PDA

View Full Version : Perch @ Sundance

DarkAisling
08-22-2009, 02:53 PM
I've read through the PDF for Perch fishing at Sundance. A "Frabill Panfish Popper" (which is an ice fishing rod) is indicated as being a good rod to use. Seems a little weird to be using an ice fishing rod in the summer. Is that a good one to get for this time of year?

We'll be there tomorrow, so I'd like to know asap.

Sundancefisher
08-22-2009, 03:48 PM
I've read through the PDF for Perch fishing at Sundance. A "Frabill Panfish Popper" (which is an ice fishing rod) is indicated as being a good rod to use. Seems a little weird to be using an ice fishing rod in the summer. Is that a good one to get for this time of year?

We'll be there tomorrow, so I'd like to know asap.

It depends are you casting or vertically jigging? I would come out and help you but I am busy tomorrow. If you want to come over and see what I do drop me your number via PM.

As for those rods, actually they cast remarkably well... No kidding. We used them a lot for casting in the spring. Their main purpose would be ice fishing or vertical jigging from a boat. Casting with a 5-7 foot rod is just plain easier. I would suggest an ultralight or at most light action rod with no heavier than 6 lb test. My light action rod works fine as Slingshotz would attest.

I just hit the fishing store and stocked up on jigs. I prefer the glow in the dark yellow and charteuse Genz Worm and Fat Boys. I had a lot of success with the ones with a splash of orange on them so I picked some up.

Just so there are no secrets between us...here are the ONLY jigs I ever use in this lake. I :love: these hooks for perch here. Others just don't seem to match up day after day over the course of the season. See attached photo. I put a quarter in to reference size. Badback did a number on them perch one day using a small pink soft bodied jig. I can not necessarily say that any particular hooks of mine work better than any other. As for other jigs I tend to stay away from soft plastics as you catch so many perch that the hook's plastic body gets mangled very quick. Even my jigs have problems. The jigs tend to use to a light hook and after catching a hundred perch or so the hook just gives up and breaks. Some guys that are looking to catch zillions...use a heavy fatboy on the bottom..2 or 3 perfection loops up the line such that there is a short tag to tie a red gamagatsu (sp?) hook tipped with a maggot on them. The highest hook however should be no higher than 2 to 2.5 feet from the bottom jig. Also please note that the hooks should be small. That guy caught 268 perch in one day at our annual winter perch fishing derby using that rig up.

Upon further reflection a longer (say 7 footer) light to light medium action rod is probably best for shore fishing for perch. Allows easier casting with 6-8 foot of space between hook and bobber and makes for easier hook sets if the there is any slack in the line from wind etc. Light line is important but mostly for your ability to feel the fish playing with your hook or to see it happening. The straight tight line between your hook and you bobber, rod tip or finger I call this the zone of line action (ZOLA). If you have curl in you line or you line is not straight from the hook to the bobber, rod tip or your finger you will not feel or see 90% of the bites. The biggest problem I see out there for perch fishermen is having zero feel over what the hook is doing and failing to have control or understanding of the ZOLA . Someone with 10 or 12 lb test or cheap 6 or 8 lb even will have lots of line curl no control of ZOLA. If the jig is to light jig to straighten the curl, a fish could have a party with your hook and bait and you would never know.

Funny thing was the other day a great guy named Randy...met him at the lake was fishing for trout with no luck. I showed him how to try and fish for perch and he ended up using a bell sinker and a three way swivel. Attached to the swivel he attached a small piece of line and small hook with a perch eyeball. I had my doubts but he started matching me perch for perch. I did not quite see how he was sensing the bite but with the bell sinker I think he kept moderate tension on the line and waited for any changes.

One other method I use is simple casting. Cast out, count down and allow for sinking. Do a slow retrieve with minor jigging to bounce the jig near the bottom. Shorten count if you get weeds. I find that the perch will often take the jigs while sinking and having great control over ZOLA is critical to catching more perch. You need to have full control and knowledge of what normal line looks like versus line that a fish has bit on. That comes with practice and striking at line actionanything that looks funny. They sometimes strike hard like a trout but 85% of the time they just swim up behind and pick the hook up in their mouths.

I hope some of this helps ya.

Cheers

Sun

DarkAisling
08-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks! I've made up a shopping list. I think we'll be using our 6.5' light action rods. I'll pick up some 4 and 6 pound line, a bunch of jigs, and some maggots.

I'm not sure where, exactly, we'll be fishing yet. It will probably be from the canoe, as we'll be there around noon tomorrow. I'm pretty sure we won't be fortunate enough to get a spot on the shore, as I suspect more than 20 residents would be out there by the time we get there.

Also, I'm curious about something: if the perch are such a bother, why doesn't the community association open up perch fishing to the public or increase the number of anglers that a resident can bring into the lake?

Sundancefisher
08-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks! I've made up a shopping list. I think we'll be using our 6.5' light action rods. I'll pick up some 4 and 6 pound line, a bunch of jigs, and some maggots.

I'm not sure where, exactly, we'll be fishing yet. It will probably be from the canoe, as we'll be there around noon tomorrow. I'm pretty sure we won't be fortunate enough to get a spot on the shore, as I suspect more than 20 residents would be out there by the time we get there.

Also, I'm curious about something: if the perch are such a bother, why doesn't the community association open up perch fishing to the public or increase the number of anglers that a resident can bring into the lake?

When you open up a pandoras box...all H E double toothpicks tend to follow. There are lake rules like numbers of guest etc. that is required to manage the lake properly. It would be difficult for some people to throw back a 8 pound rainbow if they caught one. For others taking up space and or boats from residents would not work well for resident fishermen. I will get plenty of buddies from this forum...both new and old out ice fishing this winter.

There will be plenty of room to fish from shore tomorrow. If unsuccessful from shore, make sure you bring at least one anchor to use with the rowboat. I find perch fishing can be better after 6 or 7 pm.

Cheers

Sun

DarkAisling
08-22-2009, 08:54 PM
That makes sense, and after reading the article on the "Status of Perch" I realize that the problem is a huge one. A few more people fishing really isn't going to make much of a difference. I'm thinking, however, that perhaps a program could be put into affect where non-Sundance families could be nominated for some lake privileges (including perch fishing, but no trout): a "non-resident" membership of sorts, with an annual fee. That annual fee could then go toward Rotenone application. I'm sure all sorts of ideas have been put forth.

I find the rules regarding bait confusing. No bait for C&R, which would have to be trout as the perch have to be kept. Can one fish for trout with bait if C&R isn't the plan (the family we're going have never kept a trout from the lake)? No live bait except maggots or mealworms. Can we use "Gulp" maggots (what I purchased) for perch? How do they define live bait: actually "alive" or anything "scented." Would cheese/marshmallows/bacon/fake maggots/spray on scents constitute "bait" or "live bait"? Sorry. I analyze just about everything to death (can't help it, I'm an engineer).

Our friends go there every Saturday and Sunday in the early afternoon, so we're limited in our opportunity to choose a better fishing time. It's just nice that they invite us along, and they even feed us :) Not going to look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Sundancefisher
08-22-2009, 09:41 PM
That makes sense, and after reading the article on the "Status of Perch" I realize that the problem is a huge one. A few more people fishing really isn't going to make much of a difference. I'm thinking, however, that perhaps a program could be put into affect where non-Sundance families could be nominated for some lake privileges (including perch fishing, but no trout): a "non-resident" membership of sorts, with an annual fee. That annual fee could then go toward Rotenone application. I'm sure all sorts of ideas have been put forth.

I find the rules regarding bait confusing. No bait for C&R, which would have to be trout as the perch have to be kept. Can one fish for trout with bait if C&R isn't the plan (the family we're going have never kept a trout from the lake)? No live bait except maggots or mealworms. Can we use "Gulp" maggots (what I purchased) for perch? How do they define live bait: actually "alive" or anything "scented." Would cheese/marshmallows/bacon/fake maggots/spray on scents constitute "bait" or "live bait"? Sorry. I analyze just about everything to death (can't help it, I'm an engineer).

Our friends go there every Saturday and Sunday in the early afternoon, so we're limited in our opportunity to choose a better fishing time. It's just nice that they invite us along, and they even feed us :) Not going to look a gift-horse in the mouth.

I just slaughtered them off the fishing area tonight. At 9:10 pm I caught a 10 in, then 9 in, then 14 inch perch. 14 incher was skinny though...not a humpy. Still managed about 70 from 7 pm to 9:20 pm.

As for bait, they allow maggots and mealworms as the only live bait. You really don't need anything else. Maggots are the only one that casts well. Best thing is a perch eyeball.

The hook I used tonight was the fatboy with the orange on it. They actually hit it with no bait when I tried...just not as quickly. It was a perch a cast after 8 pm. I was casting and not using a bobber.

Hope this helps the fishing.

As for your other suggestions... they were all thought of and deemed to hard to manage. Still like I said I can get people out icefishing easier than open water fishing.

Gulp maggots don't work so well here. "cheese/marshmallows/bacon/fake maggots/spray on scents constitute "bait" or "live bait"" are allowed but useless and a waste of time and money. One guy had marginal to fair success with uncooked chunks of prawn.

Stick with maggots, catch a perch...switch to eyeballs.

Cheers

Sun

RedHeadedFisherman
08-22-2009, 10:00 PM
[ Best thing is a perch eyeball.

Cheers

Sun[/QUOTE]

i did not think you could use parts of a local fish as bait???:huh::huh:

Sundancefisher
08-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Cheers

Sun

i did not think you could use parts of a local fish as bait???:huh::huh:[/QUOTE]

Here I go again... :evilgrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKTiwCez6Zs&feature=fvw

Lake Sundance is a private lake that was vandalized with an illegal introduction of perch that are infesting the lake like crazed zombie rabbits...

Check out the many, many threads explaining this by doing a search for "perch Lake Sundance" or visit the website http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/Status%20of%20Yellow%20Perch%20in%20Lake%20Sundanc e%20and%20the%20Effects%20on%20Rainbow%20Trout%20F ishing.pdf . Wow I am really surprised when anyone doesn't know that now. It has been an ongoing topic of multiple conversations :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

Sun

goldscud
08-22-2009, 10:18 PM
The trout fishing was awesome this evening...all on dries. Too bad I missed the perch bite....had to settle with all those big trout.

Sundancefisher
08-22-2009, 10:34 PM
The trout fishing was awesome this evening...all on dries. Too bad I missed the perch bite....had to settle with all those big trout.

Big trout are for lame-0's :D

I found glow in the dark corkies...

goldscud
08-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Corkies are for lame-0's.

After about 5 paddle boats drove over my line and the guys with trolling motor had made 3 laps of my anchored boat:mad2:...I called it quits.

Geezle
08-22-2009, 11:01 PM

it's a man made, stocked lake. The perch aren't local, but in fact an introduced invasive species.

DarkAisling
08-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, we got good 'n' skunked!

We weren't fishing that seriously though, and not for that long. We did spend some time with our friends' daughter (4-years-old), teaching her how to fish. She was a real little trooper and catching nothing but weeds didn't discourage her in the least.

Sundancefisher
08-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Well, we got good 'n' skunked!

We weren't fishing that seriously though, and not for that long. We did spend some time with our friends' daughter (4-years-old), teaching her how to fish. She was a real little trooper and catching nothing but weeds didn't discourage her in the least.

That's too bad. I just did five casts and caught five perch.

Next time!

DarkAisling
08-23-2009, 08:19 PM
That's too bad. I just did five casts and caught five perch.

Next time!

Show off :tongue2:

:lol: Just kidding. You're a wealth of information, and if we actually listen to you I know we'll catch perch.

Sundancefisher
08-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Show off :tongue2:

:lol: Just kidding. You're a wealth of information, and if we actually listen to you I know we'll catch perch.

Next time for sure...Badback just left with a good suppers worth of perch!

AlbertaAngler
08-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Cheers

Sun

From the Regs

Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait.

Hope that answers your question

AlbertaAngler
08-24-2009, 10:18 AM
From the Regs

Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait.

Hope that answers your question

Just to be clear. I'm not suggesting that the regulations apply to Lake Sundance. Just that eyes and other parts as per above quote can be used as bait under the regulations.