PDA

View Full Version : Sylvan Pike

BanffJohn
03-29-2021, 09:06 PM
http://ibb.co/RcrtLGk

Hey all, just wondering if anyone could give any ideas. I have been coming up there only for the last couple months and fishing the area marked Orange on the pic, targeting whites. Been fairly successful and it’s all that is to the help I’ve received here. There was lots of people in that area for the first few trips up, but the last 2 times I’ve been up, I’ve noticed a lot more fishermen in the area marked red.

Tomorrow is to be a day targeting the big pike I’ve heard about, would anyone say the red or the orange area might be better to target pike? We’ve got a couple out of the orange area, but only small ones, hoping for a big girl. Just grabbbed 7” herring at Fishin Hole.

Or alternatively-should I look elsewhere on the lake? This is the only spot I’ve fished so far out there so I really have no idea of pike habitat. From looking at the past posts in here-it seems that people go really shallow for them, and the chart I saw has that red area being shallower-so I’m kinda leaning towards that area would be better, but I’d appreciate any insight anyone could offer.

How shallow is too shallow?

BanffJohn
03-29-2021, 09:08 PM
Damn can’t figure out pics.
Area I’ve been fishing is off Norglenwold out and left until just before the bay on left.
Area I’m considering might be a spot is out at Norglenwold and turn right. From the map it looks like might be in front of Best Western.

Thanks guys

Greatwest
03-30-2021, 08:49 AM
I don’t have any experience fishing Sylvan but I targeted Pike this time of year in Saskatchewan when I lived there. This time of year the Pike will be in the Shallow waters prepping for the spawn. Usually under 10’. I don’t think there is such a thing as too shallow. I have absolutely hammer the big pike in only a few feet of water. In the real shallow waters you have to be careful setting the hook as you will bonk them off the bottom of the ice and knock them free.

BanffJohn
03-30-2021, 05:46 PM
Couple hours at half moon bay-nothing.
Moved to rr23 got a small one within 10 minutes. 4 fow.
Still plugging away

Greatwest
03-30-2021, 06:17 PM
How far off bottom do you have your bait? 12-18” seems to be best. 12” would be sufficient if you are only in 4’ of water. 18” if you move to deeper water. Make sure your bait isn’t floating up underneath the ice. I always put a weight to hold the bait at desired depth.

BanffJohn
03-30-2021, 07:43 PM
Update.
3 pike, nothing over 26”
And the biggest Burbot I’ve ever seen. 35”.
Didn’t expect that to come up off a 7” herring in 4 feet of water. Lol. Great fight.

Yup, we’re about 6-18” off bottom. In 4-10 feet ranges. All fish have been out of 4, and 6ft holes.

Couple hours left.
Come on 40”!

BanffJohn
03-30-2021, 08:32 PM
Now a 16.5” walleye.
What a treat to be able to catch multi species in the same spot.

Zip-in-Z
03-30-2021, 08:38 PM
B-John .... over the years I've seen some Monster "Jaws Size" Pike to the east of the lake access road in 6-7 fow next to the tube weeds, they would just stare at my w/w's and slowly swim off. One's head looked bigger than my double 10" hole, if you're lucky to get one, find a way to post a pic or P/M me & I'll upload it for you.

Wish you all the success.

David