PDA

View Full Version : Newel walleye tourney for SAWT this year

npauls
04-26-2021, 10:12 PM
Have a look at the schedule changes for this tournament season. Yes you are reading that right. There is a tournament be held at newel, rolling hills, and scope. SAWT.CA

Max boats is 80 for each tourney so get your entries in as soon as possible.

huntsfurfish
04-26-2021, 11:38 PM
That sounds interesting.

Jims83cj5
04-27-2021, 06:34 AM
That sounds great

WayneChristie
04-27-2021, 12:12 PM
Just my opinion but why would a tournament with 80 boats be allowed on a small reservoir with protected nesting islands? Even a half mile protected perimeter isn't going to give the birds a lot of space. Then again they are mostly cormorants so the heck with them. Killemall!

Poppa
04-27-2021, 03:00 PM
Two reservoirs I'm becoming very familiar with, but man...those entry fees are just crazy to me. Unless you have a sponsor....

TROLLER
04-27-2021, 03:54 PM
the way I read it is the June 4-5 is at either Newell, rolling hills or scope

How they gonna manage that. Still shows Chinn and Fourty Mile as tourny days. Very consfusing to say the least.

pikergolf
04-27-2021, 04:28 PM
Can you even get a boat on Scope?

WayneChristie
04-27-2021, 05:43 PM
Can you even get a boat on Scope?

barely, theres a shallower water launch they put in a couple years ago. I doubt it sees 80 boats a season much less for a tournament.

pikergolf
04-27-2021, 07:18 PM
barely, theres a shallower water launch they put in a couple years ago. I doubt it sees 80 boats a season much less for a tournament.

I was looking for a place to launch my tinner, found nothing unless you launch in the ditch on the south road. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

WayneChristie
04-27-2021, 07:35 PM
I was looking for a place to launch my tinner, found nothing unless you launch in the ditch on the south road. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

its on the south side, off one of the wells I think, I was just popping gophers over there not long ago and I couldnt even see the trail to the launch.:thinking-006:

old dog
04-27-2021, 08:00 PM
Totally the wrong thing to do at Newell. Iam sure there will be many fish killed due to poor handling and depth of water caught in.

Walleyedude
04-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Totally the wrong thing to do at Newell. Iam sure there will be many fish killed due to poor handling and depth of water caught in.

X2.

I’m a tournament angler, I love fishing them, but there’s a time and a place.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think Newell is the place.

Jims83cj5
04-27-2021, 09:36 PM
I would go but I don’t have a partner, I do have a boat and a outfitters tent

Jims83cj5
04-27-2021, 09:37 PM
X2.

I’m a tournament angler, I love fishing them, but there’s a time and a place.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think Newell is the place.

So,,, where is the place

npauls
04-27-2021, 09:41 PM
Read the presidents letter and the rules to answer your questions. There is a 30 feet deep max depth for fishing. There will also be marshall boats on all lakes to make sure people are following the rules. These are catch, record, release tournies so the fish is released right away and not sitting in a livewell.

As for the 3 lakes for 1 tourney. That is what is needed to get away from needing to apply for permits which wont be handed out for newel. I highly doubt anyone will fish scope for the tourney when you have newel and rolling hills available.

Go to www.sawt.ca and read the letter and rules. It will answer most questions.

fish99
04-28-2021, 08:57 AM
Two reservoirs I'm becoming very familiar with, but man...those entry fees are just crazy to me. Unless you have a sponsor....

they used to be $500. per boat per tournament

deschambault
04-28-2021, 03:10 PM
Any idea where they will be holding the tournament? I booked a camping spot at Kinbrook Island during the week ending Friday June 4 hoping to fill some walleye tags I'm hoping to get (I know a lot of hoping) and can't imagine the boat ramp lineup if 80 boats launch for a pre fish from the park. Also, the park if pretty full so I'm not sure where the fisherpeople would stay.

HuyFishin
04-28-2021, 04:10 PM
they used to be $500. per boat per tournament

must be a covid discount :)

Elchinodiablo
04-28-2021, 04:21 PM
Is there a prize breakdown? With that kind of entry fee the payouts must be big.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

old dog
04-28-2021, 10:08 PM
Read the presidents letter and the rules to answer your questions. There is a 30 feet deep max depth for fishing. There will also be marshall boats on all lakes to make sure people are following the rules. These are catch, record, release tournies so the fish is released right away and not sitting in a livewell.

As for the 3 lakes for 1 tourney. That is what is needed to get away from needing to apply for permits which wont be handed out for newel. I highly doubt anyone will fish scope for the tourney when you have newel and rolling hills available.

Go to www.sawt.ca and read the letter and rules. It will answer most questions.

If walleye only lived at 30’ it would be ok but they don’t. Too many times they come up from deeper waters to grab that hook. And now that walleye is in trouble And Iam sure u know that. Newell has some real sharp drop offs and I have seen it happen too many times. It’s happened to myself and I limit my depth a lot shallower than 30’ PS how r they going to monitor if you r shallower than 30 feet. Mapping details r not that accurate and very based on your personal maps

WinefredCommander
04-28-2021, 10:18 PM
Not good. This could get ugly. Recreational anglers. Recreational boats. 80 boat tournament. Que the melee.

Couleestalker
04-29-2021, 08:05 AM
All I can say is good luck finding parking.

Jims83cj5
04-30-2021, 08:56 PM
Any locals going

Jims83cj5
04-30-2021, 08:57 PM
Anyone sign up yet

thenaturalwoodsman
04-30-2021, 09:22 PM
Anyone sign up yet

We got signed up with a confirmation email on Tuesday! I would think this tournament fills up.

Jims83cj5
04-30-2021, 09:36 PM
We got signed up with a confirmation email on Tuesday! I would think this tournament fills up.

Was it Carla you emailed

thenaturalwoodsman
04-30-2021, 09:41 PM
Was it Carla you emailed

Yes I just emailed the registration form and etransfer payment at the same time

Wes_G
05-01-2021, 12:17 AM
Any idea where they will be holding the tournament? I booked a camping spot at Kinbrook Island during the week ending Friday June 4 hoping to fill some walleye tags I'm hoping to get (I know a lot of hoping) and can't imagine the boat ramp lineup if 80 boats launch for a pre fish from the park. Also, the park if pretty full so I'm not sure where the fisherpeople would stay.

You can launch/trailer 4 boats at a time from that launch if the person driving the vehicle didn't go right down the center.

deschambault
05-01-2021, 07:57 AM
I agree but my personal experience watching people at boat ramps doesn't make me that optimistic.

thenaturalwoodsman
05-01-2021, 08:27 AM
I agree but my personal experience watching people at boat ramps doesn't make me that optimistic.

90% of these guys know what they are doing and are super fast, this is not your 2 trips to the lake a year and the motor wont start crew.... But yes boat ramps are a fun place to watch!

WayneChristie
05-01-2021, 09:39 AM
90% of these guys know what they are doing and are super fast, this is not your 2 trips to the lake a year and the motor wont start crew.... But yes boat ramps are a fun place to watch!

Don't forget this is a very popular lake no chance it will only be tournament anglers launching boats .

Jims83cj5
05-01-2021, 09:54 AM
Don't forget this is a very popular lake no chance it will only be tournament anglers launching boats .

Don’t forget, it’s also at Rolling hills too, they have a really nice launch too, not as good as Newell but it’s nice, I imagine the majority will be at Newell tho.

thenaturalwoodsman
05-01-2021, 10:27 AM

With the actual tournament days falling on Friday and Saturday and it’s June kids are still in school, combined with the hours these events run I don’t think it will be to bad. Most non tournament boaters are not launching boats at 6am on either of those days at any of those lakes. Also if there is bad weather or wind most recreational boaters won’t be there.

mossyfoot
05-01-2021, 10:40 AM
I wouldn’t bat an eye at fishing scope. I know it’s not Newell but we catch good walleye all winter there and you would more than likely be alone. Partner and I have already pre registered I guess we will see how it goes.

Wes_G
05-02-2021, 12:06 AM
I wouldn’t bat an eye at fishing scope. I know it’s not Newell but we catch good walleye all winter there and you would more than likely be alone. Partner and I have already pre registered I guess we will see how it goes.

Where is Scope?

Jims83cj5
05-02-2021, 08:31 AM
Where is Scope?

Just south of Hays

Fishtracker
05-02-2021, 11:25 AM
You can launch/trailer 4 boats at a time from that launch if the person driving the vehicle didn't go right down the center.

Its not the launch that is the problem, its the dock. Its a shame, they built such a nice launch, but the dock is way to small with no other mooring area on a very popular lake.

The line ups are sometimes because after you launch, and tie up on the dock and wait for other guy to park the truck and get in the boat. The dock is so short, you are still blocking from others launching.

IMO, this tournament should be using the EID launch on north end of lake, not the provincial park launch.

thenaturalwoodsman
05-02-2021, 01:21 PM
Its not the launch that is the problem, its the dock. Its a shame, they built such a nice launch, but the dock is way to small with no other mooring area on a very popular lake.

The line ups are sometimes because after you launch, and tie up on the dock and wait for other guy to park the truck and get in the boat. The dock is so short, you are still blocking from others launching.

IMO, this tournament should be using the EID launch on north end of lake, not the provincial park launch.

Your second sentence is sure to cause a line up anywhere at any launch. The key is don't tie your boat up to any dock because as you clearly state you will be blocking others from launching....... Why not idle around out of the way and wait for your your guy to come back from parking the truck, and then pull back in when the timing is right to pick him up?

Wes_G
05-02-2021, 07:20 PM
EXACTLY!! Last year the lunch had 2 out of a possible 4 people launching. The 2 guys in front of me did not seem to want to launch with others so I pulled around them, launched, parked on the beach, went back to the truck and pulled it out of the water and parked. Went back to the boat and left. And none of them even moved! I did this all by myself, its not difficult!

Habfan
05-02-2021, 09:40 PM
Your second sentence is sure to cause a line up anywhere at any launch. The key is don't tie your boat up to any dock because as you clearly state you will be blocking others from launching....... Why not idle around out of the way and wait for your your guy to come back from parking the truck, and then pull back in when the timing is right to pick him up?

It’s amazing how many people don’t get this concept.

deschambault
05-02-2021, 10:06 PM
I agree totally but it is hard to fix stupid.

fish99
05-03-2021, 07:44 PM
the shore line by the launch and break wall is deep enough to pull into and pick up passengers

Fishtracker
05-03-2021, 09:32 PM
EXACTLY!! Last year the lunch had 2 out of a possible 4 people launching. The 2 guys in front of me did not seem to want to launch with others so I pulled around them, launched, parked on the beach, went back to the truck and pulled it out of the water and parked. Went back to the boat and left. And none of them even moved! I did this all by myself, its not difficult!

Yes, its usually not difficult and out of probably over 100 launches at Newell over the years, I have maybe tied up to the dock 5-6 times due to hard NE wind blowing into the launch and shoreline where you can usually pull in to pick up. But, not everyone is able to do this for various reasons.

Many rec boaters have trouble just backing the truck up with the boat trailer. I've seen guys in the water up to their chest when trying to launch or load there boat. My father's better half cannot jump in the boat, due to a bad hip, so they absolutely need the dock.

Before you judge, maybe take a minute and think about why that person is doing what they are doing.

Last May, seen the boat parking lot full by 10 am on a nice weekend. Tourney guys better pray for bad weather that weekend or pack a lunch for the line up to launch & find parking.

npauls
05-03-2021, 10:52 PM
Yes, its usually not difficult and out of probably over 100 launches at Newell over the years, I have maybe tied up to the dock 5-6 times due to hard NE wind blowing into the launch and shoreline where you can usually pull in to pick up. But, not everyone is able to do this for various reasons.

Many rec boaters have trouble just backing the truck up with the boat trailer. I've seen guys in the water up to their chest when trying to launch or load there boat. My father's better half cannot jump in the boat, due to a bad hip, so they absolutely need the dock.

Before you judge, maybe take a minute and think about why that person is doing what they are doing.

Last May, seen the boat parking lot full by 10 am on a nice weekend. Tourney guys better pray for bad weather that weekend or pack a lunch for the line up to launch & find parking.

Tourney guys will be launched and ready for take off by 6am each day. By the time the rec boaters hit the water. The competitive anglers will have been fishing for at least 4 hours. We will also be off of the water by the mid afternoon.

npauls
05-06-2021, 08:47 PM
Get your entries in as soon as possible. Last i heard was that they were approaching 60 team entries so far and are capping it at 80 teams for the tourney.

roper1
06-10-2021, 08:09 PM
So how did it go ? Did they get 80 boats ? Who won it ? Did the crappy weather Saturday mess it up ? We hit McGregor Sunday, it was very quiet, boats or fish.

deschambault
06-11-2021, 09:54 AM
I'd be interested also hearing what happened. We were out earlier that week and filled our tags. Several times boats would come speeding up close to us while we bottom bounced and then speed away. I assume they were scouting for the tournament. We left early Thursday morning before the hordes arrived.

huntsfurfish
06-11-2021, 04:06 PM
What you are looking for is here:

https://sawt.ca/

walleyechaser
06-11-2021, 04:29 PM
I heard some pigs were caught. Some well over 70cm

pikeman06
06-11-2021, 06:22 PM
Can't believe how low the payouts are! Take a lil while to pay those $60,000 dollar boats off at that rate!!

Jims83cj5
06-11-2021, 09:51 PM
Can't believe how low the payouts are! Take a lil while to pay those $60,000 dollar boats off at that rate!!

Lmao, I bet lots of them wish that’s all the boats cost

deschambault
06-12-2021, 08:44 AM
30 years ago you could get one for $60k, not in 2020. FYI the biggest walleye we caught (and released) was 69 cm that Wednesday so I don't doubt several in the 70+ range would be caught by 80 boats.

pikeman06
06-12-2021, 10:23 AM
That's even better!!! Do those fancy rigs come with a calculator bahaha. I'll stick to my day job. Lol.