PDA

View Full Version : Interesting morning on CVR!

archerynut
03-17-2021, 02:09 PM
Was out this morning in time to watch the sunrise on Crawling Valley. Nibbles started happening almost right away so between 7:30 and noon I iced 4 pike, lost two at the hole and had lots of bites. All the fish were around 28". Towards the end of my time I had a nibble on my rod that was about 30 feet away. I hightailed it over there only to watch my favorite rod and reel dissapear down the hole. Even had the rod resting on/behind my still-in-the-bag shelter. Thought it would be ok, guess not. Went in up to my shoulder to try grab the rod but it was gone.

So. If anyone hooks a fish with rod in tow, I would like my gear back 🤣🤣
No but seriously it's a heavy action south bend ice rod with a quantum PTI20 attached.🤣

TROLLER
03-17-2021, 02:22 PM
Question? Did not the season close on Monday March 15?

pinelakeperch
03-17-2021, 03:31 PM
Was out this morning in time to watch the sunrise on Crawling Valley. Nibbles started happening almost right away so between 7:30 and noon I iced 4 pike, lost two at the hole and had lots of bites. All the fish were around 28". Towards the end of my time I had a nibble on my rod that was about 30 feet away. I hightailed it over there only to watch my favorite rod and reel dissapear down the hole. Even had the rod resting on/behind my still-in-the-bag shelter. Thought it would be ok, guess not. Went in up to my shoulder to try grab the rod but it was gone.

No but seriously it's a heavy action south bend ice rod with a quantum PTI20 attached.🤣

You must've been surprised at the lack of fishermen on the lake :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Make sure you're checking the regulations prior to heading out.

archerynut
03-17-2021, 03:56 PM
Question? Did not the season close on Monday March 15?

It appears you are correct and I have committed a great error. I neglected to check my regulations and I feel like a real fool right now. If mods want to take this thread down I understand. Guess loosing my rod down the hole was karma for being an idiot. I apologize to the board and I hope folks dont think less of me. I will check my regs the next time I want to head out.

pikeman06
03-17-2021, 06:28 PM
Bahaha picked a good place to advertise for the missing rod!!! There will be a knock on yer door shortly im thinking.

Who Da Fisherman
03-17-2021, 09:21 PM
What fishing? No rod no evidence!
😂😂😂😂
WDF

trouty
03-17-2021, 09:59 PM

That happened to me at the same lake twice in one day. Drilled a circle of holes and pulled it up using a big spoon. 2nd time I grabbed the butt 3’ below the ice and yanked up a pike. Loosen the drag if you’re not paying attention. Makes for good stories.

LJalberta
03-18-2021, 12:11 AM
I also lost a rod this year. I suspect a decent sized fish or a real feisty one. Pulled the rod holder down as well. Luckily I was able to save the rod holder, but the rod had been pulled out at that point.

I saw the hit happen and I was about 20’ away and couldn’t make it in time. Makes for a good story though.

Fisherdan
03-18-2021, 12:48 AM
It appears you are correct and I have committed a great error. I neglected to check my regulations and I feel like a real fool right now. If mods want to take this thread down I understand. Guess loosing my rod down the hole was karma for being an idiot. I apologize to the board and I hope folks dont think less of me. I will check my regs the next time I want to head out.

This thread gave me a bit of a chuckle. You are human. Not the worst mistake that a person will make in their life.

On the topic of lost rods:
When I was a kid, I was fishing on a dock that had a couple of smaller arms extending from the main section of the dock... like a capital letter “F”. I was fishing from the end of one of those extensions, when a poorly executed cast found my lure hooked on the opposing arm. I set my rod down, ran around the dock and unhooked my lure from the wooden board it was stuck to, and tossed it back in the water. What I didn’t realize was that after I had set my rod down, and began running, a boat slowly passed by, caught my line (which was strung across the two sections of the pier) and dragged my rod into the water! If I had been clever enough to notice that, I could have simply retrieved my rod with my lure that was still hooked on a wooden board. Of course, that’s not what happened. That rod was gone!

Luckily, I did get it back the next day, when some other little kid dragged it out from the bottom, lol!

graybeard
03-18-2021, 08:21 AM
I also lost a rod this year. I suspect a decent sized fish or a real feisty one. Pulled the rod holder down as well. Luckily I was able to save the rod holder, but the rod had been pulled out at that point.

It is solely for this reason that on my 5 gallon pail / rod holder, that I have a 5' lanyard from the handle of the pail to a split ring that is zip tied to my rod handle. A small carabiner holds it all together.

I feel what happened to you, as it is a sinking feeling when you witness this and are unable to stop it.

I lost one rod/reel and didn't want to lose another. I recently had a fish pull my rod into the hole, however the pail tethering prevented losing another rod/reel again... :)

BTW LJalberta, I hope you recover your set-up....

Penner
03-18-2021, 09:06 AM
Mistakes happen but everyone has to ensure they read and understand the regs particularly in this day and age as there are many and changes occur every year. Being negligent is not an excuse. If in doubt one can always call your local SRD office for clarity.

I'll give you a thumbs up for admitting your mistake, you appear genuine in your remorse. A valuable lessoned learned hopefully.

Karma is a biatch. Would appear you are even now.

pinelakeperch
03-19-2021, 02:19 PM

It happens. I learned my lesson fishing that lake after sunset :scared0018: