PDA

View Full Version : Cabin TV Outdoor Antenna Reception

simpatico
03-15-2021, 12:37 PM
We have a family cabin at Lac La Nonne and the last 3 years getting peasant vision has been a struggle. We can consistently get CBC, CityTV, and Omni but can't get Global or CTV very well.

Currently have the old style outdoor rabbit ear pointing SE towards Edmonton mounted to the Eastside of Cabin and roughly 20ft up.

Looking for suggestions on what you be the best option to get the Global and CTV without upgrading to Cable.

Do we need a booster, get it higher up, upgrade the antenna, etc.

My parents (85 and 69) just want to be able to watch Global News for my dad and Young and The Restless for my mom.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

Tony

trevoroni
03-15-2021, 01:11 PM
According to the TVFool (https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90) report it looks like you should be able to get CTV and Global with a rooftop antennae and probably a signal booster. The transmitters for both of those channels are SE of Edmonton near Looma which explains the difficulty getting those from your location.
I had the opposite problem being SE of the city and getting Omni which transmits out of Spruce Grove.
Eventually I got fed up with channels cutting out and bought a Rooftop antennae (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), Preamplifier (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003P92D9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and Signal Amplifier (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002M1EPL0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and haven't had any problems since with all the stations showing 100% signal all the time.
You might be able to get away with just the antennae, or just the amplifier though.

Another option is streaming if internet is available using the Global and CTV app but given your parents age I doubt they would like this option.

simpatico
03-15-2021, 02:13 PM
Thanks Trevor for the quick response.

My mom does facetime but that is about it. They still have a flip phone for emergency.

Thanks
Tony

Big Grey Wolf
03-15-2021, 02:31 PM
When TV first came to Alberta we used a 30 foot mast with large 6 ft v shaped TV antenna, when we were 100km from stations in Peace River and GP. All installed on top of roof.

nimrod
03-16-2021, 06:59 AM
I do have a 50 ft tower for sale, if you need to go higher.

HalfBreed
03-16-2021, 08:41 AM
CTV and Global are VHF out of Edmonton, you need to target channel 12 & 13 which is one of the long elements in a typical rural TV antenna. Tvfool.com is a valuable tool in this regard.

superuke
03-16-2021, 08:59 AM
You could try using a digital Converter Box. Converts digital broadcast to your analog TV. That is what we used in Slave Lake at a camp ground.
I have a new box for sale for $5
email superukeca@yahoo.com

Who Da Fisherman
03-16-2021, 12:32 PM
We have a family cabin at Lac La Nonne and the last 3 years getting peasant vision has been a struggle. We can consistently get CBC, CityTV, and Omni but can't get Global or CTV very well.

Currently have the old style outdoor rabbit ear pointing SE towards Edmonton mounted to the Eastside of Cabin and roughly 20ft up.

Looking for suggestions on what you be the best option to get the Global and CTV without upgrading to Cable.

Do we need a booster, get it higher up, upgrade the antenna, etc.

My parents (85 and 69) just want to be able to watch Global News for my dad and Young and The Restless for my mom.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

Tony

Does anyone in the family have Shaw or Bell satellite?
Get an old dish and receiver and bingo. I have Bell at home and the lake, my neighbor has Shaw at home and the lake.
WDF

simpatico
03-16-2021, 12:49 PM
So replace the old style rabbit ears and replace with the Satellite dish?

I have ordered a pre-amplifier to try as it seemed a reasonable cost.

Nimrod, I did see your add for the tower but I have mobility issues and would not be able to handle the install or the take down. Thank you for the offer though.

I told my mom and she is excited that we are going to give it another try for Y&R viewing! LOL!

Thanks
Tony

simpatico
03-19-2021, 10:38 AM
Bump

simpatico
04-04-2021, 03:21 PM
Installed the booster and it did help but still missing Global and CTV Edmonton.

I’m going to change the antenna to complete the upgrade. Any suggestions on which one would be the best. Antenna mast currently is 15 feet above the ground.

Cabin is at Lac La Nonne. Northwest of Edmonton.

Thanks in Advance for the help.

Thanks
Tony