PDA

View Full Version : Should Canada cut off trade with China ?

Bigrib
03-19-2021, 03:59 PM
China has been holding 2 Canadian men in jail on fake charges for a couple years now in retaliation for Canada arresting Meng , on behalf of the USA , she has been staying in her mansion in Vancouver .

China we are told doesn't observe human rights like the West . Invaded Tibet , forcibly sterilizing Uighur women and in the process of destroying their culture. Also China and USA are playing a dangerous game over Taiwan that could get out of control . Chinese scientists connected to the Wuhan virus lab were kicked out of Canada after what sounded like stealing virus that could be weaponized, wtf were they doing in our virus research lab in the first place ?

To me China is the closest thing to Canada's enemy.

For all those reasons and more should Canada be supplying China with raw materials to keep their regime and war machine going ? What about cutting off trade entirely ?

Trudeau with his moral high ground stance is like a fart in the wind but let's see if he starts cutting trade with China . Would any other political party in Canada do the right thing ?

I'd like to see Canada putting people back to work to benefit Canadians , let's rebuild our own manufacturing industry to make furniture , clothing and shoes like we used to - example can't buy a pair of shoes anymore that are made in Canada.

curtz
03-19-2021, 04:15 PM
Trudeau won't because he loves China, they play him like a puppet. I would love to see more manufacturers in Canada, I believe thats what Trump was trying to do in the US, more of there own manufacturers and less reliant on China.

bobtodrick
03-19-2021, 04:17 PM
China has been holding 2 Canadian men in jail on fake charges for a couple years now in retaliation for Canada arresting Meng , on behalf of the USA , she has been staying in her mansion in Vancouver .

China we are told doesn't observe human rights like the West . Invaded Tibet , forcibly sterilizing Uighur women and in the process of destroying their culture. Also China and USA are playing a dangerous game over Taiwan that could get out of control . Chinese scientists connected to the Wuhan virus lab were kicked out of Canada after what sounded like stealing virus that could be weaponized, wtf were they doing in our virus research lab in the first place ?

To me China is the closest thing to Canada's enemy.

For all those reasons and more should Canada be supplying China with raw materials to keep their regime and war machine going ? What about cutting off trade entirely ?

Trudeau with his moral high ground stance is like a fart in the wind but let's see if he starts cutting trade with China . Would any other political party in Canada do the right thing ?

I'd like to see Canada putting people back to work to benefit Canadians , let's rebuild our own manufacturing industry to make furniture , clothing and shoes like we used to - example can't buy a pair of shoes anymore that are made in Canada.

Nice idea, but pretty much impossible.
It took 50 years of slowly (or not so slowly) killing off our manufacturing capability.
It would take the same amount of time to build it up.
I would definitely like to see us start outsourcing less...but doing it short term because we don't like China would kill what is left of our economy.

Bergerboy
03-19-2021, 04:18 PM
That would be great to cut off trade with China but if you have a look around your house, you will soon find out life will be pretty barren.

Puma
03-19-2021, 04:19 PM
Yes, yes & yes.

When I shop, if I have a choice its not made in China. That's not easy.

Husty
03-19-2021, 04:24 PM
This is about likely to happen as Keystone being finished :snapoutofit:

Just remember people, its boomers who sold us to china for cheep socks and T-Shrits.

lmtada
03-19-2021, 04:25 PM
No. Canada exports $18 Billion imports $53 Billion with China. Canada has Trillion dollar economy. May not agree to the politics, however both countries benefit from trade.

https://www.ualberta.ca/china-institute/research/analysis-briefs/q3.html

Scott N
03-19-2021, 04:27 PM
Although it's just about impossible, I try to avoid buying anything made in China if I can. I'd rather pay more for something made in Canada or the USA than save some money buying something Chinese.

saskbooknut
03-19-2021, 04:30 PM
Separation from trade with China cannot be done without huge pain for all of Canada.
In fact, I will say it can't be done alone. We would need to have allies, particularly the US. The US struggles with the economic impact of less trade with China themselves.
China is taking a threatening stance on a number of fronts.
On the issue of rebuilding Canadian manufacturing. Nobody in Canada is willing to pay the price.
When Canada had protected industry, we also had stagnant economic growth.
We have never been wealthier as a country, than the period of growth since free trade.
Yes, there is a cost to our prosperity, and many lost ground personally, while the economy grew.
The Liberal government spending has introduced a staggering debt, that will take a generation to overcome.
The cost of a disengagement from China's economy, on top of our massive debt, would be catastrophic.
We should reduce our dependence on China, but it will take a long time, and I doubt the political appetite for the costs.

sns2
03-19-2021, 04:30 PM
effectively impossible

Trochu
03-19-2021, 04:37 PM
I like the idea, don't know if it can be done.

China isn't the only big country with a labor force though. India, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, etc.

gordfishing
03-19-2021, 04:42 PM
- Huawei Phones

Any thing to do with - Huawei - should be banned cut off done with
end of discussion

Why did we let them in the country to begin with

Mr Flyguy
03-19-2021, 04:51 PM
Good idea, cut off trade and put Walmart, etc., out of business!

saskbooknut
03-19-2021, 05:27 PM
Walmart, Canadian Tire, Peavey Mart, Princess Auto - the list of businesses dependent on cheap Chinese junk is long.
Canada is addicted to cheap stuff.

Grizzly Adams
03-19-2021, 05:56 PM
Nice idea, but pretty much impossible.
It took 50 years of slowly (or not so slowly) killing off our manufacturing capability.
It would take the same amount of time to build it up.
I would definitely like to see us start outsourcing less...but doing it short term because we don't like China would kill what is left of our economy.

Without cheap Chinese products, most of us would have a significantly lower standard of living. Not many people would be willing to tolerate that.

Grizz

4extreme
03-19-2021, 06:02 PM
Although it's just about impossible, I try to avoid buying anything made in China if I can. I'd rather pay more for something made in Canada or the USA than save some money buying something Chinese.I`m trying this too, but it`s very hard to find something not made in china. When I go to a store and see made in china, I think I may as well order it on line and save myself some money.

wwbirds
03-19-2021, 06:11 PM
pull out our embasy, kick out their diplomats would be a great start. Not realistic to ban all chinese imports and exports but we could follow usa lead and impose tariffs and sanctions. china believes they are in charge and dealing with a clown in Ottawa some one has to show some pride and play hardball. They do it all the time. p.s. why is the hauwei exec on house arrest in one of her palaces in Vancouver while 2 of our citizens languish in a prison with unlikely any conveniences. Canadian diplomats were not even allowed to attend the trial today. stop playing nice and kick the bully square in the knackers.

1hogfarmer
03-19-2021, 06:42 PM
Yup

TrollGRG
03-19-2021, 06:52 PM
It will never happen. China owns most of Canada right now. They let us play in the sand box as long as we play nice. If we ever stood up they would sit us down right quick.

That is not just cynicism. Take inventory of the ownership of leading companies.

cowmanbob
03-19-2021, 07:02 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, diplomacy is the only answer.

Puma
03-19-2021, 07:14 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, diplomacy is the only answer.

You cant have diplomacy with a bully. Canada needs to show strength.

A good example are the US/China talks going on now in Alaska.

WV911
03-19-2021, 07:23 PM
Where do you think that computer you are typing on came from?

EZM
03-19-2021, 07:29 PM
Simply Impossible.

Although many people think of consumer goods here - China produces steel products from OCTG (pipe, casing and tubing) for oil/gas, utilities, raw material for fabrication. Also consider structural steel, aluminum for square tube and I beam, and mild steel sheet. Fasteners and wire, extruded aluminum and steel, etc..

Motors, rotors, hydraulics, phenolic, and photo sensors, wiring harnesses, belting, hoses, electrical conduit, electrical wire, switches, relays, solenoids.

Halloween masks, detergents, blown films, injection molded parts, and rubber fists and dog poo.

Automotive parts, rubber and plastic goods and parts, textiles, etc...

Look around at your place of work - tell me how much of the stuff you have comes from China, or the materials you work with if you manufacture or fabricate something.

You name it, they are most likely amongst the worlds largest exporter.

They are, by a LOOOONG shot, the world's largest exporter and are the most diversified exporter covering the widest sector of goods globally.

Simply impossible. Not even a discussion.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/264623/leading-export-countries-worldwide/

https://www.ualberta.ca/china-institute/research/analysis-briefs/2021/canada-china-2020-yearinreview.html#:~:text=2020%20Canada%2DChina%20 Trade&text=The%20baseline%20figures%20of%20the,a%20near% 2010%25%20decline%20globally.

JohnB
03-19-2021, 07:33 PM
Where do you think that computer you are typing on came from?

And your iPhone.

Cross Eyed Cowboy
03-19-2021, 07:46 PM
effectively impossible

And under the CPP it had been planned,the plan has been implemented and it will remain that way.

270person
03-19-2021, 08:27 PM
Should they? Yes. Will they? Not a chance. Trudeau would have to possess a spine.

Jack Hardin
03-19-2021, 08:40 PM
Well, there goes the Dollarama stores.

20shadow05
03-19-2021, 08:41 PM
Just look at the agriculture we we export to China as well as Chinese investment in farmland in Canada.

There is no possible way for Canada to squeeze China without a squeeze back causing serious economic disruption.

TreeGuy
03-19-2021, 09:01 PM
Cannot replace China so long as unions exist. Pick your poison.

A good first step would be to threaten to revoke all student visas and have post secondary institutions severely reduce foreign admissions while exponentially increasing tuitions. This will most affect China’s most wealthy whom I am going to assume are their most influential. Time to add some aggressive to to passive.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstubbs
03-19-2021, 09:08 PM
Sadly, Canada needs China economically. China doesn't need Canada economically.

We'd bleed to death long before they even really started to feel the effects of Canada cutting off trade.

CaberTosser
03-19-2021, 09:25 PM
Without cheap Chinese products, most of us would have a significantly lower standard of living. Not many people would be willing to tolerate that.

Grizz

If we bought less disposable garbage we'd have more $$ to buy quality items that employ our fellow Canadians, more money staying within our borders would result in greater prosperity. A trade deficit is never a good thing, especially when its maintained long-term.

straight
03-19-2021, 09:26 PM
Canada has only one nose and two a...holes to stick it in - US and China. We just need to make a right choice.

skidderman
03-19-2021, 09:50 PM
China doesn't give a crap about Canada except for our resources. As far as Hui goes I think it's a bunch of Hui. Canada has about as much clout with China as a gopher with a grizz. So many dreamer's that have no idea how big & powerful China is. In fact it could be possible that China is the new superpower of the world.

Bigwoodsman
03-20-2021, 08:13 AM
pull out our embasy, kick out their diplomats would be a great start. Not realistic to ban all chinese imports and exports but we could follow usa lead and impose tariffs and sanctions. china believes they are in charge and dealing with a clown in Ottawa some one has to show some pride and play hardball. They do it all the time. p.s. why is the hauwei exec on house arrest in one of her palaces in Vancouver while 2 of our citizens languish in a prison with unlikely any conveniences. Canadian diplomats were not even allowed to attend the trial today. stop playing nice and kick the bully square in the knackers.

You want to kick China in the knackers. Me too. Hand Meng over to the USA for trial immediately.

BW

Madocmike
03-20-2021, 08:50 AM
I very much like the idea of cutting ties and holding China responsible, however like it has already been said... pretty much impossible in my lifetime. That would take a leader of our country to possess a set of balls and not worry about offending the snowflakes . It would also lessen our already diminishing quality of life in Canada. Lets face it, I'm pretty sure assembly line workers in China are not earning the wage that we Canadians need. Trudeau is a terrible excuse of a leader. More worried about how he looks than doing the right thing for Canadians.

Michael

The Cook
03-20-2021, 09:08 AM
This is about likely to happen as Keystone being finished :snapoutofit:

Just remember people, its boomers who sold us to china for cheep socks and T-Shrits.

Did you learn the blame game from your buddy justine? Asking for a friend. Pretty sure it's Harpers fault.

colvert
03-20-2021, 09:08 AM
Cannot replace China so long as unions exist. Pick your poison.

A good first step would be to threaten to revoke all student visas and have post secondary institutions severely reduce foreign admissions while exponentially increasing tuitions. This will most affect China’s most wealthy whom I am going to assume are their most influential. Time to add some aggressive to to passive.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you know Canadian education institutions rely on foreign students for the huge amount of money they bring in. Just can't close the door or quadruple the tuitions for the local students. And those rich foreign students would take their money somewhere else...

bobtodrick
03-20-2021, 09:35 AM
If we bought less disposable garbage we'd have more $$ to buy quality items that employ our fellow Canadians, more money staying within our borders would result in greater prosperity. A trade deficit is never a good thing, especially when its maintained long-term.

You’d like to think, wouldn’t you.
It’s the way I’ve tried to spend my money...I’ll wait six months to buy good quality rather than cheap, gotta have it now stuff.
But Canadians at large don’t think this way.
Go to any boutique store, let’s say a kitchen centre selling quality knives and such...then wander over to the kitchen section at Walmart...ten times as crowded.
I’m actually quite proud to say I haven’t been in a Walmart in 10 years (but I imagine the above is still true looking at their crowded parking lots) and 1993 was the last time I was in WEM.
Gotta admit though...I have a lot less ‘stuff’ than many of my friends.

Reeves1
03-20-2021, 09:49 AM
Should Canada cut off trade with China ?

Now that there is a funny question !

Trudope has handed Canada to China on a Silver Platter.......and for some tin foil stuff.....it will tie in with the war footing China has started with the USA.

barsik
03-20-2021, 02:31 PM
most of your retirement funds are in China by way of mutual funds invested in the stock market. a large percentage of manufacturing for North American multinational companies and conglomerates originate in China. so in effect, you could very well be cutting off your nose to spite your face. the entire globe is connected in one way or another so what the world population has to deal with now is a financial system that is far removed from reality and tyrants and dictators (and advisors) that will say and do anything to gain political power. can we cut off trade? yes, but it will hurt a LOT.

Okotok
03-20-2021, 07:33 PM
Simply Impossible.

Although many people think of consumer goods here - China produces steel products from OCTG (pipe, casing and tubing) for oil/gas, utilities, raw material for fabrication. Also consider structural steel, aluminum for square tube and I beam, and mild steel sheet. Fasteners and wire, extruded aluminum and steel, etc..

Motors, rotors, hydraulics, phenolic, and photo sensors, wiring harnesses, belting, hoses, electrical conduit, electrical wire, switches, relays, solenoids.

Halloween masks, detergents, blown films, injection molded parts, and rubber fists and dog poo.

Automotive parts, rubber and plastic goods and parts, textiles, etc...

Look around at your place of work - tell me how much of the stuff you have comes from China, or the materials you work with if you manufacture or fabricate something.

You name it, they are most likely amongst the worlds largest exporter.

They are, by a LOOOONG shot, the world's largest exporter and are the most diversified exporter covering the widest sector of goods globally.

Simply impossible. Not even a discussion.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/264623/leading-export-countries-worldwide/

https://www.ualberta.ca/china-institute/research/analysis-briefs/2021/canada-china-2020-yearinreview.html#:~:text=2020%20Canada%2DChina%20 Trade&text=The%20baseline%20figures%20of%20the,a%20near% 2010%25%20decline%20globally.

Cheap peasant labour works for sure. Things eventually equalize but when you have millions willing to work for next to nothing, hmmmm. We have a ways to go and it's nothing new.

nelsonob1
03-21-2021, 12:20 AM
Cut consular services in China. They wont be able to get visa to visit their vancouver mansions.