PDA

View Full Version : Ice Rod Hard Case

lromanchuk
03-25-2021, 08:18 PM
What's the best hard case on the market for rods these days?

I had(recently stolen) the Frabill Case for years. But I didn't like having to break down the reels every time I packed up.

The case needs to be able to hold 6-8 Rods and up to 40ish inches in length. The case gets thrown in the tub and pulled behind the skidoo, so things take a beating.

Whats the best one out there?

Thanks.

mlee
03-25-2021, 09:26 PM
I've got a Flambeau bunk box....I like it.
You can get 6 rods in it without removing reels but only 2 of those can be 40". Just the way the case is built you can get a 40" rod at each end the other 4 need to be 38" or shorter.
The small Plano cases fit in as well. I usually have 5 rods and 3 small Plano cases in mine sling with pliers scissors flashlights soft plastics etc etc.

AlbertanGP
03-25-2021, 10:03 PM
The best cases hands down are Otter's Pro-Tech cases they came out with last year. Good luck finding one until next season. They sold out before we even had hard water up here.

OL_JR
03-25-2021, 10:11 PM
I've got a Flambeau bunk box....I like it.
You can get 6 rods in it without removing reels but only 2 of those can be 40". Just the way the case is built you can get a 40" rod at each end the other 4 need to be 38" or shorter.
The small Plano cases fit in as well. I usually have 5 rods and 3 small Plano cases in mine sling with pliers scissors flashlights soft plastics etc etc.

I like the Flambeau as well, beauty thing about them is if you can't fit all your longer rods into one you can by another or two for the same price as you'd put into one of the higher end rod cases.

HuyFishin
03-25-2021, 11:04 PM
The flambeau is actually the bang for the book hard case. Also goes on sale at the fishin hole every now and again. Otter is probably the best but costly. Strikers rodcase/bag doesn’t look to bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuyFishin
03-26-2021, 12:00 AM
The flambeau is actually the bang for the book hard case. Also goes on sale at the fishin hole every now and again. Otter is probably the best but costly. Strikers rodcase/bag doesn’t look to bad either.

Bang for the buck lol BUCK not book

JohninAB
03-26-2021, 04:42 AM
Ice fishing innovations are a nice case but pricey as ship out of the states I believe and unfortunately currently out of stock.

https://icefishinginnovations.com/shop/

Otter are nice. Riverside in Ontario shows them. Says hold up to 39 1/2” rod.

https://riversideoutdoors.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=493

I have the Striker rod bag/case as mentioned by HuyFishin and although it holds lots of stuff I will be replacing it with one of the above for next year. Rather have a top access style versus the end access style of the Striker for in my shelter.

lromanchuk
03-26-2021, 07:25 AM
Ice fishing innovations are a nice case but pricey as ship out of the states I believe and unfortunately currently out of stock.

https://icefishinginnovations.com/shop/

Otter are nice. Riverside in Ontario shows them. Says hold up to 39 1/2” rod.

https://riversideoutdoors.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=493

I have the Striker rod bag/case as mentioned by HuyFishin and although it holds lots of stuff I will be replacing it with one of the above for next year. Rather have a top access style versus the end access style of the Striker for in my shelter.

I really like the look of the icefishinginnovations case.

Sea Hawk
03-26-2021, 09:23 AM
Bought myself an Otter Pro-Tech last fall and used it all winter. Other than it is bulky and heavy(empty case weighs 17 lbs) it is bulletproof. It holds 6 rods with reels attached. Got mine from Riverside Outdoors in Ontario. They will ship to Alberta. What I like the most is I am not untangling rods everytime I get to the lake. You can put them in the case with the hooks on and forget about them. Mine rides in the sleigh behind the snowmobile all the time.

JohninAB
03-26-2021, 09:28 AM
I really like the look of the icefishinginnovations case.

Be my preferred choice as well out of the two.

fishn_palmer
03-26-2021, 10:23 AM
I have the Eagle Claw Ice Rod case, does the job but does make for a longer packup as getting 42" rods to fit takes some finessing. Also have the St.Croix soft sided cases that are nice for when your runnin and gunnin.

Smoky buck
03-26-2021, 10:55 AM
Abs/pvc pipe and two caps it may not be as cool as some of the other suggestions but it works

lromanchuk
03-26-2021, 11:50 AM

Just had a look at the Flambeau. I'm sure I would break those blue clips off almost instantly. Inside is descent, But feels a bit cheap. Likely wouldn't last behind the skidoo

lromanchuk
03-26-2021, 11:52 AM
Bought myself an Otter Pro-Tech last fall and used it all winter. Other than it is bulky and heavy(empty case weighs 17 lbs) it is bulletproof. It holds 6 rods with reels attached. Got mine from Riverside Outdoors in Ontario. They will ship to Alberta. What I like the most is I am not untangling rods everytime I get to the lake. You can put them in the case with the hooks on and forget about them. Mine rides in the sleigh behind the snowmobile all the time.

Can you fit a 40 inch rod in there? I've heard conflicting reports.

mlee
03-26-2021, 03:29 PM
Just had a look at the Flambeau. I'm sure I would break those blue clips off almost instantly. Inside is descent, But feels a bit cheap. Likely wouldn't last behind the skidoo

I've had mine 2 years hauled in a tub behind the sled....back of my truck with auger banging against it etc. It's held up fine so far.

lromanchuk
03-26-2021, 04:30 PM
I've had mine 2 years hauled in a tub behind the sled....back of my truck with auger banging against it etc. It's held up fine so far.

The Blue clasps concern me. Im hard on my stuff.

mlee
03-26-2021, 05:07 PM
The Blue clasps concern me. Im hard on my stuff.Lol I get it....I felt the same way at first because I can't have nice things. But they have held up fine. Honestly the way I pack stuff I'm not careful at all and I've left that bunk box in the back of my truck for weeks at -20 or whatever just sliding around. I pop it open slam it closed....they are good.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

trophyhunter
03-26-2021, 07:16 PM
The best cases hands down are Otter's Pro-Tech cases they came out with last year. Good luck finding one until next season. They sold out before we even had hard water up here.

X2

Sea Hawk
03-26-2021, 07:36 PM
Can you fit a 40 inch rod in there? I've heard conflicting reports.

I have the ProTech40 and after measuring inside with a tape measure, I would say you are looking at 39inches maximum rod length. They do make a 48 inch model that would probably serve your purpose.

There is also room inside for a few small lure boxes and I throw my hook file, pliers and towel inside as well.

A jawjacker will fit under the rods in the case as well.

lromanchuk
03-26-2021, 08:04 PM
I have the ProTech40 and after measuring inside with a tape measure, I would say you are looking at 39inches maximum rod length. They do make a 48 inch model that would probably serve your purpose.

There is also room inside for a few small lure boxes and I throw my hook file, pliers and towel inside as well.

A jawjacker will fit under the rods in the case as well.

I really like the Pro tech DEEP. its big money, but looks fantastic.

chain2
03-26-2021, 10:00 PM
what about a compound bow hard case? lotsa sizes available:thinking-006:

Sea Hawk
03-27-2021, 09:37 AM
I really like the Pro tech DEEP. its big money, but looks fantastic.

Mine is the pro tech deep 40. i really like the way it leaves room for the reel on the rod. i know it is lots of money, especially when you include the $68.00 shipping it cost to get it here from Ontario. If you are going to buy some better quality rods and reels, it is probably worth the expense in the long run. I carry 6 rods all with the hooks on ready to fish. I never have any tangled rods or hooks stuck in the material like I had in a soft case, and no more broken rods. Put it on your "Christmas list" and if you are getting it from Riverside Outdoors, order it early in the fall.

DerrickS
03-27-2021, 10:32 AM
Like the way you think..I have been using a semisoft bow case for twenty years holds about 10 rods,po kets for Plano cases. Look around...you will be pleased at what is available.

lromanchuk
03-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Mine is the pro tech deep 40. i really like the way it leaves room for the reel on the rod. i know it is lots of money, especially when you include the $68.00 shipping it cost to get it here from Ontario. If you are going to buy some better quality rods and reels, it is probably worth the expense in the long run. I carry 6 rods all with the hooks on ready to fish. I never have any tangled rods or hooks stuck in the material like I had in a soft case, and no more broken rods. Put it on your "Christmas list" and if you are getting it from Riverside Outdoors, order it early in the fall.

Ya I think this is exactly what i'm going to go with.

does it ALL outdoors
03-31-2021, 01:40 AM
I use this one, keeps two rods and anything else I might need for the day.

Got mine off FleaBay, think it was around $40

AlbertanGP
03-31-2021, 10:02 AM
One other thing I'd recommend are some neoprene reel cases like these (https://www.amazon.ca/Spinning-Reel-Cover-Fits-Reels/dp/B0775HX2SQ?pd_rd_w=upNkF&pf_rd_p=daebd3a6-ea9d-4b90-bdf3-c56d27b97604&pf_rd_r=GCY9F3WER0ZSR8QH15HT&pd_rd_r=334a8959-0160-43dc-8d14-be4cbd9ffb52&pd_rd_wg=SICyb&pd_rd_i=B0775HX2SQ&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_29_t&th=1&psc=1). I use these on my Stradic Ci4's & FreeFalls, and it helps prevent them from swinging around in the case and getting scratched up or worse.

AlbertanGP
03-31-2021, 10:05 AM
The Blue clasps concern me. Im hard on my stuff.

Those blue claps (or red if you get the Eagle Claw) are surprising durable. I've abused them pretty good this winter...including every weekend during that cold snap...and they haven't missed a beat. It would be a great case if it could hold the rods I use for hole hopping (42").

TrollGRG
03-31-2021, 01:47 PM
Have you considered a hard gun case? You can pick one up for 20 bucks on sale (even Cabelas). They are long enough and will hold 6 or 8 rods with reels. The foam will keep them from bouncing around and you can leave the reels on the rods.

lromanchuk
03-31-2021, 03:18 PM
Have you considered a hard gun case? You can pick one up for 20 bucks on sale (even Cabelas). They are long enough and will hold 6 or 8 rods with reels. The foam will keep them from bouncing around and you can leave the reels on the rods.

Yes I have. The case I had before it was stolen was something similar to that. I want to try and avoid having to break down the reels to put them in the case this time around.

TrollGRG
03-31-2021, 07:59 PM
Yes I have. The case I had before it was stolen was something similar to that. I want to try and avoid having to break down the reels to put them in the case this time around.

Wouldn't the foam compress enough to accommodate the reel? If you sit it so the reel is up or down not the handle? I could put my salmon reels in that way