PDA

View Full Version : Privacy...what privacy??

bobtodrick
03-20-2021, 01:41 PM
Turns out your Tesla is constantly recording your surroundings with its cameras and sending it all back to Tesla.
https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/tesla-recording-data-privacy/

fishtank
03-20-2021, 02:22 PM
Apple should’ve brought Tesla when they had the chance.. choices for the big game is poison pizza or poison wings or poison fish toco etc...

Trochu
03-20-2021, 02:26 PM
Apparently China is restricting their use on military bases and some state compounds.

hogie
03-20-2021, 02:30 PM
Any vehicle that will have self driving capabilities will have a in vehicle camera recording the driver. Won't have a choice.

Some of the new lane keeping systems are basically self drive if they can see the lines. It drives where it wants to, not where you want. Ford has a version of this out now. The steering wheel fights you when it's activated. I tend to drive more to the outside line, the system doesn't like it. They will sense if there is no driver input and give warning before disabling.

Making bad drivers worse. This stuff only works with good conditions.

bobtodrick
03-20-2021, 02:52 PM
Any vehicle that will have self driving capabilities will have a in vehicle camera recording the driver. Won't have a choice.

Some of the new lane keeping systems are basically self drive if they can see the lines. It drives where it wants to, not where you want. Ford has a version of this out now. The steering wheel fights you when it's activated. I tend to drive more to the outside line, the system doesn't like it. They will sense if there is no driver input and give warning before disabling.

Making bad drivers worse. This stuff only works with good conditions.

A lot of people like driving and want control over their vehicles. But let’s penalize them in an effort (mistakenly) to stop the bad drivers from killing people.
Gee...sure sounds a lot like gun control 🤬

Ken07AOVette
03-20-2021, 03:07 PM
Little piece of black tape with fix that. Surely the car wont stop if they can't see.

hogie
03-20-2021, 03:12 PM
A lot of people like driving and want control over their vehicles. But let’s penalize them in an effort (mistakenly) to stop the bad drivers from killing people.
Gee...sure sounds a lot like gun control 🤬

Yep, the scary thing is when the electronics fail you better pay attention.

I had a vehicle that came from bodyshop. They replace module to do with lane keeping. I had no idea. No warning lights for some reason. Put cruise on. Check lane keep, went to center line then tried to put me in the ditch.

Had power steering fail once on an older escape. Did my usual test drove. Went to go turn around on hiway to come back. Went to go I probably should have waited for vehicle coming. Lost steering trying to come into traffic turning. Electronic steering is really hard to turn when it stops. Good thing I was in the gym lots.

I don't trust electronics, I spend far too much time chasing problems with them that are intermittent.

elkhunter11
03-20-2021, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't buy a vehicle from any company that sells their vehicles at a loss, and makes their profit by selling carbon credits.

Buckhead
03-20-2021, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't buy a vehicle from any company that sells their vehicles at a loss, and makes their profit by selling carbon credits.

Yes, Elon has quite the scam going there.

Cross Eyed Cowboy
03-20-2021, 07:13 PM
Yes, Elon has quite the scam going there.

And large portions of his ventures funded by US Taxpayers.

We have a few companies like that in Canada, Bombardier comes first to mind.

muirsy
03-20-2021, 07:28 PM
Don't buy a Tesla then, easy enough!

bobtodrick
03-20-2021, 07:39 PM
Don't buy a Tesla then, easy enough!

Thing is all new cars with lane detection, back up cameras etc...Tesla is the first to be found that the cameras info goes to Tesla...how many others do it?
How long did it take Amazon to admit they listen to your Alexa conversations?

Buckhead
03-20-2021, 09:08 PM
Just imagine how much info and data Microsoft has collected.

Trochu
03-20-2021, 09:21 PM

Why does a vehicle with self driving capabilities need to have a camera recording the driver and sending the info back to the manufacturer?

wallz
03-20-2021, 10:04 PM
I guess a little hanky panky in the back seat is out of the question now too?

hogie
03-21-2021, 08:42 AM
Why does a vehicle with self driving capabilities need to have a camera recording the driver and sending the info back to the manufacturer?

Liability, customer gets into an accident and blames the car. Video recording shows them watching phone and not the road. Bad enough out there with drivers and phones, this will only make it worse. I'm not sure that any of this will go to the manufacturer but it will be recording for use if needed. Driver is still the operator of the vehicle no matter what electronics are involved.

Already track what speed and other things with restraints control module. Insurance and police have access to it. If a rear end happened on a hiway the vehicle that did it would be taken away and checked. Do a mechanical inspection to see if there was anything that may have happened. Check the electronics for its data and compare to what witness say and drivers story if makes sense. Driver say hit the brakes and nothing happened. Mechanical inspection says brakes look like they are in working order. Data shows front crash sensor went off at 90 kph with brakes being applied 1 second before event and slowing down. Driver wasn't paying attention to road.