PDA

View Full Version : White Tube Jig Rig

IanL
08-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Been out at Minnewanka and Two Jack and trying to use spinners/ spoons and also fly on a sinking line, but have had no luck at all!

I hear that the way to go after the lakers is actually using a white tube jig rig - can someone advise me on a simple rig for a white tube which can be used on a boat or from shore?

Thanks

ps apologies for the simple question! We've never fished these deep lakes before for lake trout

Cowboy Al
08-24-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm not ure about the white tube jig, but I know first hand that one of the rigs all the guides use is a 2oz bannana weight painted white with a treble hook on it, jig it on the bottom (from a boat, we fished down past the beach in 100-110 ish ft of water). Jig it on bottom then reel up jigging t intervals along the way, drop it back down and repeat. A jig like a army truck colored buzz bomb would work as well. Minney can be tough...gd luck

nicemustang
08-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Available at the fishin hole. I've had luck with these jigging in winter until we found the buzz bombs worked better at spray, usually use these now. But I sometimes put one of these on a tip up and have luck still.

Get a weighted hook and tube jig as pictured below:
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/CIMG0733.jpg

Carefully slide the weight all the way into the tube, push the eyelet through the jig body and you're done.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/CIMG0734.jpg

A 2" or 2 1/2" white buzz bombs is better IMO.

tyee33
08-24-2009, 06:18 PM
All I use on Cold Lake, winter only, never heard of it tried in the summer

IanL
08-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks!

So I just attach my line to the white tube jig and jig just off the bottom? Or is it good to attach a weight to the bottom with the white tube off a second line?

Also, do you think the white tube would work attached to a bobber float on lakes such as Johnson or Two Jack [not as deep an Minnewanka?]

jrcw
08-24-2009, 11:37 PM
As per the pictures provided above, just tie it on and jig it as you would any other jig. I used to guide on Minnewanka and it's true what was said about the banana weights. We would paint them white and add a couple black or red dots. Experiment with numbers and sizes of hooks. A single treble hook works well.