PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan pike

Smoky buck
03-20-2021, 08:55 AM
Done a lot of fishing in western Canada but I have not done any fishing east of Alberta so want to start exploring to the east. With all the uncertainty of Covid we decided it might be best to keep it simple to start and pick a drive to location in Saskatchewan

We would be bringing our fishing kayaks and packing light so it would be tent camping or renting a cabin. The main interest is big pike and any other species in the lake would rank low on priority. Caught lots of lakers before and walleye just don’t do it for me. The goal is to catch quality pike and keeping fish is not important

Basically looking for recommendations of lakes and possible cabins. Don’t need a fancy resort just a respectable place to sleep. Tent camping is also alright but something that is nice but doesn’t need and fancy facilities

If you’re planning your first trip to BC a trade on fishing location recommendation is a possibility

MyAlberta
03-20-2021, 09:28 AM
Tobin is probably one of the best known. Trophy designation. I’ve caught some handsome pike there, but that big walleye is my memory. Blackstrap, south of Stoon has produced some heroic jack, as has Defienbaker. We’ve flown up through a few lakes in the NE for that wilderness thing, and have wrestled some big crocs. If a fly in tickles you, I can pm some info.

Smoky buck
03-20-2021, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the suggestions I will do a search on them and likely PM you for more information about them

58thecat
03-20-2021, 10:04 AM
If you want a nice place to lay your head, more or less easy to access and have a big lake with lots of islands. structure to hold big pike, eyes etc then perhaps Jan Lake? We got some real dandies out of that lake over the years.

I suggest Besnard lake too....

jednastka
03-20-2021, 05:31 PM
We used to go to Forrest Lake Lodge, and staying in their outpost cabin, for years. PB there was 112cm (44"). Also Lake Trout, Walleye, and Grayling. Access to 4 lakes and the headwaters of the Clearwater River that ends up in Fort Mac. Stopped going in the late 90s due to First Nations blockading Highway 955, north of La Loche.

Now we go to Nordic Lodge on Reindeer Lake on the Saskatchewan-Manitoba border. Not much further than Forrest Lake. PB here is 132cm (52"). Lake Trout can be huge, but our PB is only 76cm (30"). Walleye can be found on the lake, but the best place to go is below the Whitesands Dam on the Reindeer River. There are supposed to be Lake Whitefish and Lake Grayling, but we have never caught any. Have caught Whitefish in the fall on their spawning run below the Whitesands Dam.

Vic

Smoky buck
03-20-2021, 06:31 PM
Anyone have pics of pike from theses lakes?

mlee
03-20-2021, 08:51 PM
If you truly want HUGE pike (48"+) get as far north as you can early June. Wollaston, LA Ronge, Davin, Reindeer etc. If it's just big pike you want....Tobin as mentioned or any number of semi northern lakes such as Dore, Canoe, LA Plonge, Buffalo Narrows area. Side note....there's plenty of 40"+ pike in Alberta too both north and south. I don't fish the south at all but I'm up to 18 40"+ pike this fishing season in Alberta mostly in NB1.

Junglefisher
03-20-2021, 09:08 PM
Slims cabins, Sandy Bay Saskatchewan.
They have boat hire but you can fish from your yaks too.

Smoky buck
03-20-2021, 09:58 PM
Oh I know Alberta holds big pike I just want to explore and like big pike. I enjoy tossing big gear to aggressive fish more then any other style of fishing. I have also checked off every species but one between BC and Alberta so I have to travel a long ways to experience something new species wise.

I originally wanted to go musky but the wife wants to stay closer just in case Covid restrictions screw things

Plus I have not been to the land of mullets and jogging pants known as Saskatchewan lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys I have been on Google lots checking things out

SamSteele
03-20-2021, 10:01 PM
PM’d you.

Smoky buck
03-21-2021, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the responses and PMs everyone. I have received more recommendations then expect and even extremely generous offers

I appreciate it