PDA

View Full Version : Leech Water Bodies

Whitetail200
05-13-2021, 07:23 PM
For those that are wanting to catch leeches , myself included for the first time . Not all ponds , slough areas or dugouts are going to hold leeches . Its a matter of searching & if you hit a good spot or two then you win the prize like some of the fortunate people that have posted . I've tried a slough I trap in & to my surprise nothing . Another one near a road has been drained out . Trying a couple others & a dugout & see what happens but if I strike out I'll be searching for a store with a supply . Hopefully

Red Bullets
05-13-2021, 09:07 PM
Some sluggish parkland creeks have leeches too. Leave a trap overnight in deep water near a beaver dam and see. When we used to play in the creeks leeches used to clamp on sometimes.

mikevv
05-13-2021, 09:35 PM
I have good luck in older, established storm water ponds in Lacombe where I live.(lots but quite small)
I also trap in borrow ponds in northern Ab. Lots of jumbo's. Look for bull rushes in clean water. You only have to have your trap in 18 inches of water.
Good luck.
Mike

Freedom55
05-14-2021, 07:45 AM
Unless you are in the northern portion of the province, that boat has sailed. But to the point, you must have a pond that does not freeze solid. Leeches go into the mud to 'hibernate' and frozen invertebrates do not emerge in the Spring to spawn. Come August and minnows are the preferred food source.

Free