PDA

View Full Version : Spot/In reach ??

Jamie
03-14-2021, 08:33 PM
Hey all.. My son is off on some kinda cool adventures and seems to be hiking all over the SW of the USA. I was thinking with his lack of back up getting him one of these units. I am thinking right off the hop that I want him to have a piece of Tech that allows him to punch a emergency button and the Cavalry is on the way. I don't think he needs all the extra doodads like messaging etc etc. Staying away from a monthly subscription would bee very nice as well. He is a University student and $$$ is tight.

This weeks adventure is him taking a shot at making the river in the Grand Canyon and back out the same day.

Any suggestions?

Jason Bourne
03-14-2021, 09:58 PM
Jamie, maybe look at a personal locator beacon. My understanding is that it's exactly that. Use it when you need the cavalry now. No messaging etc but no subscription either. McMurdo Fastfind is one that comes to mind. I use an InReach and can confirm that i have used it to communicate from river level at multiple locations in the Grand Canyon. The southwest is an amazing place and there are many wonderful places to see. They are however generally remote. As much as we all hate paying insurance (how i view my InReach) this is not your car or house.

Grizzly Adams
03-14-2021, 10:08 PM
Jamie, maybe look at a personal locator beacon. My understanding is that it's exactly that. Use it when you need the cavalry now. No messaging etc but no subscription either. McMurdo Fastfind is one that comes to mind. I use an InReach and can confirm that i have used it to communicate from river level at multiple locations in the Grand Canyon. The southwest is an amazing place and there are many wonderful places to see. They are however generally remote. As much as we all hate paying insurance (how i view my InReach) this is not your car or house.

My son has one of those. They've never had to use it, but supposedly the most reliable system , if you need it. I've got a Spot X and appreciate the text communication and the ability to let my kids know where to find the body. :lol: Not terribly expensive and you can disable it when you're not travelling.

Grizz

Off in the Bushes
03-14-2021, 10:37 PM
Just because you have it doesn’t mean they are coming. A guy just died on Crowsnest Mountain. Got into trouble and hit the button and weather conditions were too poor that evening for a rescue they had to wait until morning and as a result he died on the mountain.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/male-hiker-found-dead-on-crowsnest-mountain-after-sending-emergency-signal

marky_mark
03-14-2021, 10:45 PM
Get an inreach
You push that button
Help will come no matter where you are

Highcountry
03-14-2021, 10:57 PM
Inreach mini i take it everywhere!! Cell service is too unreliable all it takes is one situation and the little subscription seems pretty minor.

DGP
03-14-2021, 11:23 PM
Inreach or inreach mini are great tools to have when there's lack of service. Inreach is on a much more reliable system than the Spot. Service can be iffy with the spot. There's also a cheaper option, the Zoleo out now as well. I don't have any personal experience with it but it's supposed to be on the same system as the inreach.

Sleddawg
03-15-2021, 12:46 AM
100% on the inreach, just because you dont care now to have the doodads and messaging feature doesn't mean it wont be worth its weight in gold if he's stranded overnight somewhere and you can still communicate. Love mine so much its always in the truck with me even for work, sledding, hiking. 6 years old or so now, holds a charge for about 9 days or so if I am not tracking pings.

Like $30/month and you can hibernate the rate down to 4 or 5 bucks a month I think

Remco
03-15-2021, 11:00 AM
Never used the SOS function but I've had both a SPOT and an InReach.

I've used my InReach for the last 2 years and I've never had a dropped message. I had a SPOT before that and it was real hit or miss whether it would actually send a message.

wildwoods
03-15-2021, 11:08 AM
I realize college kids and money don’t always get along. My Inreach costs $20 per month and you get about 20 messages and SOS button with that package. Also you can send around 3 generic messages for free (example: this is where I am, I’m ok) and it will also have coordinates for the person you’re sending to. It’s an amazing piece of hardware and if he can afford to romp around, he can afford an Inreach. It’s a must have for when I sheep hunt. Worth every cent

Jamie
03-15-2021, 11:20 AM
I realize college kids and money don’t always get along. My Inreach costs $20 per month and you get about 20 messages and SOS button with that package. Also you can send around 3 generic messages for free (example: this is where I am, I’m ok) and it will also have coordinates for the person you’re sending to. It’s an amazing piece of hardware and if he can afford to romp around, he can afford an Inreach. It’s a must have for when I sheep hunt. Worth every cent

What model do you have?

wildwoods
03-15-2021, 11:31 AM
What model do you have?
Find it Here (https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-010-01735-10-Explorer-Satellite-Communicator/dp/B01MY03CZP)

Sritzer
03-23-2021, 08:23 PM
Agreed with Inreach. Good little device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coiloil37
03-23-2021, 09:50 PM
If all you want is a emergency beacon without the ability to send messages and monthly subscription fees just get a PLB. They’re small, inexpensive, no fees, battery lasts about ten years and they’re using the military COSPAS-SARSAT satellites instead of the private birds. I legally have to carry an EPIRB in the boat which is just the marine version of the PLB. You don’t text the missus about how many fish you’ve caught but when the crap hits the fan and you push the button a search and rescue team is on their way.