PDA

View Full Version : Lake Minnewanka Info.

yeldarb
08-22-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm heading out with my 7 year old son to Lake Minnewanka tommorow for a few days of fishing fun. Does anyone have any tips on location and/or depth for catching Lake Trout. It seems to me that I remember that these fish tend to go quite deep in the summer heat. I have various bismuth jigs and will be bringing a downrigger for deep trolling. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

jrcw
08-24-2009, 12:33 AM
That lake can be tough and yes the fish will likely be deep. If you're new to the lake you might want to cheat and see where the charter boats are at. Jig white tube jigs off the bottom or troll spoons if they're suspended. If the lakers aren't cooperating you could always swtich to whitefish. For them I'd try a red wire worm on a nail rig (weight on bottom, worm on a leader coming off your main line up off the bottom...experiment with depth).

nevercatchmuch
08-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I can tell you what not to do.... not a single bite all day last sat. Don't stay within 50 feet of shore, fishing bottom with jigs or troll with spoons. lol. Sorry, no idea what to tell you. No one I talked to caught anything either.

IanL
08-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Two Jack and Johnson have been terrible to me as well - tried fly on sinking line, spoons/ spinners and also white tubes!

I always thought there was meant to be a pre spawning feeding frenzy in late August?

kenzo12
08-27-2009, 03:59 PM
got a 5 pound laker last week in 100ft of water, but thats all. jigging a white tube jig on a 2oz weight.

IanL
08-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Rented a boat for 4.5 hrs this morning on Minnewanka - two of us fished with white tube jigs around 80-100 ft just off the bottom - not a single bite!

Weather was good and scenery spectacular though

Safety D
08-28-2009, 03:58 PM
That lake is dead this year. Slowest year in a long time....

niwrek
06-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Hey a stupid question.. when jigging In this lake are you anchored or drifting???

TROLLER
06-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Right now the fish are in the shallows but you should anchor always, wind will usually drift you off the fish.

A few of the guides drift while fishing fly's in about 18 to 20 FOW they use an 18ft. leader with a strike indicator. They always drift the idea being your fly is just moving with the current. Works quite well as long as you can catch the hatch.

niwrek
06-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Kool beans, thanks for response.....I need more anchor rope!!!

Old Wizard
06-30-2014, 12:43 AM
I've had some good luck a Minnewanka this time of year trolling a silver flasher and a silver Flatfish 4 ft behind. Try various sizes.