PDA

View Full Version : Keeley lake

topgun
04-24-2021, 05:33 PM
Looks like if your planning a trip you will be paying a toll to use the roads.

Bushleague
04-25-2021, 06:19 PM
Looks like if your planning a trip you will be paying a toll to use the roads.

Lol, along with every other friggin' thing. Got that place buttoned down pretty tight, I wouldn't encourage Keeley to anyone.

dodgeboy1979
04-26-2021, 09:54 AM
who is charging a toll to use the road up there?

mlee
04-26-2021, 12:51 PM
Assuming this is just the portion heading east into Keeley off 903? I'll be in the park for a week end of May....I wasn't planning on fishing Keeley anyways but will likely spend a day at Canoe.

Freedom55
04-26-2021, 06:11 PM
Can you clarify? How much? To whom? Assuming you'll be able to travel inter-provincially a toll would be the least of your concerns. I am unable to fish a particular tournament in Alberta because I am cannot self-isolate for enough time after fishing one in Sask. I'll get over it and if my wife's son and his foolish kind will get their inoculations the chances are good that next year is a go.

Entering a reserve around these parts means looking at a giant sign that says "No visitors" so a toll that is not a shakedown wouldn't work. Come to think, a shakedown wouldn't work either. Tourists are wise to that crap. So are the landholders. But you've got me thinking.

Free:thinking-006:

dodgeboy1979
04-27-2021, 08:53 AM
this is what i found on line. No $ amount discussed though.

350 mag
04-27-2021, 04:37 PM
They probably do the same as 90% of the rest of them....put nets in the rivers and creeks at spawning time and take all the breeders out of the lake.

They won't stop abusing the fish and wildlife until they are gone forever....and it's ALL the "white man's " fault??

dustinjoels
04-27-2021, 04:48 PM
Pretty simple. Stop maintaining the highway with taxpayer money.

Mumbles
04-27-2021, 04:48 PM
They probably do the same as 90% of the rest of them....put nets in the rivers and creeks at spawning time and take all the breeders out of the lake.

They won't stop abusing the fish and wildlife until they are gone forever....and it's ALL the "white man's " fault??

So sad...but so true.
The only fault I can blame on “Whitey” is continue to allow them to do it and do s#@+ like put tolls on roads that don’t necessarily end on reserve land, refuse entry and so forth. They use and abuse the lands and resources and continue to blame others is ridiculous, but if someone give them the almighty $$$ they seem to not care about issues like these.
Maybe it is time for tolls for them to leave reserve land and use government roads it could go both ways, sadly it wont because that would be deemed racist.
Just as my comments make me a racist not just someone thinking it’s time for equal treatment for all.

dustinjoels
04-27-2021, 04:50 PM
Can you clarify? How much? To whom? Assuming you'll be able to travel inter-provincially a toll would be the least of your concerns. I am unable to fish a particular tournament in Alberta because I am cannot self-isolate for enough time after fishing one in Sask. I'll get over it and if my wife's son and his foolish kind will get their inoculations the chances are good that next year is a go.

Entering a reserve around these parts means looking at a giant sign that says "No visitors" so a toll that is not a shakedown wouldn't work. Come to think, a shakedown wouldn't work either. Tourists are wise to that crap. So are the landholders. But you've got me thinking.

Free:thinking-006:

There’s no inter provincial self isolations required in Alberta. As long as you’re not traveling internationally it shouldn’t be an issue. Unless for some strange reason this is tournament mandated requirement.

pikeman06
04-27-2021, 06:20 PM
So sad...but so true.
The only fault I can blame on “Whitey” is continue to allow them to do it and do s#@+ like put tolls on roads that don’t necessarily end on reserve land, refuse entry and so forth. They use and abuse the lands and resources and continue to blame others is ridiculous, but if someone give them the almighty $$$ they seem to not care about issues like these.
Maybe it is time for tolls for them to leave reserve land and use government roads it could go both ways, sadly it wont because that would be deemed racist.
Just as my comments make me a racist not just someone thinking it’s time for equal treatment for all.

Don't call me whitey that's racist. Get
with the times.

Freedom55
04-28-2021, 05:04 AM
Would it be so difficult to accede to some of their concerns. Pretty good bet that none of you were headed to that lake this summer but some of you can't wait to spew your hatred. Take a moment and read the letter provided by dodgeboy. Seems rather self-explanatory to me.

If the province imposes rules on your private lives you go off your tuque. Impose rules on someone else's lives and you go off your tuque. My advice: stay home. With so little regard for someone besides yourself how can you be trusted with my safety?

Free (to fish a million other places)

Smoky buck
04-28-2021, 07:08 AM
Would it be so difficult to accede to some of their concerns. Pretty good bet that none of you were headed to that lake this summer but some of you can't wait to spew your hatred. Take a moment and read the letter provided by dodgeboy. Seems rather self-explanatory to me.

If the province imposes rules on your private lives you go off your tuque. Impose rules on someone else's lives and you go off your tuque. My advice: stay home. With so little regard for someone besides yourself how can you be trusted with my safety?

Free (to fish a million other places)

I don’t agree with the way some chose to respond with their posts in this thread but the FN response to not getting their way is also wrong

If they wish to continue to dispute the government on the issues I can completely respect that. The issue lies with the on going temper tantrums where they choose to attack the rights of other Canadians when they don’t get their way. Then add in the fact the government will just sit back and allow it to happen. There is a lack of consequences for FN when they choose to do this or abuse their rights

People wonder why relations between FN and many outdoorsman is so poor. We basically get attacked and/or penalized during many disputes between FN and government

Accusing all FN of abusing fish/wildlife because a portion of their community does is wrong but I also understand where the frustration comes from that causes theses comments

Like I said if FN conducted themselves in a reasonable manner regarding their dispute with their issues I could respect it but the actions they are choosing to take just make people angry towards/loose respect for FN

Rvsask
04-28-2021, 07:27 AM
I’ll be heading up, many times I’m sure.
I’m not of the opinion that paying a toll will help solve the problem but truthfully I hope it keeps many home. That lake is so grossly over harvested by anglers it isn’t even funny. Adding up the days, I’ve spent years there, FN netting much less an issue than guys with freezers in their trucks or people heading home in the middle of the night to trade their limit to someHutterites for welding work. But the fishing is poorer bc of netting, just ask those guys. It’s hilarious. Fishing was way better a decade ago, or 2 decades when the netting was going on. It’s depleted with the amount of meat hunters, the guys SERM has catered to.

7magtime
04-28-2021, 08:15 AM
I don’t agree with the way some chose to respond with their posts in this thread but the FN response to not getting their way is also wrong

If they wish to continue to dispute the government on the issues I can completely respect that. The issue lies with the on going temper tantrums where they choose to attack the rights of other Canadians when they don’t get their way. Then add in the fact the government will just sit back and allow it to happen. There is a lack of consequences for FN when they choose to do this or abuse their rights

People wonder why relations between FN and many outdoorsman is so poor. We basically get attacked and/or penalized during many disputes between FN and government

Accusing all FN of abusing fish/wildlife because a portion of their community does is wrong but I also understand where the frustration comes from that causes theses comments

Like I said if FN conducted themselves in a reasonable manner regarding their dispute with their issues I could respect it but the actions they are choosing to take just make people angry towards/loose respect for FN

Agreed and well said.

waldedw
04-28-2021, 08:36 AM

Absolutely, what other group can " Take matters into our own hands " when they do not get the response they want from the government, all the road blocks and tolls are going to do is cause more animosity and no doubt in time it will cause violence.

dodgeboy1979
04-28-2021, 11:08 AM
I’m not of the opinion that paying a toll will help solve the problem but truthfully I hope it keeps many home. That lake is so grossly over harvested by anglers it isn’t even funny. Adding up the days, I’ve spent years there, FN netting much less an issue than guys with freezers in their trucks or people heading home in the middle of the night to trade their limit to someHutterites for welding work. But the fishing is poorer bc of netting, just ask those guys. It’s hilarious. Fishing was way better a decade ago, or 2 decades when the netting was going on. It’s depleted with the amount of meat hunters, the guys SERM has catered to.

couldn't agree more with your statement. I've been going there for quite a few years and noticed the fishing going down hill, it's not the nets, it's the weekend warriors with their coolers stuffed.

sendmethem
04-28-2021, 09:47 PM

Who buys an out of province license, drives 6 hours to catch a walleye and puts it back in the lake? Just saying....

Freedom55
04-29-2021, 06:15 AM
Any angler that goes to Alberta from Sask. The walleye there are too small to keep.:) But if you were to drive 6 hours the other way,you could only possess 4. Long way to go to get 4 fish with only one over 55. Just saying is right.

Besides, there are plenty of ponds in the region and that one is off the list. Big deal!

Free

MooseRiverTrapper
04-29-2021, 06:52 AM
Wow that is a big deal and concerning. Wonder what the indians are going to charge to drive the road built and maintained by the Saskatchewan government?

Smoky buck
04-29-2021, 07:07 AM
Who buys an out of province license, drives 6 hours to catch a walleye and puts it back in the lake? Just saying....

Umm Me and many others I know but I fish mostly for the enjoyment. I do enjoy eating a meal of fish here and there but may take 10 fish all year. I plan to drive to Saskatchewan to do some fishing this year but keeping fish is not the goal

Nothing wrong with keeping a few fish but just because you drive X many hours doesn’t mean you need to keep everything you can. Using moderation, respect for the fish and the fisheries go along ways if anglers want quality fisheries to be there in the future

Just because it’s not your backyard and put out a few $ doesn’t mean it you need to take all your can

Freedom55
04-29-2021, 08:40 AM
Wow that is a big deal and concerning. Wonder what the indians are going to charge to drive the road built and maintained by the Saskatchewan government?

Nowhere near the lost income that came from shutting down the net fishing which, whether or not you agree with it, is their treaty right. Not to put too fine a point on it but the grid roads are maintain by the Rural Municipality. In this case the gravel roadwork fees would likely be paid to the R.M. by the First Nations community it serves. Maybe with money generated by the commercial fishery.

This could be altered if the R.M. is actually that of the Weduskow Sahgaiechan First Nation in which case then the Cree people themselves pay the fees to own and operate the equipment and buy the gravel. Maybe with monies generated by the commercial fishery.

A First Nations reserve is not public land so I'm not sure what your concerns are or how it is a big deal to you. No one says you can't drive on the public grid road but you might look foolish at the gate that has a sign advising travelers that visitors are still not permitted on reserved land. You might try a float plane. No toll on that but a little more pricey that a few quid at the gate.

Free

MooseRiverTrapper
04-29-2021, 09:32 AM
Nowhere near the lost income that came from shutting down the net fishing which, whether or not you agree with it, is their treaty right. Not to put too fine a point on it but the grid roads are maintain by the Rural Municipality. In this case the gravel roadwork fees would likely be paid to the R.M. by the First Nations community it serves. Maybe with money generated by the commercial fishery.

This could be altered if the R.M. is actually that of the Weduskow Sahgaiechan First Nation in which case then the Cree people themselves pay the fees to own and operate the equipment and buy the gravel. Maybe with monies generated by the commercial fishery.

A First Nations reserve is not public land so I'm not sure what your concerns are or how it is a big deal to you. No one says you can't drive on the public grid road but you might look foolish at the gate that has a sign advising travelers that visitors are still not permitted on reserved land. You might try a float plane. No toll on that but a little more pricey that a few quid at the gate.

Free

I go to keeley lake every year.

Used to go to canoe until they netted it out and told my buddy Keeley is next.

58thecat
04-29-2021, 10:57 AM

I do....enjoy a shore lunch and the area then head home with nothing but a walleye in my stomach and memories of a great day on the water.

:)

Who Da Fisherman
04-29-2021, 01:18 PM

I have a friend that has a seasonal lot at Canoe, it is not fished out.
WDF

Rvsask
04-29-2021, 01:19 PM

Sounds like the typical response from those that are the real reason what happened to Canoe, it was an angler zoo. Now Keeley is the angler zoo, all kinds of red plates making sure they max out on their take, even if there are 10 guys on the pontoon. "Gotta get our 50 pike!! Make sure all the unders are 74 cm if we can.". It's ridiculous blaming the nets. Yes, there are green plates that do that too. I have a vested interest, I'd like my grandkids to have the same pleasure of their Great Great Grandpa's deeded cabin as I have had. Anglers are killing that place, anglers. SERM should have cut limits years ago.

Freedom55
04-29-2021, 01:29 PM

Be sure to be pleasant and have a smile behind your mask that goes all the way to your eyes when you pay the toll. You never know when you may need a friend. In case you missed the memo, there was no netting this past winter. You should be able to get a belly full.

Free (to prefer Delaronde)

MooseRiverTrapper
04-29-2021, 01:45 PM
Sounds like the typical response from those that are the real reason what happened to Canoe, it was an angler zoo. Now Keeley is the angler zoo, all kinds of red plates making sure they max out on their take, even if there are 10 guys on the pontoon. "Gotta get our 50 pike!! Make sure all the unders are 74 cm if we can.". It's ridiculous blaming the nets. Yes, there are green plates that do that too. I have a vested interest, I'd like my grandkids to have the same pleasure of their Great Great Grandpa's deeded cabin as I have had. Anglers are killing that place, anglers. SERM should have cut limits years ago.

Albertans will keep hitting sask hard

MooseRiverTrapper
04-29-2021, 01:48 PM
I have a friend that has a seasonal lot at Canoe, it is not fished out.
WDF

Should have fished it 20 years ago

Rvsask
04-29-2021, 03:23 PM
Oh I’m sure they will. Either way it’s crazy people from anywhere whine if they’re part of the problem. Even when my kids were in grade school they made fun of the guys bragging about their 20 pound “jack” or 8 lb “eye” on the filleting table. Proud dad moment was listening to them say to one braggart who said “ever see one like this before?” and one son said”threw about thirty bigger back already this year.”
Keeley used to be great, I hope they keep slashing limits so it returns to its glory.

Who Da Fisherman
04-29-2021, 06:11 PM

I used to a bit over 30yrs ago and it was ok then.
WDF

Who Da Fisherman
04-29-2021, 06:16 PM

I have seen the locals (Sask residents) hammer them and multiple fish frys while there for the week.

I used to more like 30 yrs ago, it was ok then.

WDF