PDA

View Full Version : walleye draw

shabooe
04-17-2021, 06:03 PM
So when did the bio's decide only 2 tags for class B and no more class C tags next year? I did not catch the changes until I put in for the draws. When was this announced?

Quigley2000
04-17-2021, 07:32 PM
Not that I know for certain, but I suspect that the 2 tags for B is more of a cash grab because once you’re drawn it costs ~$12 which is what it was last year for 3 B tags so the new system is more money per fish. Alternative reasoning could that they wanted to standardize it so all sizes had the same amount of tags, but that seems less likely. Another possible reason could be that then more people could keep fish for the same quota on a lake which they’d argue is better because more people are having the catch and cook experience.

As far as no C tags that could be more of a sustainability thing because maturity for walleyes is 4m/6f so females are about 40cm when they spawn, making them the likely harvest size for class C tags. By eliminating C tags they’ll ensure fish can spawn before harvest.

Again I don’t know for certain, but this makes to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wind drift
04-17-2021, 09:29 PM
This has been discussed lots. The Class C tags aren’t being eliminated, just going over the counter next year, instead of draw. Use up your priority now if you have some. Also, the surveys that were done in January showed that we preferred to have more 2 tag licenses made available than fewer 3 tag licenses.

I think this is all mentioned in the changes section in the guide.

SNAPFisher
04-18-2021, 07:18 AM
Not that I know for certain, but I suspect that the 2 tags for B is more of a cash grab because once you’re drawn it costs ~$12 which is what it was last year for 3 B tags so the new system is more money per fish.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

7magtime
04-20-2021, 02:14 PM
Did anyone notice that the Pigeon class B's had a quota of 5261 last year and this year it's showing only 290 on Albertarelm?? That seems like a pretty drastic decrease in harvest.......
I agree that going from 3 to 2 fish per draw is a cash grab. More money to the government for the applications as well as the drawn licences for a certain quota. Seems to be the norm this year......:mad3::angry3:

DRhunter
04-20-2021, 06:21 PM
Did anyone notice that the Pigeon class B's had a quota of 5261 last year and this year it's showing only 290 on Albertarelm?? That seems like a pretty drastic decrease in harvest.......
I agree that going from 3 to 2 fish per draw is a cash grab. More money to the government for the applications as well as the drawn licences for a certain quota. Seems to be the norm this year......:mad3::angry3:

Yes I did notice that. Hoping that’s a typo!

DR

TBark
04-20-2021, 06:34 PM
I hope more info to come for the class C undersubscribed or over the counter for 2022.
Doesn’t make sense unless unused C priority is of some value, like first on the list.
I’m expecting my P4 C class to be gone, oh well.

TBark

wind drift
04-20-2021, 07:49 PM
I hope more info to come for the class C undersubscribed or over the counter for 2022.
Doesn’t make sense unless unused C priority is of some value, like first on the list.
I’m expecting my P4 C class to be gone, oh well.

TBark

Use your P4 for Class C this year. There were always lots of undersubscribed Class Cs after the draws ended. Not sure why anyone would need to accumulate more than P1 or 2.

TBark
04-20-2021, 11:25 PM
Been doing other things for the past 3 yrs, so fishing was not happening here, so just P apps.

I’m in for C but A and B draw first, so C will be a waste I’m thinking.
And class A is pretty attractive in my fav lake this year, and at a P6.

TBark