PDA

View Full Version : Time to Break the Piggy Bank

big zeke
08-23-2009, 10:15 PM
I was in the Calgary Fishin' Hole on Saturday and the sales guy mentioned that starting this Weds they are having their big wall-to-wall sale. Last year they had everything at least 20% off...I expect the same this yr. Often Wholesale follows suit but I haven't heard anything solid.

I know last year they were really picked over by the weekend so you might want to book some time off work on Weds...that's what I'm doing.

Zeke

PS. I'm not a salesguy for them...just a fisherdude interestd in keeping $$ in my wallet.

nicemustang
08-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Good tip. Thx. I still only get my stuff there, bass pro really lacks in things i want.

BigRackLover
08-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I know last year they were really picked over by the weekend so you might want to book some time off work on Weds...that's what I'm doing.

Wow - that's really getting expensive :lol:

It's a great sale on some good products. BPS will never have sales on "good" items until a few seasons are run through the store.

Geezle
08-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Wow - that's really getting expensive :lol:

It's a great sale on some good products. BPS will never have sales on "good" items until a few seasons are run through the store.

Can anybody confirm, is the sale starting tomorrow at the Edmonton locations as well?

wildman
08-26-2009, 12:01 PM
i got mine!!!!!!
20% off float tubes
25% off waders
40% off flies!!!!!!!
WOOHOO!!!

DarkAisling
08-26-2009, 12:55 PM
I was at the Calgary location between 10 and 11 . . . wonder who else was wandering around the store then?

I didn't get any smokin' deals, but I did leave with a new panfish rod and some other odds and ends.

Geezle
08-26-2009, 06:22 PM
i got mine!!!!!!
20% off float tubes
25% off waders
40% off flies!!!!!!!
WOOHOO!!!

Nice deals...too bad I don't need any of those items...

I'll probably hit them up tomorrow after work and maybe see about getting some ice fishing gear for the winter if there's any good deals to be had :)

sdimedru
08-26-2009, 06:25 PM
40% off my rod/reel combo, and 25% off my new tackle box.... coulda spent hundreds in there

Waxy
08-26-2009, 06:54 PM
coulda spent hundreds in there

Coulda and did lol. :lol:

I REALLY had to resist the urge to pick up a couple of those Crucial rods they had on sale for 40% off, and when was the last time you saw top of line St. Croix or Fenwick stuff 25% off? Of course, if I'd have bought those, then I would have needed new reels, and so on and so on ($$$$$$$$$$)...

It's wall to wall, and it only happens twice a year, so you gotta bite the bullet lol.

Waxy

DarkAisling
08-26-2009, 06:57 PM
I walked out only having spent $75! I'm quite proud of myself, actually :) That said, I think I might be heading back tomorrow for ice fishing rods.

I'll do significant damage at the sale next year. Being on mat leave certainly drains the wallet.

Wulfespirit
08-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I confess.

I bought the Hummingbird Ice-35 flasher at the north side FH today. $265ish after the 20% discount.

Don't tell the wife please. :ashamed:

Geezle
08-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Ahhh you guys are kiling me! Sounds like there's a ton of great deals to be had, and I'm short on gear...but this is a bad time for me, and I'm short on funds as well!

Ah well, I've got $50-60 to blow there...I'm sure I'll have fun with it :)

slingshotz
08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
I only spent $57 cause I was short on time but I was umming and awing the Sage 3wt VT2. A lot of cash but damn its a nice rod. The Sage Launch 4wt was very nice too for about 60% cheaper. I'm not 100% convinced that the VT2 is that much better....

Gonna visit it again tomorrow when I'm not as pressed for time, not sure if my credit card will be able to take any more heat though :lol:

DarkAisling
08-26-2009, 07:37 PM
I confess.

I bought the Hummingbird Ice-35 flasher at the north side FH today. $265ish after the 20% discount.

Don't tell the wife please. :ashamed:

Very nice :)

Just do what I do . . . leave it in your vehicle for a week or two. Sneak it into your gear when she isn't looking. Then, when you finally haul it out and she asks "Is that new?" you can say "No honey, I've had this for a while."

I've been doing this for years (shoes, suits, handbags), and it has always worked.

slingshotz
08-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I've been doing this for years (shoes, suits, handbags), and it has always worked.

That's cause men's eyes glaze over when it comes to clothes :tongue2:. Now if you tried that with a ice flasher it might get noticed.

Geezle
08-26-2009, 07:42 PM

Just do what I do . . . leave it in your vehicle for a week or two. Sneak it into your gear when she isn't looking. Then, when you finally haul it out and she asks "Is that new?" you can say "No honey, I've had this for a while."

Hey, that's my trick! :innocent:

Incidentally...now that you mention this, I'm going to keep a closer eye on my wife...;)

DarkAisling
08-26-2009, 07:43 PM
That's cause men's eyes glaze over when it comes to clothes :tongue2:. Now if you tried that with a ice flasher it might get noticed.

:lol:

Most women don't know what's what when it comes to outdoor gear. It should work.

Really, it should!

Wulfespirit
08-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Way ahead of you - safely stored in the backseat of the truck. :cool:

DarkAisling
08-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey, that's my trick! :innocent:

Incidentally...now that you mention this, I'm going to keep a closer eye on my wife...;)

See, it is an equal opportunity ruse :)

Geezle
08-26-2009, 07:46 PM
See, it is an equal opportunity ruse :)

I suppose it's only fair...:)

wildman
08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm with ya dudes!!!with the float tube and waders on top of all the lures I broke 500 bones!!! Very worth it!!!!

Geezle
08-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, I didn't have a lot of money to play with, but that sale sure helped me make the most of it :)

The big purchase was a light ice rod/reel combo.

Besides that I picked up some small odds and ends (snap swivels, baitholder hooks, 3 way swivels, weights, leaders) a few spoons and jigs, and a tub of worms :)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/s6301472.jpg

I think I did okay for $50...it's probably best that I didn't have more money, or it would all be gone!

Rollie
08-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Finally broke down and bought some seats for the boat 25% off, 3 new rods and a bunch of leaders, weights, spoons, line. Not often I have the money to enjoy. Walked out $300 poorer.

Geezle
08-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Finally broke down and bought some seats for the boat 25% off, 3 new rods and a bunch of leaders, weights, spoons, line. Not often I have the money to enjoy. Walked out $300 poorer.

Glad to see you were able to make the best of it :)

It's not often that a sale comes along that I'm actually interested in...it's just too bad I'm mostly broke this time around. Hopefully it'll be a different story when this sale rolls around again!

slingshotz
08-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Did anyone notice if they had rod holders there? The kind you stick in the ground. I've been there twice already and I'm not sure if I can resist a new fly rod on the third visit :(

Edit: I should have said the Calgary store.

Wulfespirit
08-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Did anyone notice if they had rod holders there? The kind you stick in the ground. I've been there twice already and I'm not sure if I can resist a new fly rod on the third visit :(

The north side store in Edmonton has some. Just the basic metal 'coils' that you shove into the ground. They're $4.95 or something normally.

2big4u
08-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Freestone waders and new Korker boots did me in. $350.00, Diana said I looked sexy.:evilgrin: Breaking them in this afternoon.

Geezle
08-28-2009, 06:44 AM
The north side store in Edmonton has some. Just the basic metal 'coils' that you shove into the ground. They're $4.95 or something normally.

South Edmonton store has 'em as well.

Pretty sure I've seen them at The Wal as well if that's more convenient for you :)

DarkAisling
08-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Edit: I should have said the Calgary store.

I looked for these yesterday and on Wednesday at the Calgary store, and couldn't find any. I couldn't believe it, especially since they had so many rod holders. Maybe they've gone out of fashion, or something?

nicemustang
08-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Will, they do have the metal coils that go on the ground. They are on the far east ilse underneath the blades for spinner trolling.

I picked myself up a new Shimano sidestab reel (4000) that I got for 25% off, which is an awesome reel and highly rated and reviewed. Stocked up on my favorite swim baits, hallow bodies, and even picked up some storm wildeye's to try.

DarkAisling
08-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Will, they do have the metal coils that go on the ground. They are on the far east ilse underneath the blades for spinner trolling.

Totally missed them. I promised the other-half that I wouldn't go back though, as my trip yesterday nearly threw him over the edge (very hard to sneak a big Plano rod case into the house . . . got busted!).

I picked myself up a new Shimano sidestab reel (4000) that I got for 25% off, which is an awesome reel and highly rated and reviewed. Stocked up on my favorite swim baits, hallow bodies, and even picked up some storm wildeye's to try.

I think the Sidestabs are awesome reels . . . especially for the price point. I haven't tried the 4000. I did pick up another 2500 at the Calgary store (think I got the last one). My goal is to get one more 2500 and load up each spool with a different weight of line. I have three 1000s, and line changes are really easy as I've got all of the spools loaded up differently. The spools fit quite nicely in my tackle box too (which is really full after this week).

slingshotz
08-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Argh I forgot to pick up a rod case too, might have to go once more for the last time. Damn it must resist new fly rod, must resist.....

nicemustang
08-28-2009, 10:03 AM
The difference is just the size. The 4000 is just a bigger reel, fit more line. I got them to spool 250 yard of 8lb fireline, cause that's on sale too. The line will last me for 2-3 years.

DarkAisling
08-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Argh I forgot to pick up a rod case too, might have to go once more for the last time. Damn it must resist new fly rod, must resist.....

Here's the one I picked up:
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=9022390&enlargeSkuz=23031&PRODUCTSEARCH=

It is a little long for the car, but I wasn't able to extend the "Rod Caddy" one. May be that I'm just not strong enough, or there was a trick to it. The Rod Caddy was a little cheaper and adjusted down to a smaller length, so it would have been a better choice for me (if I could have adjusted it).

TimC
08-28-2009, 11:09 AM
bought a Shimano cumara rod yesterday for walleye fishing. (40% off) :love:

can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Geezle
08-28-2009, 04:41 PM

I did the same thing...I could really use a case so I don't beat up my rod/reel...ah well :o

slingshotz
08-30-2009, 10:53 PM
The sale is now over right? There's a few more things I forgot to pickup :(