PDA

View Full Version : Minnows

roosterman
03-28-2021, 09:02 AM
Who has minnows in Edmonton right now?

fish99
03-28-2021, 09:34 AM
cabellas south was filling the freezer on Friday with smelts.

YeeHaw
03-29-2021, 07:19 PM
You can get those Emerald ones with the green lids at most places, unfortunately one would swear they have been thawed and frozen a few times judging by how soft and mushy they are. The walleye master bagged smelts, or ones from places like T&T supermarket are your best bet right now. If you have any connections back east they might be able to get you some Parkers but they are hard to come by now, at least around the Prince Albert and Nipawin area. Other than that sweet talk someone who still has some stashed away for spring

shinpoe
03-29-2021, 10:52 PM
You can get those Emerald ones with the green lids at most places, unfortunately one would swear they have been thawed and frozen a few times judging by how soft and mushy they are. The walleye master bagged smelts, or ones from places like T&T supermarket are your best bet right now. If you have any connections back east they might be able to get you some Parkers but they are hard to come by now, at least around the Prince Albert and Nipawin area. Other than that sweet talk someone who still has some stashed away for spring

I've been using the smelts from T&T and No Frills and they do okay. $6-7 for a decent sized bag. Works well but gets super mushy if you refreeze and thaw

Sigmet
03-30-2021, 02:17 PM
Canadian Tire in Leduc was loaded up.

Bushleague
03-30-2021, 03:08 PM
I've been using the smelts from T&T and No Frills and they do okay. $6-7 for a decent sized bag. Works well but gets super mushy if you refreeze and thaw

Salt them.

338Bluff
03-30-2021, 06:00 PM
Salt them.

I tried that with the Emerald Minnows. Not much difference. Lost most if their scales too. Never though of doing it with smelt.

Hope they have a bettee harvest this year.