanes you should
not be on the road. ANYONE NOT CONFIDENT IN THEIR SKILLS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROADS...
NO IF ANs OR BUTS.

to old? Don't drive Blind in1 eye ? don't drive Stiff neck ? Don't drive
Car can't get up to speed
cuz it's a 1992 dodge shadow? Get off the road

I will leave your drama inducing post for others..

Dewey Cox
03-15-2021, 08:48 AM
I can't see the limits being raised only because these low limits make it easier to collect tax in the form of speeding tickets.
Traffic enforcement only exists to raise money.

waldedw
03-15-2021, 09:10 AM
I drove back and forth to Arizona for 11 years when we had the house down there, the speed limit on most interstate highways in the US is 75 MPH ( 120 KMH ) and in some states it's 80 MPH ( 130 KPH ) the traffic flows along nice, never felt like I was going to fast, you can sure make time when the cruse is set at 130 most of the day.
I will say though their roads are better than ours for sure, 130 on the yellowhead west of Edmonton could throw you in the ditch or knock your wheels off in the holes :thinking-006:

bat119
03-15-2021, 09:22 AM
Sounds like some defensive driving is needed, if you can't merge and cut across 2 lanes you should not be on the road. ANYONE NOT CONFIDENT IN THEIR SKILLS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROADS...NO IF ANs OR BUTS.

to old? Don't drive
Stiff neck ? Don't drive

This is first guy that needs his license torn up.

Mr. Wheeler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HocJyvZxWWk

Trochu
03-15-2021, 10:03 AM
enter highways would be even more challenging.

Just think though, they'll be in your way for a shorter period of time! :)

owlhoot
03-15-2021, 11:18 AM
Retired now and not usually in a hurry I set the cruise to the speed limit and try and get the best gas mileage I can, Especially now with fuel prices on the rise. I can save a few bucks on fuel but It's cost me a couple of windshields,
Nothin causes ROAD RAGE like a good smack in the windshield by someone going way to fast

Ken07AOVette
03-15-2021, 11:55 AM
I have no issue with increasing the limit to 120 on highways like qe2 and 16, but at 124 issue tickets. Penalty and points, no excuses. Photo radar with demerits on every 10th power pole might relax the go switch a little.

It has been pointed out many times that no matter what the limit is everyone is a professional driver in their own little mind, and everyone else on the road is inferior to them.

It is funny as hell when someone gets a ticket because there is a new RCMP officer on the road, all bent out of shape and butthurt because the last one was lax in their duties, more than likely just plain tired of the whining and excuses.

bat119
03-15-2021, 11:59 AM
Driving attitudes haven't changed much since 1950

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn4tcyCDU-I

GENINC
03-15-2021, 12:53 PM
Driving attitudes haven't changed much since 1950

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn4tcyCDU-I

Yep, drivers in North America in a nutshell. Coming over from Germany, it took me a while to collect my jaw off the floor when I saw how people are driving here.

Big Grey Wolf
03-15-2021, 02:42 PM
Nice thing about 120-140km speed limits in Alberta, the fools will be nailing lot of deer, elk and moose. Then us trappers will have lots of road kill for bait, hope they let us take the human bodies as well for bait.

GENINC
03-15-2021, 03:29 PM
Nice thing about 120-140km speed limits in Alberta, the fools will be nailing lot of deer, elk and moose. Then us trappers will have lots of road kill for bait, hope they let us take the human bodies as well for bait.

https://i.gifer.com/S2ES.gif

liar
03-15-2021, 04:01 PM

to old? Don't drive
Stiff neck ? Don't drive

Lol , your correct , and you definitely sound privileged .

Nyksta
03-15-2021, 06:04 PM
Lol , your correct , and you definitely sound privileged .

It's too bad that for each post there isnt a thumbs up or thumbs down option like youtube.

Ken07AOVette
03-15-2021, 06:45 PM
It's too bad that for each post there isnt a thumbs up or thumbs down option like youtube.

https://i.postimg.cc/bJQ35Rpc/like.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

does it ALL outdoors
03-15-2021, 07:16 PM
Lol! The solution is to get rid of every photo radar and ghost car....
Raise it to a buck 20 and include everyone!

Agree.

Natural selection. :scared0018:

The Coquihalla used to have a speed limit of 110km/h. Everyone did 120 - 130km/h. Now it has a speed limit of 120km/h. Everyone still does 120 - 130km/h.

People really need to learn how to use cruise control on the highway too. I've lose count of the amount of times I end up playing leapfrog with some inbred hillbilly cousin kisser because they don't know how to maintain a speed while I just leave my cruise control set. Of course, they think I'm the arsehole every time I pass them

Just rediculous how so many have such a hard time maintaining their speed, whatever speed they choose. :angry3:

My favourite is the guy that sees you in his rear view about to pass and steps on it, just to slow down again when you choose to not pass him :angry3::angry3:
My cousin does this, I tried explaining he is being ignorant, he dosent really get what I'm layin down, and he still does it. :rolleye2:

Poop or get off the pot!

ANYONE NOT CONFIDENT IN THEIR SKILLS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROADS...

I also think the majority of people will not get carried away and do 140, 130 maybe but for most people I think 140 is pushing it. Just my opinion.

As for the confident comment I've been saying for years that a lot of people should be riding the bus in the winter. So many people lack basic driving skills and that just gets amplified in the winter. Winter driving just isn't for everyone, if you can't do it confidently, that's fine, don't do it.

I can't see the limits being raised only because these low limits make it easier to collect tax in the form of speeding tickets.
Traffic enforcement only exists to raise money.

:):):). Don't mess with the cash cow!

130 on the yellowhead west of Edmonton could throw you in the ditch or knock your wheels off in the holes :thinking-006:

Try that stretch on two wheels :angry3:

One of our regular weekend rides includes a rip out to Wildwood, that stretch you mentioned is LETHAL. Im suprised there haven't been any fatalities on that stretch. Just mind boggling that whoever is responsible for that stretch thinks that is acceptable. Only the most seasoned riders in our group do that ride.

This is a good read.
https://priceonomics.com/is-every-speed-limit-too-low/

WV911
03-15-2021, 07:46 PM
need another lane on the TC through Banff Park for the Ram Duellies with sled decks.
Limit is 90 unless you have sleds or are from BC, then its 120

Grizzly Adams
03-15-2021, 08:21 PM
need another lane on the TC through Banff Park for the Ram Duellies with sled decks.
Limit is 90 unless you have sleds or are from BC, then its 120

Considering that the Trans Canada is the major coast to coast highway in this country, the stretch through the National parks is a joke. Not likely to change though.

Grizz

Smokey
03-15-2021, 08:43 PM
Is that a problem?

Ya it is. Two lane highways with no shoulder with heavy traffic, plus the QE2 ain't of the Autobahn caliber.

RandyBoBandy
03-15-2021, 08:46 PM

:happy0034:
It's in the emoji's just under the couch :)

KC1
03-15-2021, 08:51 PM

to old? Don't drive
Stiff neck ? Don't drive

Thumbs down

WV911
03-15-2021, 08:51 PM
Considering that the Trans Canada is the major coast to coast highway in this country, the stretch through the National parks is a joke. Not likely to change though.

Grizz

I agree 90 is too slow but it is still the limit.
If I think other laws are a joke, that means I can just ignore them?

Trochu
03-16-2021, 08:22 AM
Ya it is. Two lane highways with no shoulder with heavy traffic, plus the QE2 ain't of the Autobahn caliber.

I don't see it as one. Pretty sure they said it was only relevant to twinned highways as well.

Grizzly Adams
03-16-2021, 08:23 AM
I agree 90 is too slow but it is still the limit.
If I think other laws are a joke, that means I can just ignore them?

That highway is the way it is because of considerations that it passes through a national Park and all the ramifications of that. Every time I hear of another accident, I say to myself, somebody else got tired of driving in convoy and pulled out to pass when they shouldn't have. Usually I'm right.

Grizz

elkhunter11
03-16-2021, 08:31 AM
I find it interesting, when on our motorcycle tours through the USA, with speed limits of 80mph in Utah, I don't feel any more at risk than doing 110km/hr here. Then again, there are people that are not safe at 100km/hr, due to health conditions, or vehicle issues. I would personally like to see more effort in getting those people off of the road, as they are more of a hazard than the person doing 120 in a 110 zone.

Bergerboy
03-16-2021, 08:36 AM
I find it interesting, when on our motorcycle tours through the USA, with speed limits of 80mph in Utah, I don't feel any more at risk than doing 110km/hr here. Then again, there are people that are not safe at 100km/hr, due to health conditions, or vehicle issues. I would personally like to see more effort in getting those people off of the road, as they are more of a hazard than the person doing 120 in a 110 zone.

I agree. Its like the people who drive with 4 way flashers on when they are not comfortable with the road conditions. They should simply not be on the road if they are uncomfortable. These people just create a much larger hazard for everyone around them.

elkhunter11
03-16-2021, 08:48 AM
I agree. Its like the people who drive with 4 way flashers on when they are not comfortable with the road conditions. They should simply not be on the road if they are uncomfortable. These people just create a much larger hazard for everyone around them.

I find that one of the most difficult things is to convince some seniors that they need to give up driving, because they just aren't safe anymore, because of vision, or reflexes etc. It seems cruel to take away their mobility, but it can save not only their lives, but others as well.

kevinhits
03-16-2021, 10:49 AM

Don't forget Wyoming...Couldn't believe when I seen 80MPH limit..Woohoo.

Too bad I was pulling a trailer but 120k per hour was perfect..LOL

elkhunter11
03-16-2021, 12:13 PM
Don't forget Wyoming...Couldn't believe when I seen 80MPH limit..Woohoo.

Too bad I was pulling a trailer but 120k per hour was perfect..LOL

Crossing the desert, 80mph is still too slow. But it's surprising when you are riding 80mph, and get passed by a vehicles that won't go ,much faster than that. lol

liar
03-16-2021, 12:24 PM

I may be wrong but the 80 mph limits are only on the interstates are they not ?
The interstate highways do not have any level crossings . All the vehicles are traveling in the same direction . Also , I have never seen a combine or swather on an interstate . I have seen all kinds of farm equipment on highway 2 , 43 ,16 . comparing our highways to the interstate system south of the border is not apples to apples . As far as feeling safe at 80 mph its all relative . We cranked the bikes up to 100mph between PV and Mazatlan on the toll highway and some people were passing us . Where we disagree is that just because someone doesnt want to drive as fast as you , doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed on the road . The speed limits are a "maximum" , not a target .

bat119
03-16-2021, 12:26 PM
Crossing the desert, 80mph is still too slow. But it's surprising when you are riding 80mph, and get passed by a vehicles that won't go ,much faster than that. lol

Driving through Phoenix I was doing 80 MPH a guy on a rat bike Harley passed me, tails lights dangling no helmet and wearing nothing but speedo's I thought if he hits the pavement there wouldn't be anything left but a red skid mark.

kevinhits
03-16-2021, 12:32 PM

Agree...I drive 125km per hour on the number 1 and 2....Could be faster though especially on the number 1 East of Calgary. Very little traffic ever on that stretch.

elkhunter11
03-16-2021, 12:34 PM
I may be wrong but the 80 mph limits are only on the interstates are they not ?
The interstate highways do not have any level crossings . All the vehicles are traveling in the same direction . Also , I have never seen a combine or swather on an interstate . I have seen all kinds of farm equipment on highway 2 , 43 ,16 . comparing our highways to the interstate system south of the border is not apples to apples . As far as feeling safe at 80 mph its all relative . We cranked the bikes up to 100mph between PV and Mazatlan on the toll highway and some people were passing us . Where we disagree is that just because someone doesnt want to drive as fast as you , doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed on the road . The speed limits are a "maximum" , not a target .

Yes the speeds are maximum, but some people are not safe at any speed. If your vision is so bad you don't see other vehicles, or if your reactions are so bad that you can't avoid a stalled vehicle, or an animal in broad daylight, you should not be driving. A 90 year old friend was killed a year ago when he pulled onto the highway, into the path of an oncoming vehicle. He was going slow, but that didn't save him, when he didn't see the vehicle.

bat119
03-16-2021, 01:47 PM
The biggest problem is the worst drivers think they are the best when the opposite is actually true.

tirebob
03-16-2021, 02:21 PM
Man people seem to get riled up about driving speeds... Personally, I am at the point in my life where I am happy just to set the cruise control at the speed limit and go, but I don't care if people drive faster or slower than me. My only issue is people who are inconsiderate of others around them. If I am going faster than someone I am coming up to I go around them to the left and then back into the right or middle right lane. It isn't rocket science. Travel in the right or middle right and use the left to go around and move back in. Done and done.

People who think they own the left lane, either super fast or super slow, are the issue. Use it for the purpose it is meant to be used and no issue.

Bushrat
03-16-2021, 02:33 PM
Highways and speed limits are in place to accommodate the average driver with average skills, reaction times, health and vision. I guess we could limit our highways to only those who have perfect health, vision and the reaction times and skills of an Indy race car driver and be recertified every 6 months or at least yearly to confirm their ability and still eligible to drive. That should take about 75% of cars off the road and yet those few expert drivers remaining would still have accidents and complain about all the other stupid drivers who shouldn't be allowed to drive...

Amusing that many of the most vocal people questioning and complaining about other drivers abilities tend to be some of the worst drivers out there and completely oblivious of it.

Smoky buck
03-16-2021, 03:45 PM
Fix the pot hole mine field that we call Alberta hwys first then let’s talk increasing the speed limit

I would have no issues with a speed limit increase if the roads were maintained well enough for it

Pioneer2
03-16-2021, 03:55 PM
Natural Selection

hilt134
03-16-2021, 04:03 PM
Fix the pot hole mine field that we call Alberta hwys first then let’s talk increasing the speed limit

I would have no issues with a speed limit increase if the roads were maintained well enough for it

I was thinking of this driving to Calgary from Canmore. If they can’t keep the roads in good condition with two lanes at lower speeds trying to raise the speed and lanes would be an absolute ball

elkhunter11
03-16-2021, 04:41 PM
Highways and speed limits are in place to accommodate the average driver with average skills, reaction times, health and vision. I guess we could limit our highways to only those who have perfect health, vision and the reaction times and skills of an Indy race car driver and be recertified every 6 months or at least yearly to confirm their ability and still eligible to drive. That should take about 75% of cars off the road and yet those few expert drivers remaining would still have accidents and complain about all the other stupid drivers who shouldn't be allowed to drive...

Amusing that many of the most vocal people questioning and complaining about other drivers abilities tend to be some of the worst drivers out there and completely oblivious of it.

Yet some of those speed limits haven't changed, although vehicles have become much safer over the years. Better tires and brakes, active handling, and many other things have made it much easier to avoid accidents.

bat119
03-16-2021, 05:03 PM
Yet some of those speed limits haven't changed, although vehicles have become much safer over the years. Better tires and brakes, active handling, and many other things have made it much easier to avoid accidents.

Unfortunately drivers haven't changed in fact with better vehicles they think they're invincible.

Ken07AOVette
03-16-2021, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately drivers haven't changed in fact with better vehicles they think they're invincible.

Coming back from Edmonton today just West of the Islay turnoff on 16 heading east I was passed by a little white car that had to be going 150+, it was just a little blur.
Had someone pulle out from behind a snowbank on to the highway there is no way he would have lived.
I really hope the boys get him at some point.

liar
03-16-2021, 07:23 PM
Yes the speeds are maximum, but some people are not safe at any speed. If your vision is so bad you don't see other vehicles, or if your reactions are so bad that you can't avoid a stalled vehicle, or an animal in broad daylight, you should not be driving. A 90 year old friend was killed a year ago when he pulled onto the highway, into the path of an oncoming vehicle. He was going slow, but that didn't save him, when he didn't see the vehicle.
I agree with you that as people age they need help and may not be able to do what they did what they did when they were younger . Hopefully their families are around and can help them with the transition . But from your example what are you suggesting ? All 90 year olds loose their license ? About four years ago a 16 year old kid blew a stop sign up the road , killing my neighbour . How do we deal with that ? A very interesting stat would be how many people involved in motor vehicle accidents were too old , too blind , too slow to be driving and how many were just in too much of a hurry .

NaturalBornKilla
03-16-2021, 07:52 PM

What he said ☝️

liar
03-16-2021, 08:58 PM

Sure , but its a two way street . Many times I have had people pull out in front of me and cut me off or even pass me because they dont want to be stuck behind a semi , and then end up driving slower than I was originally going . I have also had vehicles speed up when I go to pass and then slow down again when I get behind them . Does that sound safe ???

bat119
03-16-2021, 09:16 PM
Where did the fast and slow lane come from?

It's the driving lane and PASSING lane the speed limit is the same in both lanes

The primary function of an auxiliary lane is
to accommodate passing manoeuvres.
Consequently, all drivers travelling at their
normal speeds with no intention of passing
are required to utilize the right lane (i.e., the
outside lane).
The Traffic Safety Act, Regulation AR
304/2002 has provisions for the operation of
traffic along a highway with three lanes.
Under the Act, all drivers are required to use
the right (i.e., the outside) lane unless they
intend to pass. The inside or centre lane is
reserved for overtaking and passing
maneuvers.
In Alberta, the regulation of the Act i

Read more here

Ken07AOVette
03-16-2021, 09:33 PM

drivers are taught by parents apprently. Who else is there to blame?

There have been some real doozy fights in here about 'idiots driving slow in the fast lane' LOL!!!

elkhunter11
03-16-2021, 10:05 PM
I agree with you that as people age they need help and may not be able to do what they did what they did when they were younger . Hopefully their families are around and can help them with the transition . But from your example what are you suggesting ? All 90 year olds loose their license ? About four years ago a 16 year old kid blew a stop sign up the road , killing my neighbour . How do we deal with that ? A very interesting stat would be how many people involved in motor vehicle accidents were too old , too blind , too slow to be driving and how many were just in too much of a hurry .

How about a driving simulator test for drivers in addition to the mandatory physicals, for senior drivers?

bsmitty27
03-16-2021, 10:50 PM
If all our rural intersections become overpasses sure. Untill then our infastructure isn't ready. To many small town kids get killed pulling out on highways at intersections
Hard no!

bat119
03-17-2021, 06:53 AM
How about a driving simulator test for drivers in addition to the mandatory physicals, for senior drivers?

Seniors have the lowest accident rate see page 19

Other facts

The highest number of fatal collisions occurred in June, August and October. The highest
number of injury collisions occurred in January.
• Friday was the most collision-prone day of the week.
• The most collision-prone time period was the afternoon rush hour.
• Casualty rates were highest for persons between the ages of 15 and 24.
• Male drivers between the ages of 18 and 19 had the highest involvement rate of all drivers involved
in casualty collisions.
• Following too closely, running off the road and making a left turn across the path of an
oncoming vehicle were the most frequently identified improper driver actions contributing to
casualty collisions.
• Fatal collisions occurred most frequently in rural areas, whereas injury and property damage
collisions occurred more frequently in urban areas.
• 18.2% of pedestrians involved in fatal collisions were impaired compared to 6.6% of pedestrians
in injury collisions.
• 13.4% of drivers involved in fatal collisions were impaired compared to 2.0% of drivers in injury
collisions.
• Collision-involved restraint users had a much lower injury rate (6.7%) than those not using
restraints (18.1%)

liar
03-17-2021, 07:18 AM
Seniors have the lowest accident rate see page 19

Other facts

The highest number of fatal collisions occurred in June, August and October. The highest
number of injury collisions occurred in January.
• Friday was the most collision-prone day of the week.
• The most collision-prone time period was the afternoon rush hour.
• Casualty rates were highest for persons between the ages of 15 and 24.
• Male drivers between the ages of 18 and 19 had the highest involvement rate of all drivers involved
in casualty collisions.
• Following too closely, running off the road and making a left turn across the path of an
oncoming vehicle were the most frequently identified improper driver actions contributing to
casualty collisions.
• Fatal collisions occurred most frequently in rural areas, whereas injury and property damage
collisions occurred more frequently in urban areas.
• 18.2% of pedestrians involved in fatal collisions were impaired compared to 6.6% of pedestrians
in injury collisions.
• 13.4% of drivers involved in fatal collisions were impaired compared to 2.0% of drivers in injury
collisions.
• Collision-involved restraint users had a much lower injury rate (6.7%) than those not using
restraints (18.1%)

Thanks for posting, hard to argue with numbers .

liar
03-17-2021, 07:26 AM
I would not be opposed to everyone re doing their written and road test every five years and shorter intervals as you get older and after 80 maybe every year . This along with the current medical requirements . If you look at the stats , the only group that has less accidents than older people is the group 16 years and younger .

elkhunter11
03-17-2021, 07:49 AM
I would not be opposed to everyone re doing their written and road test every five years and shorter intervals as you get older and after 80 maybe every year . This along with the current medical requirements . If you look at the stats , the only group that has less accidents than older people is the group 16 years and younger .

The only issue with that , would be having enough facilities to handle the extra road tests, it can take a long time to book a road test now, and with so many more road tests to do, the system could not handle it. That is why I suggested a simulator, it could be quicker, and easier to handle a higher volume of people . We already have graduated licenses for new drivers, but nothing similar for drivers that may no longer be physically able to drive safely.
While we have statistics showing the numbers of accidents by age, it would be interesting to see the number of miles driven by age, to get an idea if the reason that seniors have less accidents, is that they drive less.

sk270
03-17-2021, 09:31 AM
Seniors drive less as they age. This may be because they are more cautious, avoiding driving during bad weather or at night. This also means that they cause far fewer accidents than younger drivers.

Drivers over the age of 80 cause fewer crashes than the youngest groups per million miles driven. The youngest drivers (16-17) are most likely to cause crashes, followed by 18-19, 20-24, and 25-39 years of age in that order.

However, older drivers are more likely themselves to be injured because of their relative fragility and existing health conditions.

The extra expense of testing older drivers every year or so is not warranted.

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9272.html
https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/10/1/27
https://aaafoundation.org/rates-motor-vehicle-crashes-injuries-deaths-relation-driver-age-united-states-2014-2015/

Big Grey Wolf
03-17-2021, 09:55 AM
Just so you young punks feel safe from us dangerous Old Alberta drivers. We need to get complete medical after 75 years along with a dozen potential medical, hearing, eyes etc evaluations every 5 years. Then after 80 every 2 years.
PS We are the safest drivers on the road, just ask your Insurance company.

tri777
03-17-2021, 10:24 AM

outside lane)...
..all drivers are required to use
intend to pass..

And why the above should be noted, in action..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80pvJFqfXtk

graybeard
03-17-2021, 10:26 AM
For me personally; go ahead and increase the speed limit but double the current fine for exceeding the new posted speed, no more speed cushion.

The other thing is double the current fine for distracted driving or a 30 day roadside Administrative Suspension like drinking and driving.

I don't care if the multi-nova is a money generating tool, it doesn't effect the responsible driver....

Like many other good drivers, I set my speed and I get to my destination when I get there....Leave earlier if you have to and plan your trip....

Bad drivers; HIT THEM IN THEIR WALLET.....I don't care....

If you don't see it, then drive from Calgary to Edmonton or Calgary to Vancouver some time....speeding, tailgating, passing when unsafe etc.....

Just the other day a guy in a delivery truck passes me in a playground. I lay on my horn, then he slams his brakes on to avoid hitting 4 kids in the X-walk and I nearly rear-end him.....I called the company to complain as it is their name on the door not the drivers.....Sheesh....... :argue2:

hogie
03-17-2021, 12:27 PM
Just so you young punks feel safe from us dangerous Old Alberta drivers. We need to get complete medical after 75 years along with a dozen potential medical, hearing, eyes etc evaluations every 5 years. Then after 80 every 2 years.
PS We are the safest drivers on the road, just ask your Insurance company.

Yes, my mother had to do this before she finally gave up her license. Only problem is her own doctor kept on giving her the OK to drive for around close to five years. Limited mobility would be putting it lightly. It took her getting into an accident to make her realize that her driving days were done. Lucky it was a very minor accident that nobody was hurt.

Have to have a better system in place for elderly than is is place now. Perhaps a doctor that isn't known to the patient so it's a bit more impartial.

Ariu
03-17-2021, 01:40 PM
There are billions and billions of dollars spend every year on roads. The quality of the roads is improving every year, including smart traffic controls being built and implemented everywhere.
On the other hand the cars we drive are becoming safer with intelligent systems being incorporated into vehicles. Cruise control and airbags – a luxury a couple of years ago now are standard in every car. More and more cars have lane change assist, collision control, weather monitoring, improved stability….

Speed limit increase is a step on the right direction. And even expressways and local roads should have a speed limit increase too. Transportation is the lifeblood of an economy.

To me the problem is the quality of the drivers on the road and how the traffic rules are enforced. It starts with driving schools and their programs; it goes on with the police trying to fill in their quotas and with some politicians who seems to think that for every problem on the road, speed reduction is the answer - not to mention some other which don’t want to see any car on the road.

stuckincity
03-17-2021, 01:52 PM
I didn't read the whole thread - too long - but if I'm cruising along at 130 or 140 in the left lane and someone comes up behind me, I'll get my arse over into the right lane and let him "go", same as on the Autobahn.

Its just Common Courtesy, which is sadly lacking these days, and I think it should be a law same as over there, which doesn't say much for our society.

I ain't 'righteous' and I ain't no cop or 'morality policeman' so if they just need to do it, let 'em go ahead.

The way I see it they're 100% responsible for their own actions and any consequences that may or may not occur - no ifs, ands, or buts.

Rant over.

Bigrib
03-17-2021, 03:22 PM
What if the speed limit was really enforced by drone vehicles every 500 meters going the exact maximum speed limit ( or less depending on conditions ) side by side as needed so no one can pass ? ( just a thought experiment , won't happen in real life )

Would that make everyone happy or is it your right to drive faster than the marked speed limit ?

Or how about every vehicle in the province has a governor set to no more than the maximum speed limit ? Tamper with it and the vehicle won't start . LOL , I see that being very possible to make happen .

bat119
03-17-2021, 03:49 PM
I'd like to see mobile photo radar give tickets to speeders and the left lane hogs, while the RCMP issue dangerous driving tickets to tailgators.

In 2 weeks the deficit would be paid

The mobile photo units could be driven by municipal workers leaving the RCMP to tackle bigger problems

elkhunter11
03-17-2021, 04:33 PM
What if the speed limit was really enforced by drone vehicles every 500 meters going the exact maximum speed limit ( or less depending on conditions ) side by side as needed so no one can pass ? ( just a thought experiment , won't happen in real life )

Would that make everyone happy or is it your right to drive faster than the marked speed limit ?

Or how about every vehicle in the province has a governor set to no more than the maximum speed limit ? Tamper with it and the vehicle won't start . LOL , I see that being very possible to make happen .

In order to limit vehicles to the exact speed limit, every vehicle would have to have a GPS unit and computer that knows the speed limit for every location in the province at all times. But I would not have an issue with it, if it is mandatory for EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE in the province, no exemptions for any vehicle, including provincial and federal vehicles.

hayseed
03-17-2021, 04:45 PM
In order to limit vehicles to the exact speed limit, every vehicle would have to have a GPS unit and computer that knows the speed limit for every location in the province at all times. But I would not have an issue with it, if it is mandatory for EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE in the province, no exemptions for any vehicle, including provincial and federal vehicles.

Lol... because that will be cheap and easy to do.

bat119
03-17-2021, 04:45 PM
In some European countries the owner of the vehicle is responsible for the accuracy of the speedometer
in the old days the speedos weren’t that accurate compared with today a simple gps test would prove the Speedo accurate

calgarychef
03-17-2021, 04:52 PM

It's the driving lane and PASSING lane the speed limit is the same in both lanes

outside lane).
The Traffic Safety Act, Regulation AR
304/2002 has provisions for the operation of
traffic along a highway with three lanes.
Under the Act, all drivers are required to use
intend to pass. The inside or centre lane is
reserved for overtaking and passing
maneuvers.
In Alberta, the regulation of the Act i

Read more here

Yup. But I’ll bet at least 20% of the drivers think it’s a fast lane.
This is a problem

elkhunter11
03-17-2021, 06:14 PM

It would be extremely expensive to do right now, so while it could be done if gps was built into all future vehicles, it isn't even remote feasible now. And of course certain people will demand to be exempted, so it likely will never happen.

liar
03-17-2021, 06:24 PM

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to have drivers follow the rules of the road .

flyrodfisher
03-17-2021, 08:45 PM
All in favor....once they fix up the roads....
There are several that you can't even do 110 on now because of the potholes/cracks

hogie
03-17-2021, 08:57 PM
In some European countries the owner of the vehicle is responsible for the accuracy of the speedometer
in the old days the speedos weren’t that accurate compared with today a simple gps test would prove the Speedo accurate

They still aren't all that accurate. Generally allowed about 7-8 % error on them. 100kph could be 92kph to 108kph. Most of the time the are on the slow end and not at the extreme one way or the other. I know Ford allows 7%. Other manufacturers will have a spec as well. I have had 3 Suzuki motorcycles that were all exactly 10kph slower than what speedo said at 100kph. Dealer said normal.

Change of tires will make a difference. Tire pressure, extremes of it can change circumference as well. Tires can be the same size but from different manufacturers and have different circumference.

Police know this, they will make sure that you are going out of an allowed limit before giving a ticket. Really easy to fight going 6kph over in a 100kph zone.

Chewbacca
03-17-2021, 10:06 PM

I always wanted to drive in a simulator to see how close they are to the real thing.
Physicals? Agreed. I have to have one every two years in order keep my Class 1.
I would like to see mandatory periodical physicals for every class across the board, not because I have to, but to make sure everyone is up to the task of driving on today’s roads.

Chewbacca
03-17-2021, 10:21 PM
It would be a lot easier and cheaper to have drivers follow the rules of the road .

And a whole lot simpler.

the.tru.albertan
03-18-2021, 01:15 AM
Speed limit on divided highways should be 110KPH in winter. 130KPH in summer. All under Variable Speed Limits of course.

end thread

Pioneer2
03-18-2021, 04:33 AM
Would be about as detrimental to the public as when they made pot legal.Who would notice?The province would still have their money making cash cow AKA photo radar to milk.

JB_AOL
03-18-2021, 01:48 PM
Imho. Mandatory retesting for everyone every drivers licence renewal (both tests). If you fail, price doubles. But along with that there should be a mandatory class either defense driving, performance driving, etc that is required prior to testing.

Regarding the roads.. yeah lift them to 120. Won't make a difference for 99% of the roads. People naturally drive to what they are comfortable at depending on road conditions/weather/etc.

I like the idea of a night (or bad weather) speed that is lower than the day speed. Digital speed signs that adjust accordingly can't be that expensive nowadays.

A bigger problem is enforcement with bad driving in general (notice I said bad, not just speeders), this would go along way.

the.tru.albertan
11-01-2022, 04:12 AM
Still waiting on this.

Only received First Reading so far. Gotta love the 'speed of government'....

https://www.assembly.ab.ca/assembly-business/bills/bill?billinfoid=11898&from=bills

zabbo
11-01-2022, 05:31 AM
Oh boy! Here we go!

:party0052: :party0052:

Forhunt
11-15-2022, 01:41 PM
The higher the speed limit, the higher the speeding speed, the worse the accidents. I always drive a bit over, and on HWY 63 a lot. I don't pass too many people, but do get passed like I'm parked.

traderal
11-15-2022, 03:19 PM
People who think they own the left lane, either super fast or super slow, are the issue. Use it for the purpose it is meant to be used and no issue.
________________This is what I see happening every time I'm on 16 or QE2. Seems every time I need to pass a slower vehicle some guy in as lifted truck is speeding by in the left lane. I say ban all lifted trucks as a start, then all small underpowered cars.

Talking moose
11-15-2022, 03:29 PM
Governing the vehicles to speed limit will kill a lot of people.

nekred
11-15-2022, 04:22 PM
forget vehicles...

Get a high speed mag lev railway line on the major routes in Aberta that can go 350 and most people would take that rather than drive

Highway 16, highway 2, highway 43 and highway 63 and highway 1

Power it with electricity generated from natural gas and become a showcase for the rest of Canada and the World. Maybe even California would see the potential.

FortMac
11-15-2022, 05:00 PM
The higher the speed limit, the higher the speeding speed, the worse the accidents. I always drive a bit over, and on HWY 63 a lot. I don't pass too many people, but do get passed like I'm parked.

Penn state studies show the average speed did not increase when they raised speed limits but accidents decreased. People will go the speed they are most comfortable at on average.

bat119
11-15-2022, 05:28 PM
Speed limits are only suggestions to some, on a recent trip to the US the speed limit was 80 mph (128 kph) cars were passing me like rockets.

dr.crentist
11-15-2022, 05:51 PM
forget vehicles...

Get a high speed mag lev railway line on the major routes in Aberta that can go 350 and most people would take that rather than drive

Highway 16, highway 2, highway 43 and highway 63 and highway 1

Power it with electricity generated from natural gas and become a showcase for the rest of Canada and the World. Maybe even California would see the potential.

I dig this idea. It’ll never happen, or maybe we’ll get a train from Calgary to Banff, but I don’t think high speed rail isn’t anywhere near in this provinces future. Just love cars too much.

Trochu
11-15-2022, 06:05 PM
....I don’t think high speed rail isn’t anywhere near in this provinces future.

So how soon do you think it's coming? :innocent:

dr.crentist
11-15-2022, 07:47 PM
I dig this idea. It’ll never happen, or maybe we’ll get a train from Calgary to Banff, but I don’t think high speed rail is anywhere near in this provinces future. Just love cars too much.

*is

Grizzly Adams1
11-15-2022, 08:12 PM
*is

I don't buy the Banff train idea as practical. Southern Ontario and Quebec have commuter railways between cities, but the population densities are much higher and Banff would be a limited market , tough to pay the bills with.

Grizz

59whiskers
11-16-2022, 05:20 AM
Leave it at 110 km. There is a lot of variation in speed from big trucks and small cars. Lane changes, merging, broke down vehicles, under maintained vehicles, variation’s in driving skill, tailgating like NASCAR, bad weather,,etc will contribute to many more spectacular fatal collisions on Highways. Sure we may arrive at a destination 15 minutes earlier. I have witnessed spectacular collisions and it just isn’t worth higher speed.

58thecat
11-16-2022, 06:03 AM
Leave it at 110 km. There is a lot of variation in speed from big trucks and small cars. Lane changes, merging, broke down vehicles, under maintained vehicles, variation’s in driving skill, tailgating like NASCAR, bad weather,,etc will contribute to many more spectacular fatal collisions on Highways. Sure we may arrive at a destination 15 minutes earlier. I have witnessed spectacular collisions and it just isn’t worth higher speed.

Ya but I got sensors and airbags plus many hours playing race car games on Xbox :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Get with the times:)

elkhunter11
11-16-2022, 06:37 AM

And then there was the fool driving 25km/hr on the ramp to enter the Henday. It created a backup, which prevented many of us from accelerating to a safe speed to merge in with traffic doing 100km/hr. And yet many people will defend this person, because there is no minimum speed limit. This is far more dangerous, than someone driving 10km/hr faster than the current speed limit.

Bigwoodsman
11-16-2022, 07:01 AM
And then there was the fool driving 25km/hr on the ramp to enter the Henday. It created a backup, which prevented many of us from accelerating to a safe speed to merge in with traffic doing 100km/hr. And yet many people will defend this person, because there is no minimum speed limit. This is far more dangerous, than someone driving 10km/hr faster than the current speed limit.

^^^^This^^^^
If they want to bump the maximum speed limit on our highways and freeways, they need to set a minimum. Freeway and highway ramp speeds should be set at a minimum of 90KM as long as road conditions permit. These need to be enforced as well.

BW

58thecat
11-16-2022, 08:34 AM

No one should defend any unsafe driving action.

Rather report it to hopefully prevent an accident from happening.

But that in itself is a process too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-JR-
11-16-2022, 09:50 AM

Most of those wise idiots pulling that holiday/boat trailer might be going slow because they read the trailer tire speed on the tires (100 km max)

the.tru.albertan
02-20-2023, 12:11 AM
C'mon!!!! I want to go faster legally... not illegally. Time to make it happen.

Motorcycle season is almost upon us.

Rdamours
02-20-2023, 12:24 AM
I’ve driven pretty much everywhere in North America. There are minimums posted on some higher speed highways warning of lower speeds being ticketed. Alberta and Saskatchewan are the only places in North America hogging the left (passing) lane. In Texas you are risking getting shot for interrupting the flow of traffic blocking the passing lane. Highest risk is Texas and California is next. I’m not condoning that stupid behaviour but your risk is there. If you can’t keep up regardless of the speed stay right. If you’re scared don’t drive and if you see someone driving like an idiot call it in.

dgl1948
02-20-2023, 04:51 AM
Bring in vehicle inspections for passenger vehicles then. 120 in some of the junk allowed on our roads is insane. Bald mismatched tires at 120 ? Please not near me. Gonna suck up a lot of fuel too. If only we refined it here ourselves... Create some income for Alberta.

You forgot more carbon tax for Trudeau.

EZM
02-20-2023, 11:57 AM
I’ve driven pretty much everywhere in North America. There are minimums posted on some higher speed highways warning of lower speeds being ticketed. Alberta and Saskatchewan are the only places in North America hogging the left (passing) lane.

I am in California, and driving, at least once every 3-4 weeks on average and many times I fly into Vegas and Drive into LA (as out facility is on the east side of greater LA) and I completely disagree with "blocking the left lane is only an Alberta/Sask thing".

I spend time in Texas, The mid west, Washington and other areas and California, barr none, is the WORST for having people "ignore" the common sense courtesy of having slower traffic on the highways (and city for that matter) to the right. People drive slow in the Left lane and completely ignore the traffic flow consistently. It's like they have absolutely no idea this "rule" even exsists.

I am more often than not, having to change lanes and pass slower passenger vehicles on the right because people simply don't move over or even acknowledge the fact they are travelling at a slower speed compared to the flow. Clueless. Common.

Big Grey Wolf
02-20-2023, 12:15 PM
Just for the record, the left lane in Alberta and Sask is considered a 'Faster traffic lane'. It has never been considered a "Passing Lane". Just read signs posted on Alberta highways. If you are pulling trailer then normal to drive in slower right lane. If you are driving like a fool you get to use the left lane.

bat119
02-20-2023, 12:46 PM
The speed limit is the same in both lanes, travel in the right lane if you come up on a slower vehicle pass in the left lane. There is no fast express lane

keeks
02-20-2023, 01:08 PM

I see this all the time on 43 west of Whitecourt. It's kind of frustrating. 90 up the hill, 130 downhill. I get it, but I don't like it. There's fewer "drivers" in these rigs with a lot more "steering wheel holders".

Talking moose
02-20-2023, 03:12 PM
The speed limit is the same in both lanes, travel in the right lane if you come up on a slower vehicle pass in the left lane. There is no fast express lane

This.

Savage Bacon
02-20-2023, 03:25 PM
I like when there's 3 lanes. I get in the right lane as its always empty, set my cruise control, and pass everyone.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

KGB
02-20-2023, 03:38 PM
I like when there's 3 lanes. I get in the right lane as its always empty, set my cruise control, and pass everyone.

No kidding! I do the same, somehow all the slow movers are in the far left lane, feeling obligated to enforce the strict speed limit for the rest of us :angry3:
I also like to pass them and get in front of them and taking the foot off the gas pedal slowly slowing down to 10 below speed limit. That usually cause them to move to the right lane and pass me on the right showing a finger, lol! Makes me very happy! I just smile and wave my hand in a super friendly manor…

bat119
02-20-2023, 03:52 PM
I like when I go to pass a slower car see a truck doing 140 in the passing lane signal take control of the left lane, after the speeder starts tailgating a couple feet off my bumper I slowly pass until I see the car in my rear view then ease back into the driving lane.

Talking moose
02-20-2023, 04:23 PM
^ Prime candidate for road rage incident.

bat119
02-20-2023, 04:25 PM

I don't facilitate law breakers bring it on

I’d rather be outdoors
02-20-2023, 06:25 PM

It’s actually worse behaviour than the person doing 140. Way more likely to cause an accident.

silver
02-20-2023, 06:53 PM
There was a time I was doing a good speed in the left lane coming up on a car and a semi in the right lane. The car pulled out in front of me to pass the semi. they were only moving about two mph faster than the truck. After a bit, the guy two vehicles back put on his red and blue lights and it was amazing how the car found some speed.

Mr Flyguy
02-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Brilliant, increase the limit on the Henday to 120 and then watch the pile ups traveling east at the Campbell Road merge at 5 pm rush hour.

Rusty50
02-20-2023, 07:49 PM
Slow down boys, save a life maybe even you own!! or insurance costs!! Anyone travelling 140 in a 100 or 120 zone deserves the ditch or the ticket.

spoiledsaskhunter
02-20-2023, 08:40 PM
i haven't got my mind wrapped around why these dipsh&ts in alberta want to travel in the left lane even if they're driving 90 km/hr. i have repeatedly told some of my friends to keep the hell in the right lane unless they're passing, but no, they think they're the traffic police and wander along at their own pace. i really believe it' s an alberta attitude.......f'u if you don't like it. even retired farmers in saskatchewan have the courtesy of driving in the right lane (well, most of the time)

KGB
02-21-2023, 12:32 PM
I don't facilitate law breakers bring it on

We have a traffic enforcer here! Volunteering for the police? :sHa_shakeshout:

bat119
02-21-2023, 01:53 PM
We have a traffic enforcer here! Volunteering for the police? :sHa_shakeshout:

I support safe driving and courtesy on the road, big bad speeding tailgating bozo's get no respect, if I need a lane I take it, the cool kids can suck it up.:)

elkhunter11
02-21-2023, 03:03 PM
If you are driving 100 in a 110 zone, and people are passing you on the right, you are driving in the wrong lane.

Dewey Cox
02-21-2023, 03:58 PM
You are not making the road a safer place by letting traffic bunch up.
Sure, you might not agree with people speeding, but you can't control other people.
What you can control is your reaction.
Be a bigger man and move over, let them by and out of your life.
Backing people up just because you can is petty and pathetic.

britman101
02-21-2023, 04:17 PM
And just a reminder about the change that will take place on March 1st when passing an emergency vehicle.

Trochu
02-21-2023, 04:26 PM
All lanes, that's new. I liked "adjacent lane", but some seemed to struggle with it and this is definitely cleaner. Aka, emergency vehicle = slow down.

bat119
02-21-2023, 04:57 PM
All lanes, that's new. I liked "adjacent lane", but some seemed to struggle with it and this is definitely cleaner. Aka, emergency vehicle = slow down.

That’s the same as Saskatchewan the first time I passed a cop in Alberta I slowed to 60 in the outside lane my bad

Phil McCracken
02-21-2023, 05:08 PM
So this thread was revived after almost 2 years.

Speed limits on most highways are still not 120 kms/hour in Alberta.

Talk to you all on this thread in another 2 years...hehe...:sHa_shakeshout:

rasbok
02-21-2023, 05:17 PM
exactly

If you are driving 100 in a 110 zone, and people are passing you on the right, you are driving in the wrong lane.

I’d rather be outdoors
02-21-2023, 05:55 PM
Backing people up just because you can is petty and pathetic.

X2 & incredibly dangerous!

58thecat
02-21-2023, 05:58 PM
So this thread was revived after almost 2 years.

Speed limits on most highways are still not 120 kms/hour in Alberta.

Talk to you all on this thread in another 2 years...hehe...:sHa_shakeshout:

Yup!

dfarms11
02-21-2023, 08:22 PM
Did anything ever come of this Bill? Did it even get presented? Did it get put down? Still in consideration?

chickensashimi
02-23-2023, 09:37 AM

A UCP MLA has put forth a private members bill to increase the speed limit on some of the highways in Alberta to 120 kmph.

Personally I think it is long overdue on the twinned highways in the province. Vehicles today are light years ahead in handling and safety compared to vehicles even 20 years ago.

Still mulling over in my mind if they should maybe limit heavy vehicles to a lower speed say 100 or 110 kmph like some other jurisdictions do.

Should be an interesting debate as I know the Edmonton Police Chief was stating the Henday limit should be increased to 110 kmph a couple of years back.
Yes the should, especially the #1,#2, and #3

elkhunter11
02-23-2023, 09:54 AM
I doubt that we will ever see a 110km limit on the Henday, as that would cut into revenue. As backwards as the Edmonton council is, I am surprised that they don't lower the limit to increase revenue.

MountainTi
02-23-2023, 09:56 AM
Yes the should, especially the #1,#2, and #3

#43 and #16 as well. At least 120 km/hr.
Add to it a lot of these secondary paved roads at only 80. Bump them up as well.
Far more enjoyable driving in the US with higher speed limits

treeroot
02-23-2023, 05:37 PM
I would be very opposed to this..

Take one drive down a alberta highway and just focus on the on coming driver.. Try to count how many of those driver's are on their cell phone.. You'll loose count after a short while.

Increasing speed limit to get to your desitnation a bit earlier? Not worth it.. I get if your driving fort mac to Calagry you'll get their signfiicantly eariler, but most of us on a highway are not driving it for 3-5 hours, just a short drive.. So in the end it won't matter much, except more accidents..

And besides, on 100km/hr highways, everyone goes 110-120 anyays.. Cops don't even flash lights when your doing 115 in a 100. So increasing it to 120 will mean most people will evnetually push that to 130-140.. We don't need that on our highways that are riddled with wild life and drivers on cell phones.

58thecat
02-23-2023, 06:19 PM

Take one drive down a alberta highway and just focus on the on coming driver.. Try to count how many of those driver's are on their cell phone.. You'll loose count after a short while.

Increasing speed limit to get to your desitnation a bit earlier? Not worth it.. I get if your driving fort mac to Calagry you'll get their signfiicantly eariler, but most of us on a highway are not driving it for 3-5 hours, just a short drive.. So in the end it won't matter much, except more accidents..

And besides, on 100km/hr highways, everyone goes 110-120 anyays.. Cops don't even flash lights when your doing 115 in a 100. So increasing it to 120 will mean most people will evnetually push that to 130-140.. We don't need that on our highways that are riddled with wild life and drivers on cell phones.

Agree, what’s the rush?
And regarding the longer drives pass everyone just to pull over for a one hour break for lunch .
You see it all the time as people weave in And out of traffic just to all gather at the next set of lights ohhh I know your two cars ahead of me, ok you win.
Speed likings are fine as they are.

I’d rather be outdoors
02-23-2023, 07:02 PM
If the limit increased (doubtful it will due to the revenue current limits generate) nobody is forcing anyone to do 120, it’s a limit. Want to go slower? No problem, stay in the far right lane.

58thecat
02-24-2023, 06:24 AM
If the limit increased (doubtful it will due to the revenue current limits generate) nobody is forcing anyone to do 120, it’s a limit. Want to go slower? No problem, stay in the far right lane.

Problem is that most will travel 15 over minimum in all types of weather conditions bumper to bumper with cell phones in hand.:(

I’d rather be outdoors
02-24-2023, 07:24 AM
Problem is that most will travel 15 over minimum in all types of weather conditions bumper to bumper with cell phones in hand.:(

There are existing laws for these sorts of things…as for weather conditions, people need to drive at their respective comfort zones in said conditions.

MountainTi
02-24-2023, 07:40 AM

What's the difference between 100 and 120 if everyone is driving too fast for weather conditions while cell phone is in hand?

elkhunter11
02-24-2023, 07:50 AM
What's the difference between 100 and 120 if everyone is driving too fast for weather conditions while cell phone is in hand?

That is like asking how more firearms laws will make society safer, if criminals ignore the current legislation.:thinking-006:

MountainTi
02-24-2023, 07:55 AM
That is like asking how more firearms laws will make society safer, if criminals ignore the current legislation.:thinking-006:

Tough concept to figure out I guess

58thecat
02-24-2023, 08:01 AM

well if your driving to fast for weather conditions, cell phone in hand your part of the problem not the solution, that's the difference.

MountainTi
02-24-2023, 08:09 AM
well if your driving to fast for weather conditions, cell phone in hand your part of the problem not the solution, that's the difference.

So if you're not driving too fast for weather conditions and not "distracted" driving, then 120 is an acceptable speed limit?

elkhunter11
02-24-2023, 08:10 AM

And you likely don't care about observing speed limits, so if they are 10km higher or lower, it doesn't matter to you.

58thecat
02-24-2023, 08:24 AM
And you likely don't care about observing speed limits, so if they are 10km higher or lower, it doesn't matter to you.

Observing speed limits is one thing, obeying is another, now toss in distracted driving, not being a defensive driver, it’s just a matter of time before there is a wreck.
The speed limits are fine as is and I got the feeling they are not going to change.
As indicated earlier this is a old thread, hashed out and speed limits are still the same.
Oh I do care as I would like all to arrive alive.

elkhunter11
02-24-2023, 08:35 AM
Observing speed limits is one thing, obeying is another, now toss in distracted driving, not being a defensive driver, it’s just a matter of time before there is a wreck.
The speed limits are fine as is and I got the feeling they are not going to change.
As indicated earlier this is a old thread, hashed out and speed limits are still the same.
Oh I do care as I would like all to arrive alive.

The people that drive too fast for road conditions, or with a cell phone obviously don't care, they don't bother observing the regulations, so they don't let speed limits control their driving. So if you are thinking that a lower speed limit will protect you from them, you are just kidding yourself. The same is true for the fools that think that more firearms laws will prevent shootings.

Phil McCracken
02-24-2023, 09:14 AM
The people that drive too fast for road conditions, or with a cell phone obviously don't care, they don't bother observing the regulations, so they don't let speed limits control their driving. So if you are thinking that a lower speed limit will protect you from them, you are just kidding yourself. The same is true for the fools that think that more firearms laws will prevent shootings.

Please advise the rest of us why this has anything to do with increasing speed limits to 120KPH...:confused::)

elkhunter11
02-24-2023, 09:27 AM
[/B]

Please advise the rest of us why this has anything to do with increasing speed limits to 120KPH...:confused::)

The concept is the same, if certain people choose not to obey the regulations, it really doesn't matter what the regulations are. It's a pretty simple concept to understand.

58thecat
02-24-2023, 09:37 AM
[/B]

I hear what elk is saying now, regardless of increased speed limits, decreased speed limits, there will always be those people as elk mentioned.

yup I said those people:)

We all can agree on one thing though, public safety is first and foremost.

Phil McCracken
02-24-2023, 09:39 AM
The concept is the same, if certain people choose not to obey the regulations, it really doesn't matter what the regulations are. It's a pretty simple concept to understand.

Duly noted sir...and Thank You for explaining it in "simple" terms, much appreciated as always...:)

elkhunter11
02-24-2023, 09:56 AM
I hear what elk is saying now, regardless of increased speed limits, decreased speed limits, there will always be those people as elk mentioned.

yup I said those people:)

We all can agree on one thing though, public safety is first and foremost.

Public safety SHOULD be first and foremost, but we know that isn't always the way that it is when government is concerned. Revenue and politics often end up being the governments first concern. And that doesn't matter whether we are talking speed limits, firearms laws, illegal drugs or crimes in general.

Bigwoodsman
02-24-2023, 11:01 AM
Public safety SHOULD be first and foremost, but we know that isn't always the way that it is when government is concerned. Revenue and politics often end up being the governments first concern. And that doesn't matter whether we are talking speed limits, firearms laws, illegal drugs or crimes in general.

I'd rather see a minimum speed limit of 90K. All implements of husbandry sent to secondary roads. All loads over 10ft wide on secondary highways unless no other route is available. Split speed limits between tractor trailers with legal loads and regular traffic don't really work well. Again I don't like it when the big trucks are cruising north of 110K as well. Takes to much time and space when you get a holly crap momment.

BW

jhl
02-24-2023, 12:16 PM
With the conditions of most if not all the roads in Alberta going in excess of 90 is taking your life in your hands. try going 120 from Valleyview to Grande Prairie, and see how that works for you.

58thecat
02-24-2023, 12:58 PM

Public safety is first and foremost just sometimes depending on what side of the fence you are on any given day on any given subject people are going to agree or disagree.

elkhunter11
02-24-2023, 01:19 PM
Public safety is first and foremost just sometimes depending on what side of the fence you are on any given day on any given subject people are going to agree or disagree.

:sHa_sarcasticlol: Trudeau tells us that the firearm bans are for public safety. That should be enough to prove that public safety is just an excuse, that politicians use to justify legislation. The enacting of the Emergency Measures Act, is another example.

58thecat
02-24-2023, 02:16 PM
:sHa_sarcasticlol: Trudeau tells us that the firearm bans are for public safety. That should be enough to prove that public safety is just an excuse, that politicians use to justify legislation. The enacting of the Emergency Measures Act, is another example.

I hear you on that and agree but as I said earlier this you and I don’t agree on what the turd puts forth but some do.
Unfortunately in some cases the majority do agree whether it’s speed limits etc.
Not everything will ever line up perfectly for ones wants, needs and desires and thats life.

elkhunter11
02-24-2023, 02:27 PM
I hear you on that and agree but as I said earlier this you and I don’t agree on what the turd puts forth but some do.
Unfortunately in some cases the majority do agree whether it’s speed limits etc.
Not everything will ever line up perfectly for ones wants, needs and desires and thats life.

My point is, that those are examples that prove that public safety was just an excuse, the real reason was politics, and the fact that some gullible people might believe that public safety was the reason, doesn't change that.

58thecat
02-24-2023, 02:58 PM
My point is, that those are examples that prove that public safety was just an excuse, the real reason was politics, and the fact that some gullible people might believe that public safety was the reason, doesn't change that.

And my point is that you see things through a different set of eyes as we all do.
Politics will always play a factor in everything.
Sometimes things line up with what we like and sometimes not.
Point is that some may say the same about you and I being gullible on certain areas of politics, versions of public safety etc

Phil McCracken
02-24-2023, 05:13 PM
And my point is that you see things through a different set of eyes as we all do.
Politics will always play a factor in everything.
Sometimes things line up with what we like and sometimes not.
Point is that some may say the same about you and I being gullible on certain areas of politics, versions of public safety etc

The point is 58...our good pal Elk11 is always right...no matter what you, or anyone else here says around here.

My earlier point was that he derailed the thread by bringing up firearms laws...again....which again morphed into other political gibberish, away from the subject at hand.

This is about raising the speeds to 120KPH, nothing else. Many have provided some very valid points/opinions on this topic, which I'm sure was appreciated by most...:)

58thecat
02-24-2023, 05:35 PM
The point is 58...our good pal Elk11 is always right...no matter what you, or anyone else here says around here.

My earlier point was that he derailed the thread by bringing up firearms laws...again....which again morphed into other political gibberish, away from the subject at hand.

This is about raising the speeds to 120KPH, nothing else. Many have provided some very valid points/opinions on this topic, which I'm sure was appreciated by most...:)

Got me hook, line and sinker….

The speed limits are good as they are for the road conditions and population density we have in various areas.

Thx for keeping me on an even keel.

elkhunter11
02-24-2023, 05:55 PM

I hate to break it to you, but politics is a huge factor in all traffic legislation, including speed limits. The revenue from speeding tickets is a factor that will always be considered by politicians, before they would ever consider making any changes. And it's obvious that you seem to gravitate to my posts, to try and discredit me, because I dared to post actual instances where your allmighty RCMP have commited illegal acts, or have colluded with Trudeau in his corruption. I know, you just can't help yourself.

silver
02-24-2023, 05:55 PM
I have been travelling down hiway 16 at 130 km and been passed by the rcmp at what I estimate at 140. Yes, I am breaking the law but so are they. If they are not in hot pursuit of a bad guy or have been directed to a call, they are breaking the law more than me.

I’d rather be outdoors
02-24-2023, 06:33 PM
Some people have had bad and tragic experiences on the road. I’d be surprised if we haven’t all been personally impacted by something that’s happened “on the road”. Elk’s proxy of firearm legislation or use of the “emergencies act” is logical and can be applied to this instance. Should we just go ahead and ban all assault style cars because they’re capable of super speeds? They have the potential to go way over the speed limit non? This is all about the human factor. Do firearms incidents happen? Yes, but should we restrict EVERYONE or just harshly punish those that choose to do stupid things? Changing the speed limit to 120 isn’t outlandish. Are stupid people still gonna do stupid things? You can bet on it. Can the average Joe manage 120 safely? You bet. We’re not gonna fix people and the majority can at least live our lives a bit less constrained in a world that seems hell bent on furthering constraints.

huntsfurfish
02-24-2023, 08:38 PM
Are you more likely to suffer serious injury or death at 120 vs 100? Think I posted something like this before on another thread. Distracted driving in conjunction with higher speeds = less reaction time. There are other factors involved as well. Reaction times change as you age for example.
There is a reason they say "speed kills".

Leave earlier and try and enjoy the drive!;)

The reasons for upping the speed limits are me me me related.

And gun control issue has nothing to do with this!

edit: A fair amount of people drive 10-15 over as it is and would likely still do that even if the speed limit was raised. Dont need that! Leave the speed limits where they are! Or maybe reduce them to appease the ones saying its all about the money from radar.:evilgrin:

I’d rather be outdoors
02-25-2023, 08:08 AM

The reasons for upping the speed limits are me me me related.:

-A lot of things in life can harm you & there’s irony in your “me me me” comment somewhere.

-Try driving the Coquihalla in BC. Who knows, you might even like it!

MountainTi
02-25-2023, 08:12 AM
-A lot of things in life can harm you & there’s irony in your “me me me” comment somewhere.

-Try driving the Coquihalla in BC. Who knows, you might even like it!

lol. The irony is strong

Savage Bacon
02-25-2023, 10:01 AM
Most of the highways, and modern passenger vehicles, can support a higher speed limit.

Maybe not main arteries going through say Edmonton, or Calgary. But the #2 between them could be much higher.

You could lower the speed limits and that would have little affect on the majority of accidents.

I believe that a slower moving vehicle on a highway poses a much higher risk than a faster moving vehicle.

Also, do gooders that are blocking people from passing are doing nothing but expressing their road rage.

Most of the people passing you are not being unsafe. Stop being an idiot and move to the right. It's fine that you left early and are taking your time. Just keep putting along and stop trying to change the flow of traffic because you don't agree with it.

bat119
02-25-2023, 12:33 PM
The myth of the fast lane

use the DRIVING lane for speeding use the PASSING lane for overtaking slower vehicles

Didn't anybody else take driver training?

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/c16316d3-91c1-4e5a-9961-4f7b39bb6db0/resource/c28c4329-b613-49d4-a94f-10a24c266285/download/trans-keep-right-except-to-pass-sign-2006-12.pdf

the.tru.albertan
04-18-2023, 02:10 AM

Nah, that's not how that works.

FishOutOfWater
04-18-2023, 12:51 PM

Yes, there is. Very similar to the reason why "they" say "guns kill"...

To push an agenda.

Speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop when accidents happen.

:sign0161:

raab
04-18-2023, 01:41 PM

Most heavy trucks have a hard time doing anything over 120kmh anyways, and a substantial amount are governed at less than 110kmh.

raab
04-18-2023, 01:51 PM
We should be like the Germans and remove speed limits on our major highways outside city limits.

Stinky Buffalo
04-18-2023, 03:12 PM
We should be like the Germans and remove speed limits on our major highways outside city limits.

Yes, but they have TÜV too - which would route a good portion of our personal vehicles to the junkyard. Can't have old rattletraps rocketing along the #2 at 180 kph...

raab
04-18-2023, 04:11 PM
Yes, but they have TÜV too - which would route a good portion of our personal vehicles to the junkyard. Can't have old rattletraps rocketing along the #2 at 180 kph...

If we could drive 180kmh I think people would be upgrading their cars a lot more. What’s the point of a fast car when you’re confined to 110kmh? Might as well get a Corolla.

Mr Flyguy
04-18-2023, 04:33 PM
Yeah, being able to drive faster makes a lot of sense.

400k at 110 kph will take 218 minutes.

400k at 120 kph will take only 200 min

One can do a lot with those 18 minutes. :sHa_shakeshout:

Au revoir, Gopher
04-18-2023, 04:46 PM

Probably spend 15 of those minutes ranting about the guy you are stuck behind who is only doing 110 kph. :)

ARG

Texican
04-18-2023, 04:49 PM
Most heavy trucks have a hard time doing anything over 120kmh anyways, and a substantial amount are governed at less than 110kmh.

Gave up my class 1 a few years ago but the laws kept our extended length trailers (triples and turnpike doubles) to 100 kph. Only allowed on divided highways where everyone else wants to go much faster.

So if we ended up pulling a B train, A train or even a single 53 footer one would think we could round trip much quicker. WRONG The insurance companies found out that if every tractor in the fleet (about 200) was limited to 100kph, accidents and insurance claims were way less. Hence to keep insurance premiums down we were forced to adjust the on board computers to limit maximum speed to 100. Bottom line was to lower running cost

Using all those extra axles should give a higher gross weight but the DOT still kept maximum gross weight to 63,500 kg about 140,000 pounds

smitty9
04-19-2023, 01:51 PM
I'd much rather see the QE2 expanded to 3 lanes (with dedicated 4th shoulder lanes for overpass merges etc) in each direction. Then increase the speed limit.

Should also implement a dynamic speed limit system in the winter, where weather dictates lowering the speed to 80 kph. Not every winter driver is...competent.

elkhunter11
04-19-2023, 01:58 PM
I'd much rather see the QE2 expanded to 3 lanes (with dedicated 4th shoulder lanes for overpass merges etc) in each direction. Then increase the speed limit.

Should also implement a dynamic speed limit system in the winter, where weather dictates lowering the speed to 80 kph. Not every winter driver is...competent.

Better to deal with the incompetent drivers, rather than drop the speed limit to accommodate them.

bat119
04-19-2023, 02:18 PM
Better to deal with the incompetent drivers, rather than drop the speed limit to accommodate them.

Problem is the worst drivers on the road think they are the best

elkhunter11
04-19-2023, 02:23 PM
Problem is the worst drivers on the road think they are the best

It doesn't matter what they think, judge them based on their driving records. If they were found at fault for causing multiple accidents, they obviously are not safe drivers.

raab
04-19-2023, 03:17 PM

What happen when you can do it at 200kmh?

bat119
04-19-2023, 03:36 PM
40Kms. @ 100kph = 24 mins.
40Kms. @ 110kph = 21.8 mins.

And you get the prize for getting to the next traffic light first

the.tru.albertan
04-20-2023, 06:08 AM
40Kms. @ 100kph = 24 mins.
40Kms. @ 110kph = 21.8 mins.

And you get the prize for getting to the next traffic light first

Or you get the prize for facing a green traffic light instead of a red one. Or you get the prize for being ahead of a semi that rolls over and blocks Highway 1 thru a mountain pass rather than stuck behind it.

Driving is a dynamic environment with lots of variables.

That being said, I should be able to blast at 130kph down QEII during summer. VSL is the way to go. Shame nothing ever changes for the better here in this province.

waldedw
04-20-2023, 07:33 AM
The thing is people don't drive the speed limit anyway, it's 110 and everyone is doing 120, if the speed limit was raised to 120 everyone would be doing 130, the shape our roads are in 130 is to fast for 80% of the drivers on the roads, you would have the weekend warriors pulling their 40' toy haulers at 130 doing the speed wobble. :thinking-006:

pikeman06
04-20-2023, 07:45 AM
Drive as fast as you want and take your chances. The government isn't going to change a thing besides maybe turning a few secondary highways that have sadly fallen beyond repair, back into high grade gravel roads that at least can be maintained with a grader now and then. At the cost of fuel these days, my 6.0 liter chevy 3/4 tons burn more fuel at high speed than the actual cost of a speeding ticket, when driving much above 110. To each and their own.

elkhunter11
04-20-2023, 07:51 AM
The thing is people don't drive the speed limit anyway, it's 110 and everyone is doing 120, if the speed limit was raised to 120 everyone would be doing 130, the shape our roads are in 130 is to fast for 80% of the drivers on the roads, you would have the weekend warriors pulling their 40' toy haulers at 130 doing the speed wobble. :thinking-006:

From what I am seeing, many people drive the same speed, whether the limit is 100 or 110. Personally, I drive 100km when towing my boat, regardless of the speed limit, because the trailer tires are rated for 100. The biggest effect of raising the limit would be lost revenue in speeding fines, but that could easily be made up with more enforcement of cell phone use, and unsafe vehicles.

Mr Flyguy
04-20-2023, 08:17 AM
What happen when you can do it at 200kmh?

To paraphrase Elon Musk: "...probably an unplanned rapid disassembly.." somewhere along the road.

smitty9
04-20-2023, 08:25 AM
It doesn't matter what they think, judge them based on their driving records. If they were found at fault for causing multiple accidents, they obviously are not safe drivers.

But in the meantime, who cares about the carnage they cause, right?

elkhunter11
04-20-2023, 08:34 AM
But in the meantime, who cares about the carnage they cause, right?

Obviously, the authorities could suspend the licenses of anyone with a bad record. They could reduce the number of points allowed to lose your license. Getting thise people off of the road would prevent more carnage than a 10km/hr difference in speed limits for the drivers with good records.

Salavee
04-20-2023, 11:00 AM

^. This is it. Pick a lane and go as fast as you want.! If the left lane is too slow for you , move over to the right lane and give 'er. No such thing as a designated passing lane in Alberta . Safety and common sense are getting to be a thing of the past. To those that pass me on the left and duck back in my lane immediately in front of me.. for some unknown reason, owe me for a couple of windsheilds. Such is the way it is these days. Upping the speed limit won't make one bit of difference, except "accidents" will be more dramatic.

Dylan15
04-20-2023, 12:00 PM
^. This is it. Pick a lane and go as fast as you want.! If the left lane is too slow for you , move over to the right lane and give 'er. No such thing as a designated passing lane in Alberta . Safety and common sense are getting to be a thing of the past. To those that pass me on the left and duck back in my lane immediately in front of me.. for some unknown reason, owe me for a couple of windsheilds. Such is the way it is these days. Upping the speed limit won't make one bit of difference, except "accidents" will be more dramatic.

Are we ignoring all the 'slower traffic keep right' signs posted all over by the highway department? There most certainly is a 'slow' lane in all practical aspects. Pick a lane and go whatever speed you want is very incorrect. There are faster drivers than me, as well as slower drivers. If you aren't overtaking, keep in right lane. Use your mirrors and defensive driving. Been awhile since any driver tests for me, but when I did my class 1, the tester docked points if you weren't checking your mirrors constantly. This is for big rigs, but applies to passenger vehicles as well. How often do people going 110 pass someone going 108, not checking their mirror several times over a minute before the merge to the left and cut off someone driving faster? You are correct people may merge too fast to the right after, but some people will not merge back at all, or an extended time after, while not checking their right mirror when moving back to right lane. With your advise of moving right to 'give er' I would be at a much higher risk of getting run off the road. This happens to me frequently.

elkhunter11
04-20-2023, 12:13 PM
Are we ignoring all the 'slower traffic keep right' signs posted all over by the highway department? There most certainly is a 'slow' lane in all practical aspects. Pick a lane and go whatever speed you want is very incorrect. There are faster drivers than me, as well as slower drivers. If you aren't overtaking, keep in right lane. Use your mirrors and defensive driving. Been awhile since any driver tests for me, but when I did my class 1, the tester docked points if you weren't checking your mirrors constantly. This is for big rigs, but applies to passenger vehicles as well. How often do people going 110 pass someone going 108, not checking their mirror several times over a minute before the merge to the left and cut off someone driving faster? You are correct people may merge too fast to the right after, but some people will not merge back at all, or an extended time after, while not checking their right mirror when moving back to right lane. With your advise of moving right to 'give er' I would be at a much higher risk of getting run off the road. This happens to me frequently.

When signs state "keep right except to pass" it means keep right except to pass, pretty simple to understand.

Dylan15
04-20-2023, 12:13 PM
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/573d9db7-6dc1-41e5-8d1c-07b47578d067/resource/42cb505d-ce55-495b-902c-7734fe83007f/download/trans-slower-traffic-keep-right-sign-2006-12.pdf

"In Alberta, the Traffic Safety Act, Regulation
AR 304/2002 has provisions for the
operation of traffic along multi-lane
highways. Under the Act, drivers are
required to use the outside lanes unless
their travelling speeds are at or near the
posted speed. The inside or centre lane
accommodates overtaking maneuvers."

Much is up for interpretation here, as the act does require to use outside lanes unless travelling about the posted speed. However, it does say the inside lanes are accommodating passing.

Personally, driving in right lane is much safer, as I was taught in drivers ed. People turning left onto highway are much more likely to get into accidents than people turning right. I prefer to drive in right lane for this reason alone, and don't understand people thinking it's safer to travel at or under posted in the centre lane. They will have to deal with people left turning both on and off highway, as well as people wanting to pass them. My 2 cents.

Salavee
04-20-2023, 01:08 PM
When signs state "keep right except to pass" it means keep right except to pass, pretty simple to understand.

Is that the Law, or just a suggestion ? Seems, to me that a driver can select any lane he choses so long as he isn't impeding traffic. Certainly travelling at 120 or 130 on the inside lane shouldn't be impeding anyone. You should be passing everything on the outside lane.

Try doing 140 on the inside lane on Hwy 2 S and see how many are crawling up your azz. It's like a freakin Autobaun. Easyer to pick a lane and travel above above the imposed limit and stay there. If someone is going faster, they can select a lane to pass and get on with it. Thier choice.

Dylan15
04-20-2023, 01:41 PM
Is that the Law, or just a suggestion ? Seems, to me that a driver can select any lane he choses so long as he isn't impeding traffic. Certainly travelling at 120 or 130 on the inside lane shouldn't be impeding anyone. You should be passing everything on the outside lane.

Try doing 140 on the inside lane on Hwy 2 S and see how many are crawling up your azz. It's like a freakin Autobaun. Easyer to pick a lane and travel above above the imposed limit and stay there. If someone is going faster, they can select a lane to pass and get on with it. Thier choice.

3(1) If a person driving a vehicle is driving the vehicle on a highway at a speed that is less than the normal speed of the traffic on the highway at that time and place and under the conditions then existing, that person shall drive the vehicle

(a) in the right traffic lane then available for traffic, or

(b) as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway,

except when either

(c) overtaking and passing another vehicle travelling in the same direction, or

(d) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Alberta Regulation 304/2002

Kind of both a law and suggestion, although somewhat ambiguous, as it mentions normal traffic speed for conditions, not max speed limit. So a guy could interpret it as normal traffic being 125, or the speed limit, depending on how you pick that up. Basically though, the right lane should be chosen if you are driving at a speed under normal speed of traffic, but (c) and (d) give exceptions to travelling in centre or other lanes. They could've done a bit better with the wording there.

the.tru.albertan
04-22-2023, 09:21 AM
You guys are confusing "Keep right except to pass" with "slower taffic keep right".

Keep right except to pass is when there is a third lane, call it an auxiliary lane during hills and such. These only showed up on QEII back around 2015 or 2016. They have been on normal 2 lane highways for a very long time. You HAVE to use the right lane unless passing. End of story. No centre of left lane cruising.

Here:
In Alberta, the regulation of the Act is
supported with the use of the regulatory
Keep Right Except to Pass sign. The sign
is introduced to advise drivers that they
must use the right lane except when they
are passing a slower vehicle.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/c16316d3-91c1-4e5a-9961-4f7b39bb6db0/resource/c28c4329-b613-49d4-a94f-10a24c266285/download/trans-keep-right-except-to-pass-sign-2006-12.pdf

the.tru.albertan
04-22-2023, 09:23 AM
The real issue is how Albertans can't figure out how to merge on the highway. Depress the gas pedal and get the hell up to speed. Albertans are notorious for reaching the end of an on-ramp and still going 80-90kph. Ridiculous.

bat119
04-22-2023, 09:29 AM
What is the ultra fast lane ?

Another urban myth?

elkhunter11
04-22-2023, 09:56 AM
The real issue is how Albertans can't figure out how to merge on the highway. Depress the gas pedal and get the hell up to speed. Albertans are notorious for reaching the end of an on-ramp and still going 80-90kph. Ridiculous.

I was stick in a lineup behind a fool that entered the Henday at 30km/hr. Dozens of vehicles were bunched together, behind the fool, creating a dangerous situation. Fools like that are much more of a hazard, than the guy going 10km over the limit.

bat119
04-22-2023, 10:05 AM
Gallagher on Stupid Drivers he has right idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLmIR6MOFiE

dfarms11
04-22-2023, 02:16 PM

You think Albertans don't know how to merge. Have you ever been to Vancouver? Every on/ off ramp, traffic slows to a crawl! It drives a guy nuts!

the.tru.albertan
04-26-2023, 10:11 AM
What is the ultra fast lane ?

Another urban myth?

Lol, it's lyrics from a Denis Leary song called "*****hole"

Great tune from the 90's I believe.

You think Albertans don't know how to merge. Have you ever been to Vancouver? Every on/ off ramp, traffic slows to a crawl! It drives a guy nuts!

They are just bad drivers in general there. Albertans excel in some places and are terrible in others.... merging onto a highway being one.