PDA

View Full Version : Holster - Leather or Kydex

lund17
03-19-2021, 04:36 PM
I am looking for a holster to use at the gun range and having a hard time in deciding what type of material to get for a holster.

Also, any recommendations of companies selling holster that I should look at? There are a lot of companies online these days selling stuff.

Scott N
03-19-2021, 04:55 PM
I bought a Kydex holster a few years ago from Soley Canadian so that I could try IPSC, it's a decent holster for a pretty good price, made in BC. I prefer the look and feel of nice leather, but Kydex I think is generally less expensive and maybe more practical. Check out the Soley Canadian website to see if they make a holster for your gun.

heybert
03-19-2021, 04:55 PM
Revolver or pistol? For revolvers, I like leather holsters. For pistols, kydex. You can order from Solely Canadian. I also like Safariland.

CNP
03-19-2021, 05:54 PM
Fobus

fordtruckin
03-19-2021, 08:17 PM
First off I have both. Second pistol or revolver? Third what are you trying to accomplish, competitive shooting, just something for the range, or your one of the lucky few with a permit? Fourth, what kind of pants do you wear when shooting? Something tighter such as Wrangler jeans vs a 5.11 tactical pant with some give in the waist will make IWB less comfortable vs OWB or small of back. Fifth, how do you want to carry small of back, appendix, strong side, off side, shoulder etc...

Leather feels better against the skin if your doing inside the waist band, however Kydex is generally easier to re-holster, especially IWB. I've had issues with leather wearing the finish off on 1 pistol but I'm not sure if that is a pistol issue or the holster. (I've never had this issue before in multiple leather holsters I run). Do you run an optic or a pistol light? Some leather holsters will be harder to find cut for those where Kydex is kind of the new wave tacticool item and easy to find with optic cuts or pistol light etc...

I have had custom made leather holsters, generic nylon holsters, custom Kydex holsters, factory kydex etc.. De Santis is my EDC/OWB carry right now for 95% of my use and depending if I wear looser fitting pants I have a TRex Sidecar and Appendix carry (Belly gets in the way with my Ariats...) . My favorite holster I ever had was a small of the back leather holster made by the Holster Store in Florida that I carried a Ruger LCR in. Good luck hope this helps some.

Big Grey Wolf
03-20-2021, 09:37 AM
Ford, real good summary on holsters. Another area to consider in Alberta if you are getting ATC (Authorization to Carry) it needs to meet certain specs to be approved by CFO.

fordtruckin
03-25-2021, 09:06 PM
Ford, real good summary on holsters. Another area to consider in Alberta if you are getting ATC (Authorization to Carry) it needs to meet certain specs to be approved by CFO.

Obviously due to my location I’m not familiar with the ATC regulations but expanding on what your implying, whatever holster the OP gets practice practice practice! I just got another duty holster and this one is definitely a bit more complicated drawing from.