PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on the Highwood

fishstix
08-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Ive been fishing the Highwood river for the last few years, and Ive noticed that the fish are getting bigger. The smallest fish ive caught there this year was 14 inches. That was a cutthrout. The largest fish was a 23 inch bull. I dont see too many other fisherpeople out there so typiclly i fish where i want. Even if there are others in my favorite spots i dont mind hitting different areas. Yesterday i caught three rainbows 18,19,19 inch and the 23 inch bull. The first two bows were pulled out of a spot right across from the parking lot. I used to try to avoid fishing in such a high traffic areas. I had set my bro in law at a proven hole and left him be. I wandered down to a spot where i had seen some risers a few trips back when the water was higher. This time i crossed the river and was able to effectivly work this run. What a riot hooking in to a big rainbow in some current is. stripping line and leaping into the air. The first two were caught on an HL variant.
We made our way upstream to a beaver dam i found a few years back. You can stand on the edge of the main structure of the dam and see the bulls. Yesterday i took a big white streamer and cast it upstream. It drift through and i saw the big bull look at it. He swanm over,looked and went back to his position. The next cast dritfted by and again the big bull swam over to it. Bam fish on. The funny thing was,as soon as i had one on the other bulls in the hole were out and checking out the action. 23 inches.
I love the C&R regs on the river. Because of this we have a place to catch big fish.
Enjoy the river