View Full Version : Rogers to buy Shaw

jstubbs
03-15-2021, 07:38 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5949825

Lol. Pathetic if regulators allow this.

Cross Eyed Cowboy
03-15-2021, 07:56 AM
Selling out to the East once again.
Well you can certainly anticipate a price increase in the near future for those subscribed to Shaw.
My thoughts of switching over to Shaw Satellite from Bell may have to be re-evaluated now.
No doubt there will be some job losses which will occur if this transpires, redundancy, streamlining, increasing shareholder value, improving user experience....blah blah blah!
Those loses will occur in the West.
Terrrible!

fishtank
03-15-2021, 09:38 AM
I thought the government want more option for telecommunications and cheap price for consumers . :thinking-006:

sjr
03-15-2021, 09:55 AM
I thought the government want more option for telecommunications and cheap price for consumers . :thinking-006:

Sure the current minority government is ball's deep in this deal . :snapoutofit:

Dean2
03-15-2021, 10:34 AM
I own shares in Rogers and Shaw. Pretty happy with the jump in share price on both of them this morning. Made enough that higher pricing on my Shaw account won't be a problem. Instead of complaining about these companies, recognise they are in Oligopolies, and like utilities, regulated to ensure profitability, so take advantage and buy their shares. Pretty hard to lose money on a company that provides an set of growing essential services and has very limited competition. Canadian Telecommunications, Utilities and Banks, all pay strong dividends and none of them are going broke any time soon. I earn far more in dividends on my Shaw shares, currently paying 5%, than I will ever pay them for my monthly bill.

With the huge cost of building out the 5G infrastructure, scale is the only way to make that work and being coast to coast will be a big advantage.

nick0danger
03-15-2021, 10:50 AM
I own shares in Rogers and Shaw. Pretty happy with the jump in share price on both of them this morning. Made enough that higher pricing on my Shaw account won't be a problem. Instead of complaining about these companies, recognise they are in Oligopolies, and like utilities, regulated to ensure profitability, so take advantage and buy their shares. Pretty hard to lose money on a company that provides an set of growing essential services and has very limited competition. Canadian Telecommunications, Utilities and Banks, all pay strong dividends and none of them are going broke any time soon. I earn far more in dividends on my Shaw shares, currently paying 5%, than I will ever pay them for my monthly bill.

With the huge cost of building out the 5G infrastructure, scale is the only way to make that work and being coast to coast will be a big advantage.

You get excited about a 10cent quarterly dividend?

Dean2
03-15-2021, 11:09 AM
You get excited about a 10cent quarterly dividend?

Stay out of the stock market, your math skills aren't strong enough to be an investor. :) Dividend is .09854 MONTHLY or $1.18 a year. A thousand shares will pay you $98.54 a month. (Just kidding, it is an easy mistake to make since there aren't that many that pay the dividend monthly)
I bought the shares at $14, so it is actually paying me 8.6% on the purchase price plus having more than doubled in value, pre the Rogers offer. There is no place I can get 8.6% on my money, let alone having the face value double in 8 years. So between the dividend and the increase in share price I have made $23 in 8 years, over and above the $14 buy, total value $37.

doublehaul
03-15-2021, 11:12 AM
So what will happen to the free Shaw mobile plans?
I have just started to change my plans to Shaw.

From Rogers!!!

Dean2
03-15-2021, 11:18 AM
So what will happen to the free Shaw mobile plans?
I have just started to change my plans to Shaw.

From Rogers!!!

Based on how the regulators usually condition these, what ever deals you have in place from Shaw will be grandfathered as long as you don't change anything.

nick0danger
03-15-2021, 11:26 AM
Stay out of the stock market, your math skills aren't strong enough to be an investor. :) Dividend is .09854 MONTHLY or $1.18 a year. A thousand shares will pay you $98.54 a month. I bought the shares at $14, so it is actually paying me 8.6% on the purchase price plus having more than doubled in value, pre the Rogers offer. There is no place I can get 8.6% on my money, let alone having the face value double in 8 years. So between the dividend and the increase in share price I have made $23 in 8 years, over and above the $14 buy, total value $37.

Ah so they do pay monthly, that said I pay someone to take care of my money. I do what I do best and pay people to do what I can't.

Dean2
03-15-2021, 11:29 AM
Ah so they do pay monthly, that said I pay someone to take care of my money. I do what I do best and pay people to do what I can't.

No problem, I had edited the post to say I was just kidding, but not in time I guess. It is an easy mistake to make, there aren't all that many that pay monthly.

nick0danger
03-15-2021, 11:51 AM
No problem, I had edited the post to say I was just kidding, but not in time I guess. It is an easy mistake to make, there aren't all that many that pay monthly.

Oh no worries!

bdub
03-15-2021, 12:21 PM
Instead of complaining about these companies, recognize they are in Oligopolies, and like utilities, regulated to ensure profitability, so take advantage and buy their shares. Pretty hard to lose money on a company that provides an set of growing essential services and has very limited competition.

Yeah, might as well own them and let the telco's and utilities pay your associated bills, or at least a chunk of it.

59whiskers
03-15-2021, 12:42 PM
Shaw was not on Alberta 1st call utility locates. It is a real pain dealing with Shaw not being in the system delaying construction work. Now that Rogers owns Shaw they need to get on board with Alberta 1st call. All the telecom stocks are reliable dividend payers too.

Rastus
03-15-2021, 02:44 PM
If you are STUCK with Rogers so be it, but you are "STUCK". You will wished anybody would come along and bail you out. So anybody with a few shares could make some strong money, but I feel sorry for the people who are "STUCK". By the same token if you had the money, you could have money in there too.

Sundancefisher
03-19-2021, 10:07 PM
https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/home

Sundancefisher
07-18-2023, 10:48 PM
Anyone else on Shaw Mobiles $25/ month unlimited data plan get correspondence stating said deal dies in 5 years?

Sounds like they are honouring the deal for a while anyways but they want us to contact them. Sounds like a sales pressure call is coming.

ak77
07-18-2023, 11:51 PM
I was one of the first original customers with Wind Mobile which later became freedom. One of the promos they had was $35 unlimited everything for life, as long as my account was in good standing. IIRC after Shaw bought them and renamed to Freedom i started getting those calls, trying to get me to switch, upselling new devices and plans. They gave up after a while and left me alone, until i myself chose to leave.
Read ToS for the deal you have. I'm sure there's something that gives them the upper hand in cancelling the contract if you choose to hold on. Either way, if you raise enough stink when they shut you down they may give you a bone that is comparable. 5 years is long term in IT and telecom.

Rdamours
07-19-2023, 12:59 AM
I’m on a T-Mobile US $3 per month plan. 30 min talk and 30 texts. Unlimited wifi calling and super cheap add ons and data. They are always trying to get me to go to the expensive plans. I like how mad it makes them when I don’t swap plans.