PDA

View Full Version : Battery Chargers

Off in the Bushes
04-21-2021, 10:31 PM
I’m looking for recommendations on a 3 bank battery chargers for a trolling motor?
I have some experience with Noco brand and it seems good any others I should look at?

AlbertanGP
04-22-2021, 07:44 AM
Why wouldn't you look at Minn Kota's Precision chargers? I don't know how they compare to "generics" on price, but I've been happy with mine.

SNAPFisher
04-22-2021, 07:44 AM
Same. Looking to upgrade to a good at some point.

Off in the Bushes
04-22-2021, 09:09 AM
Do you guys run 10 amp charger, or 5 amp Chargers? Why? Seems to be a lot of cost difference based on that.
Minn Kota charger seem to cost more compared to others.

Dean2
04-22-2021, 09:44 AM
Have had Noco, Nataulis, Minkota and Canadian Tire, they were all two bank. Have also had these makes in single charger, trickle charger etc.. Price for features, reliability etc, I now pretty much use just Noco. The others are sold or sitting on the shelf. Any one looking for a good deal on three Nataulis deep cycle fully automatic 10 AMP chargers, send me a PM.

AlbertanGP
04-22-2021, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I'm sure there are more cost effective chargers than the Minn Kotas. They are very good chargers through as long as they work for your batteries (something to check with any charger if you're getting into lithium batteries).

If you're talking about large 12V deep cycle batteries in the neighborhood of 100ah, I wouldn't go any smaller than 10 amps. If you run a 100ah battery down completely, the 10 amp charger will take about 10 hours (100ah/10amps) to recharge it. If you only have a 5 amp charger, you're looking at 20 hours (100ah/5amps)...not good if you're in at night and wanting to head out again in the morning for the day. If you don't use your trolling motor all day a lot to drain the batteries down, the 5 amp charger may be fine. If you do, or you go out on a windy weekend, you're going to find your batteries letting you down on the water in short order.

FWIW, I run a 3-bank 45 amp (15 amps per battery) Minn Kota Precision. If I was looking to save some money, I'd look at Amazon, Cabelas...heck Canadian Tire...and do my research. There are lots of good generic chargers out there. I bet you could find a good 10amp charger for the price of a Noco 5amp if you do your homework. Cheers.

dodgeboy1979
04-22-2021, 10:22 AM
https://www.promariner.com/en/products/waterproof-chargers/prosport%20series/prosport%20gen%203%20series

ive been running the promariner brand for a couple years now with no issues.

Sea Hawk
04-22-2021, 02:52 PM
i installed a 3 bank noco (30 amp) that canadian tire had on sale last year. i installed it in the boat and it works great. come off the lake plug it in and walk away.

dodger
04-22-2021, 06:44 PM
Noco for 4 years then died, another Noco for 2 years then died, Mine Kota for 5th year now - happy.

Dodger.

Coiloil37
04-22-2021, 06:55 PM
I’ve only ever used the minn kota’s. Both the alternator and traditional chargers and never had a failure.

deschambault
04-22-2021, 07:39 PM
I had a cheap charger in my previous boat and my batteries were always in bad shape. I put a Minn Kota charger in and it was night and day. Now I have a new boat with a ProMariner charger and lithium batteries. I have no experience with large lithium batteries but the charge parameters seem OK so I'm hoping it works.

thumper
04-22-2021, 07:43 PM
Some of the NOCOs include a specific mode for Lithium batteries - if you're considering upgrading to Lithium in the future. I just purchased a NOCO 10 from Canadian Tire today, for my new 50ah Lithium.

Off in the Bushes
04-22-2021, 09:13 PM
This is the one that I am thinking of getting, just struggling between 5A and 10A as there is a big cost difference. The cost on the this trolling motor is getting out of control. It seems the motor is only a down payment. Now I have to get chargers, batteries, brackets and a plug for the motor. After that I need a fish finder to get on the fish. its been a long time coming though.
https://no.co/gen5x3