PDA

View Full Version : 4 days 3 lakes 1 river 1950 KM....

Sir. Kenneth
08-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Well... spent the last 4 days traveling to a number of different lakes in the north and i must say i am seriously dissapointed with how badly netted some of these lakes must be? We were trying to hit up some lakes that were far away from all major city centres with decent walleye retention (3 over 50cm). The one lake i was very hopeful for was Frog lake near Bonneville. The size of this lake and the fact that you could keep 3 per day i though must be good fishing. We didnt catch a single dang fish out of that lake and i probably only marked 10 fish on the fish finder after being out there for 7 hours! All in all, we got a total of 16 fish in the four days. I did have a great time however i sure wish somebody would do something about the apparent way over-netting of some of our precious resources!!!! :mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:

-JR-
08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Dear Sir
The fishing has been very poor in many lakes the past few weeks.
The fish we have pulled in had no teeth or just one side of the mouth ,hopfully by next weekend the fall teeth will be grown in .

huntsfurfish
08-24-2009, 04:42 PM
:)

Sir. Kenneth
08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Dear Sir
The fishing has been very poor in many lakes the past few weeks.
The fish we have pulled in had no teeth or just one side of the mouth ,hopfully by next weekend the fall teeth will be grown in .

LOL Yes the fishing has been slow, but more importantly what put me off was the lack of fish i saw on the finder. Even if the bite is slow the fish don't just dissapear! Unless they were all swimming in a school just ahead of my boat... they werent there!

-JR-
08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
They are more than likly just laying on the bottom,saving energy .
fish finder show alot of rocks !

mikeo2
08-24-2009, 04:53 PM

HAHA, I hope your not being serious.

-JR-
08-24-2009, 05:03 PM
You must be new to fishing or just never caught fish and looked for teeth.
Mostly in pike .

dcf
08-24-2009, 05:10 PM
yup, lots of netting around here. really ruins good lakes. doesn't matter how small the lake is, theres likely a net in it......

jeffrey929
08-24-2009, 05:38 PM
took this from the DNR website:

What happens to the teeth of northern pike in winter? I have heard people say the fish lose their teeth in February and don't bite as often on bait. Others have said that the teeth in some fish appear to be loose at this time of year.

John Berklich, Hibbing

There's a long-standing belief, likely begun by ancient anglers in search of an excuse for their lousy luck, that northern pike lose teeth at certain times of the year. In fact, this is nothing but a fishy folk tale. According to DNR fish biologist Don Pereira, northerns may occasionally lose teeth in an unfortunate run-in with particularly tough prey or bait, but there's no evidence they do so regularly. For more on northern pike, see "For the Love of Pike" (May-June 2003).

mikeo2
08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
yep you're right, never caught a fish in my life. As stated, fish dont lose their teeth every year and regrow them.

-JR-
08-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I guess I will be taking some close up pictures with and without teeth.

baitfisher83
08-24-2009, 07:29 PM
I guess I will be taking some close up pictures with and without teeth.

of you or the fish?? :lol: dont forget to post them