PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Draw

RACKER
05-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Well this is the first year I was not awarded B tags for Pigeon. I was curious to know how everyone else did. I have not checked the draw numbers but I’m guessing if less tags are given out on Pigeon there will be more pressure now on Buck ,Sylvan and Gull. Good luck to all on opening day.

dr.crentist
05-05-2021, 04:04 PM
Huge bummer. We weren't awarded anything for Pigeon, two kids and myself. Last year we had a mix of A and B, this year nothing. A little odd, a little upset.

Bolete
05-05-2021, 04:11 PM
No for us either.

fishtank
05-05-2021, 04:12 PM
FYI there are lots of undersubscribe B for lac st Anne, I think over 3600 .

deschambault
05-05-2021, 04:31 PM
Got class A for Newell. My wife and I were priority 2 which is where we were the last time we got tags. It seems that every 3 years we can eat a couple of southern Alberta walleyes, can't wait.

ragweed
05-05-2021, 04:46 PM
Silly rookie question. Is there only one draw per year? Ie: not drawn this year = wait until next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worm
05-05-2021, 05:03 PM
Only one draw a year but if not successful you can pick up undersubscribed tags. Lots of those left in certain lakes right now.

Lac Ste Anne. Interesting how many tags they gave out. Seems like too many to me but I'm not a bio. Maybe they are intentionally thinning out the walleye so the pike will do better.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

BigPapaBear
05-05-2021, 05:05 PM
3 people here and no tags either

ragweed
05-05-2021, 05:06 PM
Sorry. Double post.

ragweed
05-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Thanks worm.

timsesink
05-05-2021, 05:15 PM
Tags for Pigeon Lake were massively reduced this year

astepanuk
05-05-2021, 05:30 PM
Picked up a couple B class tags for the daughter and I for Baptiste lake!

nimrod
05-05-2021, 05:40 PM
I was awarded for my walleye draw, just don't know where the 61 lake is, its either pigeon to lac Sainte Ann

DiabeticKripple
05-05-2021, 05:44 PM
I got class B for Pigeon. Been a few years since I’ve been there. Looking forward to it!

A.DENG
05-05-2021, 06:14 PM
awarded class B at Newell. Never caught a slot B walleye at Newell but 25"+. :shark:

Curtsyneil
05-05-2021, 06:27 PM
It’s not the first time that I havnt bin drawn for walleyes on pigeon. Building priority for a fish is a joke !! It’s not like there trophy fish swimming in the lake anymore other than the whites. Like racker said just goin to put pressure on other central Alberta lakes that actually allow you to harvest a 17 inch fish. They gotta get this figured out because bein honest it’s just total bs, I really don’t think they have any idea how to run this lake, just my opinion.

fish99
05-05-2021, 06:44 PM
as for pigeon lake . fish the lake whites, way better fight , average is over 6 lbs and if you like to eat fish you can keep them.

nimrod
05-05-2021, 06:55 PM
I was awarded for my walleye draw, just don't know where the 61 lake is, its either pigeon to lac Sainte Ann

I now see Ill be fishing for walleye on Lac St Ann

Curtsyneil
05-05-2021, 06:59 PM
Yeah that’s great if you like eating whites. But let me as you a question on how successful are you catching whites in the spring and summer at pigeon lake ? Lol.

LEGZ
05-05-2021, 08:43 PM
Got class B for Long Lake.

deschambault
05-05-2021, 09:11 PM
awarded class B at Newell. Never caught a slot B walleye at Newell but 25"+. :shark:

Try east shore between the park and jackfish Bay.

boonedocks
05-05-2021, 09:41 PM
Family of four here all drawn for wabamun C class. Time to start thinning em out! Bonk bonk bonk

TBark
05-05-2021, 10:54 PM
Class B for Long for myself and the kid,
Wife got C and a buddy got A.
My P for class A moves to a P7 next year.

TBark

dfrobert
05-05-2021, 10:58 PM
Tags for Pigeon Lake were massively reduced this year

Any idea why?

Looks like they increased the tags for Lac Ste Anne a lot.

2021 walleye draw summary is already available.

briangeorge
05-06-2021, 06:50 AM
Its really funny because this is the first year in a long time I never applied for Pigeon instead chose A tags for Lac Ste. Anne for Myself and Wife. We were awarded the tags and a buddy of mine also got the A's for Lac Ste. Anne. I think there is something funny going on with Pigeon for sure.

58thecat
05-06-2021, 07:37 AM
Going hungry this summer:(

elkhunter11
05-06-2021, 07:37 AM
Myself and a friend, and all of his family members all drew B tags for Lac St Anne. As easy as they are to catch, at least we get to keep some.

roosterman
05-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Eight people I know of applied for Pigeon B - all shut out. Less tags/only 2 tags for B. WTF. Instead of grabbing cash they should go to school on other Provinces. Not too many arguements against slot limit system.

simpatico
05-06-2021, 11:14 AM
My family of 4 all got our draws at Lac Ste Anne. 3 Class A on zero priority and 3 Class B.

Does anyone know if the dock is going back up at Westcove? My last trip to Ste Anne in June last year, the dock was floating 10 feet off shore due to the high water levels. Then I heard the dock was un-usable later in the season.

Only 9 more days. Tight lines everyone!

Stay Safe.
Tony

Fowlow
05-06-2021, 11:30 AM
The water level in west cove is way down this year not sure if the dock will even be going in but the boat launch Is basically on shore.

SNAPFisher
05-06-2021, 11:40 AM
Both the wife and I got class B at Pigeon :)

I'm a little confused about those complaining about not getting Class Bs. If you knew there were few tags when you applied, then why the surprise now? I'm surprised we got them myself but also had St. Anne as a 2nd choice anyways. If all you had is one choice and that was Pigeon and you knew the tags were reduced you only have yourself to blame for making the choice.

caltheim
05-06-2021, 12:21 PM
I agree with most about Pigeon, strange this year for sure. I've been selected there every year for the past few years, and put in again this year, but got nothing.

I get that there were fewer tags drawn, but I'm not sure that these quantities were known prior to the results being posted. I guess as a "2" in the B's I was one of the 67 that weren't successful.

I'm shocked that they only drew 290 B tags for walleye. MOST of the walleye we catch out of Pigeon are in the B size, and 290 is insignificant, not sure what the strategy is here.

I also was under the impression that there were going to be C class available at Pigeon, but don't see any in the Undersubscribed - can anyone shed any light on this?

There are tons of walleye in Pigeon, and to give out less that 1500 tags doesn't make sense.

Mayhem
05-06-2021, 06:08 PM
Both the wife and I got class B at Pigeon :)

I'm a little confused about those complaining about not getting Class Bs. If you knew there were few tags when you applied, then why the surprise now? I'm surprised we got them myself but also had St. Anne as a 2nd choice anyways. If all you had is one choice and that was Pigeon and you knew the tags were reduced you only have yourself to blame for making the choice.

Yep...Applied for B at Pigeon with second choice Long. Saw the allotted tags, didn't expect to get either and sure enough was unsuccessful. I'll just pick up undersubscribed B at Ste Anne.

TBark
05-06-2021, 11:07 PM
Our B tags for Long Lake were P5’s, 125 B’s issued.

TBark

briangeorge
05-07-2021, 07:25 AM
This is only my opinion from fishing Pigeon last summer. We had trouble finding A size but tons of B size. I believe that is why they awarded more A Tags then B Tags and also why they did not offer any C Tags. They want to take some fishing pressure off the B size. Only my Opinion.

Weaselcreek
05-07-2021, 09:07 AM
My wife, daughter and I (Group Draw) got Class B at Long Lake on a Priority 2. My son got Class B at Long Lake on priory 3. We all had Class C last year, nice to have tags 2 years in a row, just not sure how this draw is working when we are getting drawn on Priority 2?

fish99
05-07-2021, 09:41 AM
Yeah that’s great if you like eating whites. But let me as you a question on how successful are you catching whites in the spring and summer at pigeon lake ? Lol.

did well our first winter targeting whites , caught one last summer by accident .
going to give it a good try this summer, the fight of a 6 pound white is equal to or better then a 6 pound trout. pure power.

Angler2
05-07-2021, 12:22 PM
Applied for A at Pigeon (second choice Lac St Anne) and B's Pigeon (wife) Got nada.
Had no trouble getting my A's last year at Pigeon.

mulio
05-08-2021, 08:43 AM
I didn't get mine either.
Very disapointed.
I'm interested to see what data they used if they reduced the number of tags as we were having 50 fish days in the summer.

Smoky buck
05-08-2021, 09:40 AM
No tags for me but I didn’t apply so can’t expect anything different lol

Just can’t support this system but congrats to those who got what the draw they dreamed of

AK47
05-08-2021, 10:06 AM
Just can’t support this system but congrats to those who got what the draw they dreamed of

Same. If people keep supporting this we will soon have no lakes were you can keep walleye without a tag. Then it will be rivers turn. Just sad.

SNAPFisher
05-08-2021, 11:57 AM
Same. If people keep supporting this we will soon have no lakes were you can keep walleye without a tag. Then it will be rivers turn. Just sad.

They open a whole bunch of lakes to walleye retention without tags and it is still not good enough??

Oh, your from Calgary...that explains it. No hockey team and tag lakes only. Sorry about your luck :lol:

deschambault
05-08-2021, 02:17 PM
At least our football team has a name. Sorry, couldn't resist.

curtis_rak
05-08-2021, 06:30 PM
3 of us in our house - 2 got class A and 1 got class B all at ste Anne.

A.DENG
05-08-2021, 10:30 PM
3 of us in our house - 2 got class A and 1 got class B all at ste Anne.

Are you all in the same group for one draw?

AK47
05-10-2021, 09:23 AM
They open a whole bunch of lakes to walleye retention without tags and it is still not good enough??

Oh, your from Calgary...that explains it. No hockey team and tag lakes only. Sorry about your luck :lol:

It has nothing to do with where I am from and why you need to throw in the stupid hockey comment?
You pay for fishing license, VIN card and then they want you to pay for a tag to keep one or two walleye from walleye overpopulated lakes? I would understand some exclusive/expensive tag for keeping a sturgeon or some other rare fish... but walleye? Makes no sense whatsoever.

deschambault
05-10-2021, 07:46 PM
C'mon have a sense of humor, our hockey team does suck and the cost of a license and win card are pretty small in the grand scheme of things. I do agree that it seems ridiculous that a lake like Crawling Valley can't handle a harvest of one fish with a tight slot like a class B. I have been told however by an inside source that it will never happen and I believe it. That's why I go to Sask and BC each summer to eat a walleye and smoke a trout. My perspective is tags are fine but at least allow one per month, so I can have a fish fry with my grandson.

stiknfish
05-11-2021, 05:59 AM
It has nothing to do with where I am from and why you need to throw in the stupid hockey comment?
You pay for fishing license, VIN card and then they want you to pay for a tag to keep one or two walleye from walleye overpopulated lakes? I would understand some exclusive/expensive tag for keeping a sturgeon or some other rare fish... but walleye? Makes no sense whatsoever.

He likes to berate people when they have a different opinion than him ..Classic pos

wind drift
05-11-2021, 07:11 AM
C'mon have a sense of humor, our hockey team does suck and the cost of a license and win card are pretty small in the grand scheme of things. I do agree that it seems ridiculous that a lake like Crawling Valley can't handle a harvest of one fish with a tight slot like a class B. I have been told however by an inside source that it will never happen and I believe it. That's why I go to Sask and BC each summer to eat a walleye and smoke a trout. My perspective is tags are fine but at least allow one per month, so I can have a fish fry with my grandson.

It looks like Crawling Valley hasn’t been surveyed since 2015. Wasn’t great then.
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/c49847bb-d6dd-4f9b-b2c6-c955a7446bf2/resource/302f2b33-8592-410a-972a-adb62430e284/download/crawlingvalleyres-fallindexnettingreport-2015.pdf
About time it gets surveyed again.

I think it would be hard for any reservoir with big water level changes to have consistent spawning. Need to have tight control on the number of adult fish that get taken out yearly, with a margin of error for a poor spawning season.

deschambault
05-11-2021, 07:38 AM
CV stays fairly full year round and is full of fish, but I have been told F&W will never open it and I believe that.

SNAPFisher
05-12-2021, 07:57 AM

Awww, a little intense hey.

If you don't support, don't. Where you cross a line is complaining about people that do participate. And you will hear about that when you do - rightfully so.

You might be shocked but decisions are being made using science. Not someone's opinion on a forum.

They opened quite a lot of lakes to slots. Not many in the South - one can speculate on that. Lakes that continue to have tags, and there are less of them now then before, are managed differently due to the location, access, etc. Is it perfect, nope. But they will continue to use science as a means to adjust. I'm sure the tag system will morph with those changes as will non-tag slot lakes.

SNAPFisher
05-12-2021, 08:02 AM
He likes to berate people when they have a different opinion than him ..Classic pos

The berating started with AK explaining that people should not support the tag system. And, was completely off that tags are taking over when changes have been made in the opposite direction. Typical complain only mentality.

Only thing you got "stik" is one up your you know what.

AK47
05-12-2021, 08:41 AM
You might be shocked but decisions are being made using science.

Show me any scientific link justifying tag system for walleye in Alberta. I would love to read it.

AK47
05-12-2021, 08:50 AM
Where you cross a line is complaining about people that do participate. And you will hear about that when you do - rightfully so.

Where you cross the line is with stereotypes about where people are from or absolutely ridiculous hockey comments. And you will hear about it when you do - rightfully so.

wind drift
05-12-2021, 01:22 PM
Show me any scientific link justifying tag system for walleye in Alberta. I would love to read it.

Do you mean the science of supply and demand? I think that’s just basic economics, and we can adapt it to use fish instead of dollars.

For info, I guess you can start at the link in the sticky thread: https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/fisheries-management/default.aspx and you can always choose to talk to a biologist, but you seem pretty positional, so I’m not sure if more information will change that.

I do find it interesting that the basic need to manage demand to a level at or below supply is such a hard thing for us anglers to accept. For hunters, it seems pretty agreeable to tightly control antelope & moose harvest, for example. It probably has much to do with not being able to actually see the fish in a lake and the myths and mysteries that we perpetuate through our contact with them. That, plus we usually only consider our own fishing and can’t account for all the other fishing that happens. So, we personally don’t really have a good grasp of supply or demand. We need science that’s been designed to measure those things.

Evidence of depleted fish populations is all around us globally, but we weirdly still think there are more fish, we just haven’t found them yet.

SNAPFisher
05-12-2021, 02:02 PM
Where you cross the line is with stereotypes about where people are from or absolutely ridiculous hockey comments. And you will hear about it when you do - rightfully so.

Sorry for having a sense of humor. Even if it is true :lol:

SNAPFisher
05-12-2021, 02:06 PM
Thanks Windrift, that is the link I was looking for.

AK, not sure if you attended the sessions regarding fisheries. There was a quite a bit of discussion around this subject and the science presented. Personally I would have preferred a better "open" two-way dialogue but still find some of the materials a good read. All the sessions were recorded if interested.

AK47
05-12-2021, 03:59 PM
Do you mean the science of supply and demand? I think that’s just basic economics, and we can adapt it to use fish instead of dollars.

For info, I guess you can start at the link in the sticky thread: https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/fisheries-management/default.aspx and you can always choose to talk to a biologist, but you seem pretty positional, so I’m not sure if more information will change that.

I read this management plan for both walleye and pike and I just respectfully disagree with it. Slot size limits and limited retention is the way to go in those overpopulated lakes for both walleye and pike. Works well in numerous lakes already - would work the same way in Pigeon, Newell or other tag lake.

Smoky buck
05-12-2021, 04:50 PM

I do find it interesting that the basic need to manage demand to a level at or below supply is such a hard thing for us anglers to accept. For hunters, it seems pretty agreeable to tightly control antelope & moose harvest, for example. It probably has much to do with not being able to actually see the fish in a lake and the myths and mysteries that we perpetuate through our contact with them. That, plus we usually only consider our own fishing and can’t account for all the other fishing that happens. So, we personally don’t really have a good grasp of supply or demand. We need science that’s been designed to measure those things.

Evidence of depleted fish populations is all around us globally, but we weirdly still think there are more fish, we just haven’t found them yet.

Anyone who understands wildlife/fisheries management knows it is all about controlling how you achieve your harvest goals. How this number is achieved can vary tag/draw systems are just one way, shorter seasons another, limiting size/age, and I could keep going

No argument that Alberta can only sustain limited harvest but I don’t agree for one second tags are the only way

But this dead horse gets beat here all the time and nothing will change through this forum

I won’t apply for tags ever but keeping fish is of little importance to my fishing so if it stays tag it won’t effect my fishing. I do believe Alberta’s fisheries management is a lazy joke in many ways though

AK47
05-12-2021, 05:48 PM
No argument that Alberta can only sustain limited harvest but I don’t agree for one second tags are the only way

If tags would be about proper walleye control and sustainability they would be free and available as a lottery winning to all licensed fishermen. Now it is just a money grab under fancy name of " sustainable harvest license". Catching and releasing 50 walleye a day in Pigeon for example would be the same damage as keeping one walleye in slot size given hooking mortality.

SNAPFisher
05-12-2021, 07:44 PM
If tags would be about proper walleye control and sustainability they would be free and available as a lottery winning to all licensed fishermen. Now it is just a money grab under fancy name of " sustainable harvest license". Catching and releasing 50 walleye a day in Pigeon for example would be the same damage as keeping one walleye in slot size given hooking mortality.

Money grab...lol
Now that is another comment that gets old on here.

Do some math:
3836 Class A tags
3697 Class B tags
2347 Class C tags

Entry cost $3.52 plus tax
There is a whopping $36.5K

If all tags are actually purchased at $11 plus tax
There is another whopping $114K

For arguments sake, round it up to $150K total - All in!

What do you think it costs for the tags themselves, the wires and costs to administer the program? Still think that it is a "money grab"?

One thing is certain, tags do not exist to make money.

Also a bit of stretch to compare tags and slots and hooking mortality. People fish how they fish regardless of tags or slots. C&R fishermen it makes no difference. You are only looking at it from your own point of view.

SNAPFisher
05-12-2021, 07:59 PM

Money grab...lol
That is getting old on here as well.

Do the math.
29431 applicants this year @ $3.52 plus tax
9880 successful applicants @ $11 plus tax (assuming everyone decides to purchase the tags)

For arguments sake, round that up to $225K total. What do you think it costs for the tags, wires, and costs to administer (salaries, vendor fees, etc.) the program. Still think it is a "money grab"?

One thing that the tag system is not is a money maker.

highwood
05-12-2021, 09:02 PM
Money grab...lol

Do the math.
9880 successful applicants @ $11 plus tax (assuming everyone decides to purchase the tags)

For arguments sake, round that up to $225K total. What do you think it costs for the tags, wires, and costs to administer (salaries, vendor fees, etc.) the program. Still think it is a "money grab"?

Preaching logic on AO forum is never a good idea Snap. I gave up on that about ten years ago.

Smoky buck
05-12-2021, 10:23 PM
Money grab...lol

Do the math.

Likely cost more then it brings in being a government program

SNAPFisher
05-13-2021, 10:56 AM
Likely cost more then it brings in being a government program

That certainly seems more likely to me as well.

Curtsyneil
05-13-2021, 12:40 PM
I don’t think it’s a money grab either but defiantly is funding for the walleye harvest program that has bin in order for the last 10 years at least. The real problem is funding for biologists and other sciences to do proper testing on these high pressures lakes in an accurate way to know forsure how many walleye are in those lakes and then possibly substain a slot size or daily limit. Until the Alberta government starts funding these programs and employ more people for these types of jobs it will not change. Go North catch, clean, and hear the grease popping!! I still do think building a priority for a fish is a joke! you should be getting successfull draws every year with no priority needed for the lake of your choice if you pay for the walleye tag harvest. Just my opinion tho cheers.

SNAPFisher
05-13-2021, 10:20 PM
I still do think building a priority for a fish is a joke! you should be getting successfull draws every year with no priority needed for the lake of your choice if you pay for the walleye tag harvest. Just my opinion tho cheers.

I know the priority building is annoying. While attempting to give more anglers a fair chance it is likely many of the same ones applying every year anyways.

Class C is first come first serve after this year. Maybe As and Bs will as well at some point.

Pikebreath
05-14-2021, 01:36 PM
One way to ensure an equitable first come first serve system is to only release "X" number of tags per week. That way there will always be available tags through the fishing season. Once you have pulled your tags you are done for the year. If you miss out on tags one week, you can keep trying in later weeks.

dr.crentist
05-17-2021, 04:32 PM
Gotta quick question.

I was looking for B tags for Lac Ste Anne and muddled my way through the ABRelm site, ordered some by emailing them. Wasn't sure how long it would take and I didn't want to miss out so I went to the Fishin Hole the next day and picked some up. Now the Relm issued tags show up, I cannot use them since I cannot buy a license for them, correct?

English Setter
05-18-2021, 11:23 AM
The tags are not valid until you register the number on them when you buy your walleye license. They can be used any time in the future that you become eligible for a licence that requires a tag. Keep them for next year. I keep a bunch on hand. When I wasn’t drawn this year I was able to purchase an undersubscribed licence without having to wait for tags in the mail. Good to know as they are first come first serve.