PDA

View Full Version : Website to search fishing regs

temperoo
04-28-2021, 09:17 PM
While doing some trip planning for the spring/summer, I got frustrated having to sift through the different regs PDFs. I created a website to easily lookup the different water bodies in the province. This isn't trying to replace the official site by any means, but an easy way to do some trip planning this summer.

https://www.abfishing.ca

I would love some feedback on what you think.

calgarygringo
04-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Just use the search function of the PDF reader and it will take you there.

While doing some trip planning for the spring/summer, I got frustrated having to sift through the different regs PDFs. I created a website to easily lookup the different water bodies in the province. This isn't trying to replace the official site by any means, but an easy way to do some trip planning this summer.

swabs24
04-28-2021, 09:37 PM
Big thanks for doing this. Makes my life easier.

Nick

temperoo
04-28-2021, 09:49 PM
Just use the search function of the PDF reader and it will take you there.

Yes I'm aware about ctrl+f. I mean having to search across different zones. Alberta regs used to have a search tool on their website but took it down.

calgarygringo
04-28-2021, 09:58 PM
Just click the magnifier at the top of your pdf reader if you are not on a keyboard. I have used it for years and finds stuff easy.

Saying that your spreadsheet works well.

Yes I'm aware about ctrl+f. I mean having to search across different zones. Alberta regs used to have a search tool on their website but took it down.

temperoo
04-29-2021, 07:35 AM
Thanks, as a nerd I created this site mostly for myself, but wanted to share it with others in case they find it useful.

trigger7mm
04-29-2021, 08:00 AM
For anybody who is new to Alberta or even to fishing, the regs can certainly be a bit confusing. If you have any questions about something, you can always call one of the fish and wildlife offices in the province, and they will help you out. They are always ready to answer any of your questions. You can also just take some spare time and read through the whole regs booklet and become familiar with the rules. You even get to read the same old generic articles that T.J. Schwanky and Brad Fenson stick in there every year. Best not to ask for answers on this forum, you’re likely going to get roasted.

fisher69
04-29-2021, 08:42 AM
hey this is awesome. i was thinking about doing something like this but never got around to it. there used to be a site like this but they didn't keep it updated regularly and eventually they got shut down for having so much wrong information on it. so my big question to you is, did you enter all this information manually, or did you setup a way to automatically parse the pdfs from the official regulation site?

temperoo
04-29-2021, 08:56 AM
hey this is awesome. i was thinking about doing something like this but never got around to it. there used to be a site like this but they didn't keep it updated regularly and eventually they got shut down for having so much wrong information on it. so my big question to you is, did you enter all this information manually, or did you setup a way to automatically parse the pdfs from the official regulation site?

Hey Thanks. Yeah I'm really using this on my own to quickly scan across the different waterbodies. I set up a script so all the pdfs are parsed in one go, so whenever the rule changes come down it's very easy to update. I then manually checked through the output to make sure it read it correctly.

Cigarguy
04-29-2021, 09:31 AM
Good stuff man. This is useful.

TrollGRG
04-29-2021, 09:54 AM
I had a good look at it and I love it. Very simple and easy to use with instant access to the official web site if needed.

I know how to use the PDF version (in case those diehards think me a fool) but I like this better.

Good work - thanks

Curado
05-07-2021, 03:31 PM

Great job! Thank you so much! :sLo_BigBearHug: