PDA

View Full Version : Massive one day hike in the Grand Canyon

Jamie
03-17-2021, 09:21 AM
So my Son who is in Arizona working at a Ski resort just dove down into the Grand Canyon. It's a massive one Day hike. From the rim-River and back out again. It looks like 16.5 Miles with 4780 down and 4380 up.

No idea if he is prepared but it seems like he is. It's so hard to let go.... He is 19, a dumb ass, stubborn but thankfully the apple did fall along way from this tree. He will be fine. :-) I notice that the things I used to remind him of have now become second nature and the first questions out of his mouth. He was LISTENING!!! Who knew??

Hell of a adventure that guy is on.. I wrote "Boy" and then changed it. He is down there living/working and having a awesome time as he works towards establishing his residency in Arizona. No one down there to help and the borders are mess... I sure do miss him but am so proud of him.

He is working as a Ski instructor at Snowbowl in Flagstaff and is hopeful to find work on the Colorado river this summer or on a lake. I wish I could go see him but the world is really making that hard.

You raise them to be thoughtful, smart, independent, adventurous and then sit back and watch them leave........

KGB
03-17-2021, 10:45 AM
That makes you a very proud parent! It’s a feeling that fills your heart with pride and glory. Nothing tells you better that you achieved something in your life.
And they do listen, even when they are screaming at you saying that they know everything at the age of 14... I remember when I was trying to put some common sense into my girl’s head and I thought it goes into left ear and coming from the right one right the next second.... Almost gave up until I’ve heard her lecturing our friends girls who were younger than her about a few things in life and she was repeating my words... Now she is 28 and I can clearly see the results... As a father, she made me proud!

SLH
03-17-2021, 02:57 PM
If he's in Flagstaff he is surrounded with people that do that on a Monday. Wait til he tells you about the first ultra he enters into or the Rim to Rim to Rim he has planned. Great outdoor community their.

Jamie
03-17-2021, 04:00 PM
If he's in Flagstaff he is surrounded with people that do that on a Monday. Wait til he tells you about the first ultra he enters into or the Rim to Rim to Rim he has planned. Great outdoor community their.

I couldn't imagine a trek like that.. Its so hard to get a grasp on the size of what that place is. I found it amazing.. I read stories off people taking 2-4 days to do this stuff and to hear people want to do it in time to be back for dinner is hard to grasp.

Such a cool place

Grizzly Adams
03-17-2021, 04:51 PM
I couldn't imagine a trek like that.. Its so hard to get a grasp on the size of what that place is. I found it amazing.. I read stories off people taking 2-4 days to do this stuff and to hear people want to do it in time to be back for dinner is hard to grasp.

Such a cool place

Probably a good time to do it, it's not really warm yet. I was hoping to be there, nothing like spring in the dessert.

Grizz

hayseed
03-17-2021, 04:58 PM
That's awesome Jamie, I remember the old threads of a much younger Willy playing goal, football, etc.

Good to hear...!! He had a heck of a good teacher!!
You should be proud there Dad!!!

EZM
03-17-2021, 05:35 PM
That will be a cool experience for him. Back 25+ years ago we went in on the north rim, crossed, camped and played around for a day or two, then up the other side and out. Was awesome. Snow on the ground and below freezing at the top and burning hot at the bottom for 2 days. We were young and on shape but it's not too bad at his age.

Awesome !!!!!

Jamie
03-17-2021, 07:10 PM
Surprise call late this afternoon. 3:30 PM our time 7.5 hours to do 32 KM. WOW.. I figured dinner time 6 or 7.. He was still in one piece and headed for a shower and then out for dinner. No issues and had a ball he said.

Hayseed.. Yes.. he has been a constant source of entertainment for me.. 100% lost now that he is gone. :-( But a new life will be forged. :-)

Everyone is scattered.. My Dad is in Mexico, my Daughter on the island and my Son in AZ.. How did I get stuck here in Calgary?? :-)