PDA

View Full Version : Best trolling motor battery

tool
03-18-2021, 10:18 AM
Directing my dad on getting a new battery for a trolling motor.

It’s a 30 something pound thrust motor I think and will be pushing a 14’ tinner

What’s the best place to get one and a fair price to pay?

How many hours use would a guy get out of a setup like that at trolling speeds?

Sooner
03-18-2021, 10:36 AM
Directing my dad on getting a new battery for a trolling motor.

It’s a 30 something pound thrust motor I think and will be pushing a 14’ tinner

What’s the best place to get one and a fair price to pay?

How many hours use would a guy get out of a setup like that at trolling speeds?

Perfect timing for this thread, I picked up a 50lb Minkota late last summer for the alum flat back canoe. I need to buy a good battery as well. Watching with interest.

owlhoot
03-18-2021, 10:42 AM
Most people recommend Costco batteries which may be made by Interstate, good price and warranty

EZM
03-18-2021, 11:25 AM
I agree with interstate batteries - for the price/value they can't be beat. There are "bigger, better, lighter, more Ahs, more shock proof, choices out there, but it comes at a cost that simply isn't worth it when you can buy 2 interstates (that will result in longer run times) for the price of one premium AGM deep cycle.

As far as your question on how long it will last. The output load how high you have to crank it up (speed), your hull displacement (how hard it is to push through the water,) the amount the wind and waves fight you to maintain your line/speed, etc all play a factor.

On a windy day in that set up, if you have it cranked and fighting, you may only get 3 hours off it, on a calm day, if you are slow trolling and stopping occasionally, you may have half your battery life left at the end of the day.

Short answer is, on average, 3-14 hours - and I realize that's a HUGE gap - but that's the reality here. Lots of things to consider. I had 2 interstates (one connected and one spare) in my 14' SSV set up and was never out of juice. Always pulled the one out when I came inshore and back to camp and swapped it out with the full (or the one on the charger).

On windy days and when I knew I'd be out for a while, I brought them both down to the boat so I had a swap out spare.

I have had all sorts of boats, set ups, and 20+ years to come to that conclusion.

tool
03-18-2021, 11:31 AM
The Costco app doesn’t seem to show individual batteries to purchase but looking at the warranties you might actually be better off buying regular lead acid starting batteries, cheaper and way better warranty.

🤷🏻*♂️

EZM
03-18-2021, 12:11 PM
The Costco app doesn’t seem to show individual batteries to purchase but looking at the warranties you might actually be better off buying regular lead acid starting batteries, cheaper and way better warranty.

🤷🏻*♂️

The problem with regular starter cranking batteries is they don't do well over time when they are discharged repeatedly all the way down to near zero and charged back up. After a short time, they develop issues and you loose performance rapidly.

The deep cycle batteries are a must have in my opinion as they are designed to be discharged all the way down and charged back up repeatedly.

I'm not a battery expert, but that's my understanding of it.

These batteries are two different designs, performance characteristics, longevity/life per application and other trade offs.

Also, the interstates are heavy core lead acid type - that what makes them perfect - reasonably cheap for a good deep cycle but heavy enough to hold charge and to receive one repeatedly.

bat119
03-18-2021, 12:11 PM
The best battery's are lithium if and when they become affordable

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/140701

I've has good luck with the interstates

fishtank
03-18-2021, 01:42 PM
costco kirkland deep cycle battery i think it around $100 , 5 year warranty

EZM
03-18-2021, 01:50 PM
The best battery's are lithium if and when they become affordable

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/140701

I've has good luck with the interstates

If I was sugar daddy pimp rich .......... at $1300 each .......... I'd buy 2!!!!

for now - it's interstates for me. Twice as heavy, 25% the capacity and 10% of the cost !!!!

SamSteele
03-18-2021, 01:56 PM
I use the Costco Kirkland one on my son's 12' Lund with a 30 lb thrust Endura and it will move me around trout ponds for pretty well the full day with two of us in the boat. We are on smaller bodies of water though, so not a lot of wind and waves to combat.

I also use the Kirkland batteries in my boat lift and they have done well for me there. They are heavy, but I got a MinnKota battery box with the external terminals and a battery meter on it to make them easier to move around and charge up. It also adds a 12v cigarette charge port.

SS

BobM
03-18-2021, 02:03 PM
I’d stay away from Canadian Tire Moto Master Battery’s I’ve had no luck with them seem to fail right after the warranty ends. Trying Force now as their deep cycle in my camper lasted 4 years.

EZM
03-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Ironically - seems everyone on here is recommending Interstate or Kirkland (Costco) batteries ......... guess what I just read .......

The Costco - Kirkland brand deep cycle batteries are usually Interstate which is owned by Johnson controls.

thumper
03-18-2021, 03:19 PM
I've been looking for a trolling motor lithium battery - but can't find any of the Dakota's that Cabelas lists as 'out of stock'. Any ideas where they're available - or a similar brad of lithiums?
I know they're expensive, but it's their relatively light weight that I find most attractive.

bat119
03-18-2021, 04:32 PM
I've been looking for a trolling motor lithium battery - but can't find any of the Dakota's that Cabelas lists as 'out of stock'. Any ideas where they're available - or a similar brad of lithiums?
I know they're expensive, but it's their relatively light weight that I find most attractive.

Try their website or Facebook for a Canadian source, they would be the best option for a trolling motor,

oilngas
03-18-2021, 05:03 PM
EMZ has it right, just buy the Costco deep cycle 12 v and look after it or them.

tallieho
03-18-2021, 05:37 PM
I had a 12 volt green interstate deep cycle for 8 years.Used it on a 10' wide Spratley,always recharged after using it.Check the fluids etc.$ 110.00 at auto value .55 LB Thrust Traxxis Minn Kota

Mr Flyguy
03-18-2021, 05:48 PM
This year will be the 8th year of use for a Nautilus Ultra AGM deep cycle. Lasts all day for a mix of trolling and motoring to anchor locations with a 14 ft canoe.

About double the cost of a lead-acid battery and a bit heavier, but considering 50 to 70 outings per year seems to be good!

I carry the charger in the truck so I can charge up on the trip back home and the trip back to the lake.

tool
03-18-2021, 06:47 PM
I know there are some small advantages to deep cycle vs regular starting batteries but this makes me wonder if those slight performance advantages are worth it.

Regular battery is cheaper upfront and has a 48 month replacement warranty from Costco and they will even refund you 25% of purchase price up to 100 months (that’s kind of mind blowing really)

Marine battery from Costco only has. 12 month replacement warranty.

For the few fishing trips this thing would see in a year it might be better to go with the largest capacity starting battery? 🤷🏻*♂️ I’m just speculating.

(I know it works because I have a friend that uses the battery out of his tractor for his trolling motor without issue)

It’d be great to test them side by side and see what the performance difference really was.

I might have to email Project Farm. 🤣🤣

thumper
03-18-2021, 07:35 PM
Try their website or Facebook for a Canadian source, they would be the best option for a trolling motor,

Tried their website and spoke with a rep - said they only deal with Cabelas in Canada. Spoke with Cabelas.ca, and they only have one in stock at their Winnipeg store - and would not ship to Alberta.

I'm hoping there's other, similar lithium batteries available here in S Alberta.

204ruger
03-18-2021, 08:05 PM
Johnson controls or exide manufacture most every battery brand out there.

bat119
03-19-2021, 06:44 AM
Tried their website and spoke with a rep - said they only deal with Cabelas in Canada. Spoke with Cabelas.ca, and they only have one in stock at their Winnipeg store - and would not ship to Alberta.

I'm hoping there's other, similar lithium batteries available here in S Alberta.

Nothing in AB yet on the Dakota website they list four dealers in Canada

https://dakotalithium.com/find-a-dealer-store-locator/

Lone Butte in BC showing one in stock

204ruger
03-19-2021, 07:32 AM
CANBAT is another company for lithium batteries online. Canadian energy stocks lithium as well. Not sure about trolling size in stock but they have atv stuff so worth a phone call.

Dark Wing
03-19-2021, 04:43 PM
Has anyone purchased lithium batteries from ablithium.ca . There 12 v 100ah deep cycle batteries are cheaper than the Dakota 54 ah ones.

marky_mark
03-19-2021, 04:50 PM
Nothing in AB yet on the Dakota website they list four dealers in Canada

https://dakotalithium.com/find-a-dealer-store-locator/

Lone Butte in BC showing one in stock

These are supposed to be fabulous

Red Bullets
03-19-2021, 05:16 PM
Aside from a new battery maybe someone could impart some wisdom on a little gadget called a rheostat.
My FIL had a very simple dial rheostat mounted on his boat and he would hook it up inline to one of the battery wires running to the electric trolling motor. He could turn down the juice, voltage?, from the battery and get 3 or 4 extra hours out of a deep cycle battery. He could turn up the rheostat if he needed full power. I don't really know much about rheostats but they might be a good cheap investment. The FIL's set up worked great. We'd take 2 batteries in the boat and be good for a full day. Can anyone elaborate better on an inline rheostat for a trolling motor?

Dark Wing
03-19-2021, 05:38 PM
Aside from a new battery maybe someone could impart some wisdom on a little gadget called a rheostat.
My FIL had a very simple dial rheostat mounted on his boat and he would hook it up inline to one of the battery wires running to the electric trolling motor. He could turn down the juice, voltage?, from the battery and get 3 or 4 extra hours out of a deep cycle battery. He could turn up the rheostat if he needed full power. I don't really know much about rheostats but they might be a good cheap investment. The FIL's set up worked great. We'd take 2 batteries in the boat and be good for a full day. Can anyone elaborate better on an inline rheostat for a trolling motor?
It’s basically a dimmer switch , you only draw the amount of power you need . The better trolling motors have them built in but the cheaper ones don’t and they will drain your battery faster. I ordered the parts off of Amazon and will attempt to build my own PWM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJSEc_SS2Vk

Red Bullets
03-19-2021, 06:27 PM
It’s basically a dimmer switch , you only draw the amount of power you need . The better trolling motors have them built in but the cheaper ones don’t and they will drain your battery faster. I ordered the parts off of Amazon and will attempt to build my own PWM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJSEc_SS2Vk

That looks alot more elaborate than what we used. Very nice. Definitely coolest.

ghfalls
03-20-2021, 08:50 AM
Off-the-grid-solar.com has a bunch of lithium battery options. Might be worth looking into. Most of their prices seem pretty decent.

QUOTE=thumper;4349069]I've been looking for a trolling motor lithium battery - but can't find any of the Dakota's that Cabelas lists as 'out of stock'. Any ideas where they're available - or a similar brad of lithiums?
I know they're expensive, but it's their relatively light weight that I find most attractive.[/QUOTE]

jednastka
03-20-2021, 05:35 PM
One consideration would be whether tipping the deep cycle battery is possible (thinking canoes). My preference is for a Gel battery on that basis. Also do not forget the charging system!

The best battery for an electric motor is a charged one!!

Vic

RandyBoBandy
03-20-2021, 06:20 PM
Ironically - seems everyone on here is recommending Interstate or Kirkland (Costco) batteries ......... guess what I just read .......

The Costco - Kirkland brand deep cycle batteries are usually Interstate which is owned by Johnson controls.
Interstate Batteries, is a US privately owned battery marketing and distribution company.

Interstate Batteries, manufactured by Johnson Controls, are the #1 automotive replacement batteries in America with 15 million batteries sold every year
As EZM points out Kirkland is there as well :)

lakebesnard
03-21-2021, 08:01 AM
I have three batteries from https://www.ablithium.ca/ .... one each in quad and snowmobile ... they worked great this winter. Just picked one up for my cabin. They're new on the block ... knowledgeable and very competitive pricing.

lakebesnard
03-21-2021, 08:03 AM
Has anyone purchased lithium batteries from ablithium.ca . There 12 v 100ah deep cycle batteries are cheaper than the Dakota 54 ah ones.

Indeed I have ... great prices and knowledge ... I have three of their batteries now... and they're getting in some trolling motor batteries that are waterproof for those days pounding the waves in the rain when everything gets wet.

Freedom55
03-21-2021, 08:15 AM
Of the 4 batteries I use (includes one in my trailer) all of them are Canada Plus. All get used and charged many times per year and they've been trouble free. The old starter battery in my boat was a Napa Marine Starting battery that never went below 11 volts that still provides back-up power in my camper after 11 years service firing up the Mercury. Can't find that Napa in my travels but if I do...

Free

Homesteader
03-21-2021, 02:41 PM
I have three batteries from https://www.ablithium.ca/ .... one each in quad and snowmobile ... they worked great this winter. Just picked one up for my cabin. They're new on the block ... knowledgeable and very competitive pricing.

I wanted to buy one for my sled, but everything I read said they were poor in temps below -15 or so. I bought an AGM, but maybe I should have gone lithium. I do know its a pig of a motor to turn over so I thought the lithium might give me trouble at cold temps.

tool
03-21-2021, 04:56 PM
Awesome.

Anybody know what a trolling motor sized battery runs as far as cost and how much run time you’d get for that? Can it be charged with just a regular 12V automotive type battery charger?

thumper
03-21-2021, 06:46 PM
Awesome.

Anybody know what a trolling motor sized battery runs as far as cost and how much run time you’d get for that? Can it be charged with just a regular 12V automotive type battery charger?

Are you asking about lithium batteries ?

tool
03-21-2021, 09:14 PM
Yep

thumper
03-21-2021, 09:38 PM
Yep

It depends on a lot of factors - speed, size of trolling motor, weight you're pushing, shape of boat, wind.

On my Hobie kayak, almost 400lbs lbs of boat, battery, motor, gear & me, with a 40 MinnKota trolling motor:

If you're looking to slow troll my rig around, up to about 10 hours, you'll need a battery about 50+ ah., so lithium will be about $500 - $600.

If I'm looking to cruise down the lake at top speed with a 50 ah battery - maybe 3 hours.

That's been my experience - using a 55 ah lead/acid battery. I'd expect a little better run time with lithium.

I've damaged my current lead/acid by running it right down until the prop stopped turning a couple of times, and after many, many charges, it doesn't hold the juice it used to. So it's time for a new one - why not upgrade?

To me, the biggest advantage of switching to lithium is weight. I often have to wheel my kayak (on a cart) a fair distance to the water, and then moving a lead acid battery around off the cart is hard on the joints of this older fella!

Sorry - I don't know if I can use my current MotoMaster charger on a lithium.

tool
03-21-2021, 11:42 PM
Yes I can definitely see how the lithium would be a great advantage when you are kayak fishing.

Would love to see how many hours vs dollars you get out of a battery though.

Also curious what you need to charge the lithium batteries and what charge time would be compared to old fashioned lead acid batteries.

does it ALL outdoors
03-22-2021, 04:21 AM
EMZ has it right, just buy the Costco deep cycle 12 v and look after it or them.

X2. Can't beat a Deep Cycle.

They usually aren't a lot more than a traditional Lead/Acid Battery and are superior in every way.

tool
03-22-2021, 10:01 AM
X2. Can't beat a Deep Cycle.

They usually aren't a lot more than a traditional Lead/Acid Battery and are superior in every way.

Which ways are they superior?

Have you directly compared them to anything else?

Big Grey Wolf
03-23-2021, 09:56 AM
I suggest a Cat battery, had a couple in my D-7 cat. Pick one up from any battery shop for better price in Edmonton. If they will not last All day nothing will. PS like the suggestion of a rheostat as well.

Big Sky
03-23-2021, 01:03 PM
Also curious what you need to charge the lithium batteries

Lithium batteries should not be charged with a standard charger.

All 12 volt Dakota Lithium batteries should be charged using a LiFePO4 compatible charger like this one. SLA chargers will reduce the performance and lifespan of the battery.

https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-12v-10a-amp-lifepo4-battery-charger/

I'm looking at replacing my boat's batteries this year. Li ion would be nice but are they ever pricey. If I was hauling the batteries around I would go with lithium, but since they will just be sitting in the boat I am sticking with lead acid.

Will probably go with Deka.

thumper
03-23-2021, 03:59 PM
I spoke with Alberta Lithium this morning, and asked if I could use my old Canadian Tire MotoMaster charger on lithiums. I was told that as long as the chargers were for AGM or GEL cell batteries, I was good to go. However, I should not use a 'Wet cell' charger.

The Elkster
03-11-2022, 01:29 PM
Lots of people moving to Lithium now that prices have come down. 10X rated battery cycles, can provide a bigger draw, can take a faster charge and you get more useable power out of a similar rated battery. My 100ah gel cell is 75lbs...my new 100ah lithium is 25lb! Game changer for getting in and out of my inflatable. Battery prices coming down as well. Look at stuff other than top of the line units.

Search "Will Prowse" on youtube. He has some excellent Li battery info and teardowns of high and low end units.

thumper
03-11-2022, 02:15 PM
Cabelas just had their Dakota 54 ah lithiums on sale for about $150 off. Coupled with a $70 gift certificate I had, it brought their price down to $500, - so I couldn't resist!!!
Now I've got a 50ah Canbat lithium, and a 54 ah Dakota lithium, and a 10 ah Canbat lithium for my sonar. I should be good for a few days fishing between recharging!

fishtank
03-11-2022, 03:11 PM

Can’t beat Costco price and no hassle warranty , we run a Kirkland deepcyle battery with a 1/2hp trolling motor 14ft aluminum . Can get 3+ hour on it .

barbless
03-14-2022, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys for the info. I'm really considering changing out my two deep cycles for my boat. The Kirkland Costco seem to be a good option. I always put 10$ a month away for batteries just because of S$!t happens to batteries. Got 2 6v in motorhome and the 12v starting engine one. Got starting battery for big engine in boat and two 12v deep cycles for electronics, one for my truck, one for my car, and one for my lady's car. If one craps out the money is there. I also keep one 12v extra on charge. Boat and motorhome batteries are pulled and maintained.

newdrenalin
08-09-2022, 02:52 PM
Refreshing an old post. I'm in the market for a a new trolling motor battery and will probably go with the Kirkland Group 27. I noticed there warranty is **** though. 1 year 100% 2nd year 40% and downhill fast after that.

Mr Flyguy
08-09-2022, 04:54 PM
I posted earlier about how I liked the Nautilus AGM deep cycle for my canoe but since it was into its 8th year and getting "heavier" to carry around every year I splurged on the Dakota lithium 54Ah at Cabela's when they were on "sale". The difference in weight was worth the extra cost.

Caveat: If you have a MinnKota trolling motor with the charge remaining indication lights they will show "full charge" until there is no "juice" left in the battery. I guess that's the nature of lithium ion batteries? I found out the hard way while way across the other side of a lake!

newdrenalin
08-09-2022, 05:17 PM
I posted earlier about how I liked the Nautilus AGM deep cycle for my canoe but since it was into its 8th year and getting "heavier" to carry around every year I splurged on the Dakota lithium 54Ah at Cabela's when they were on "sale". The difference in weight was worth the extra cost.

Caveat: If you have a MinnKota trolling motor with the charge remaining indication lights they will show "full charge" until there is no "juice" left in the battery. I guess that's the nature of lithium ion batteries? I found out the hard way while way across the other side of a lake!

Unfortunately i can't justify a lithium at the moment

35 whelen
08-09-2022, 06:13 PM
X2 on the lithium batteries

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

curtz
08-09-2022, 06:20 PM
I bought a new battery for my trolling motor last year, my mercury one lasted 9 years. I bought a natulis from canadain tire, pretty happy with it this year.

EZM
08-09-2022, 07:37 PM
Old thread but a REAL LIFE review.

I purchased my boat in 2013 brand new (Lund TYEE) and it came with interstate deep cycle batteries for my minnkota.

The batteries stay in my boat, in an unheated garage every winter (9 winters now) but they are plugged into my boats on board charger (minnkota as well).

I can't even begin to guess how many charging cycles they have been through.

They are still running strong with zero issues. I am very pleased with them.

When and IF I buy batteries for the trolling motor - I'm buying interstate lead acids. I see absolutely no compelling reason to spend 5 times as much on a batteries that needs a special charger (to add more cost) to switch over.

Coiloil37
08-09-2022, 08:10 PM
It’s to bad you guys get charged so much for lithium batteries. It seems North America gets ripped off in that regard and I doubt they’re even produced domestically.

I put a new 140 amp hour deep cycle agm in the boat as a house battery a year ago for $250 and truth be told it’s great. When I’m bottom fishing and not charging with the outboard the solar panel is pumping 15-16 amp hours back into the house battery and stays ahead of the fridge, the freezer and the electronics. It was half the price of a new 140 amp hour lithium at the time and the only reason I bought agm was because the lithium isn’t rated to start an outboard.
I see the lithiums are rated to 200 amps for 5 seconds but even wired in parallel for cranking and disconnected from each other after the motor is running, I can’t get the manufacturer to tell me it’ll work properly.

You don’t need a new charger. Your old school charger will charge a lithium to about 97% charge and they don’t “have” to be topped off to 100% charge.

The biggest reason I want lithium is weight. My two batteries weigh ~160+ lbs and a pair of 140 amp hour lithium’s would be 66 lbs total.

As with everything the prices keep climbing, I looked today and a new 135 amp hour, domestically built lithium is $659 (up over a hundred $ from last year) and to add Bluetooth bms adds $80 to the tab. I again emailed the manufacturer and they still don’t rate them to start an outboard so I’ll continue to wait for the technology to mature. When they’re rated to start outboards I’m putting a set in and trimming some weight.

Johnny G1
08-09-2022, 10:19 PM
Coiloil37, Just a question on how big is your solar panel that is putting out 15-16 amps hrs???

Coiloil37
08-09-2022, 11:27 PM
Coiloil37, Just a question on how big is your solar panel that is putting out 15-16 amps hrs???

It’s 200 watts. With the mppt controller, power analyser and 6m extension cord it cost me just shy of $200.
I throw it on top of the bimini when I need to charge the battery in the boat.

Physical size, you can compare it to something you know the size of.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220810/0b699e0ce9dd0e1149b7d7430197ff0b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220810/528d12c700a69b73cd5cba49a0cb85a6.jpg

The next boat will have a hardtop and I’ll mount some solar up there similar to what’s on my house.

graybeard
08-10-2022, 07:56 AM
Most people recommend Costco batteries which may be made by Interstate, good price and warranty

If I need a battery for vehicle, boat or lawn equipment....Costco all the way for me plus, they have a great warranty.....

IMHO

Fish along
08-10-2022, 10:04 AM
Ive run trolling motors for years and the absolute best are the Optima Blue deep cycle batteries.They will run good for years,id buy no other,my 2 cents.:)

Johnny G1
08-10-2022, 12:07 PM
It’s 200 watts. With the mppt controller, power analyser and 6m extension cord it cost me just shy of $200.
I throw it on top of the bimini when I need to charge the battery in the boat.

Physical size, you can compare it to something you know the size of.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220810/0b699e0ce9dd0e1149b7d7430197ff0b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220810/528d12c700a69b73cd5cba49a0cb85a6.jpg

The next boat will have a hardtop and I’ll mount some solar up there similar to what’s on my house. Nice setup.

Supermag
08-10-2022, 01:00 PM
Ive run trolling motors for years and the absolute best are the Optima Blue deep cycle batteries.They will run good for years,id buy no other,my 2 cents.:)

I've had one since I bought it at a Johnson Controls Employee discount in 2007. It STILL works. Awesome batteries. I'm sure I will have to pay more than $75 to replace it now though. :scared0015:

EZM
08-10-2022, 01:35 PM
Optima's are great batteries and produced by same company as interstate - they are a AGM vs. the lead acids on the interstates.

In my case, for my boat, it's not worth it to go to a optima (27) - although they have outstanding reviews as well.

The interstates are half the cost, together on a 24v system run 50% longer (reserve capacity both group 27 vs group 27 size) - and the ONLY negative is and added 44lbs in total on the boat (22lbs per battery). I'm already 2500lbs loaded on the boat and 40lbs doesn't account for any appreciable performance issues for my boat.

If I had a tinner with a tiller - maybe it would be worth it.

Gretz5582
08-10-2022, 09:03 PM
i have alberta lithiums in all my outdoor stuff.
12v 10ah in my finders and camera and 12v 100ah for my minkota.
best prices by far in alberta and great customer service
Keep in mind you will have to get a charger that is lithium compatible