PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day - How Did You Do ?

Zip-in-Z
05-15-2021, 08:19 PM
Sylvan opened today, nice bright blue Ab sky, 23C light to no wind at times, got a bit too much sun, not all that many guys/boats fishin and of course a few crazy's racing around.

Capt Scott Fishing Charters took me out & put me on active Whites all day, limited out in less than 1 hour, gave up at 17 Whites in net. Fished from 7 to 20 fow, not one Walleye or Pike, kept a few for the Mrs for a fish fry ..... amazing day with great company.

Cheers

D.

https://i.imgur.com/c682Pab.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Tc8eKat.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QQCsLNA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SPOX6tr.jpg

BanffJohn
05-15-2021, 08:35 PM
Looks like you had a beauty day. I’m coming up tomorrow-hoping for some luck as well. Gonna hope to arrive around early afternoon, take out the kayak for a bit and then park my butt on the pier and do the overnight thing.

Zip-in-Z
05-15-2021, 08:50 PM
We did well in the Norglenwold area but lots of small ones. If it's not to windy you'll see them swimin away in 7-10 fow. The boat rental place next to pier is were most of the crazy's were with chasing around, we were bouncing around in their big waves, be careful. The pier was wall to wall people, casting over each other, funny. Wish you all the success.

D

Gbuss
05-15-2021, 08:54 PM
I did pretty good on wab today. Posted a new video.

BanffJohn
05-15-2021, 08:55 PM
Oh yikes-maybe I’ll have to find another spot if it’s that busy. Is there anywhere else you’d recommend that would be worthwhile for shore angling, or is it pretty much just the pier?
Hopefully get calm weather-it would be pretty cool to see them scurrying away, and to hopefully sight fish for pike if that a thing.

Zip-in-Z
05-15-2021, 09:52 PM
Oh yikes-maybe I’ll have to find another spot if it’s that busy. Is there anywhere else you’d recommend that would be worthwhile for shore angling, or is it pretty much just the pier?
Hopefully get calm weather-it would be pretty cool to see them scurrying away, and to hopefully sight fish for pike if that a thing.

You pick opening weekend at one of the busiest tourist lakes in AB & hope to fish from shore/pier on a Sunday, that will be difficult. Unfortunately, there are only a few places that are worth while & they will be shoulder to shoulder. If your bringing a kayak, & still plan on fishin the Marina Bay - Lighthouse - Pier - Norglenwold area, if it's not to windy, you'll see Whites & perhaps some Pike.

Wish you all the success.

D.

BanffJohn
05-15-2021, 11:32 PM
You pick opening weekend at one of the busiest tourist lakes in AB & hope to fish from shore/pier on a Sunday, that will be difficult. Unfortunately, there are only a few places that are worth while & they will be shoulder to shoulder. If your bringing a kayak, & still plan on fishin the Marina Bay - Lighthouse - Pier - Norglenwold area, if it's not to windy, you'll see Whites & perhaps some Pike.

Wish you all the success.

D.

Hey thanks-yeah I figured it would be a gong show on the pier in the daytime, so I was planning on using the kayak in the daytime, and then was assuming the pier would be slower at night and I’d be able to do my thing there.

Sounds like I was incorrect (not the first time) and I appreciate you letting me know.

I’d hate to drive up for a pain in the butt of a time.

I do not have to stay in that area at all, it was just my thought based on a little reading of past posts.

I did well on the ice out rr23 way, so I thought I might do the kayak thing there, and then the pier at night.

skawtty
05-16-2021, 12:05 AM
Hey guys nicely done, I am stuck working the next 2 weekends, we might come down tuesday if the weather cooperates. The lake lot at Slave isnt ready till middle of June so we can hopefully meet up one of these days.

Skawtty

58thecat
05-16-2021, 07:18 AM
stopped counting after an hour....gators galore!!!!!

Zip-in-Z
05-16-2021, 03:53 PM
Hey thanks-yeah I figured it would be a gong show on the pier in the daytime, so I was planning on using the kayak in the daytime, and then was assuming the pier would be slower at night and I’d be able to do my thing there.

Sounds like I was incorrect (not the first time) and I appreciate you letting me know.

I’d hate to drive up for a pain in the butt of a time.

I do not have to stay in that area at all, it was just my thought based on a little reading of past posts.

I did well on the ice out rr23 way, so I thought I might do the kayak thing there, and then the pier at night.

If your out here with all the crowds of people & boats chasing around this afternoon ..... hope they go home & give you some space at the pier tonight, you might even see some N-Lights, too.

D.

https://i.imgur.com/nAcZ4Z3.jpg

Zip-in-Z
05-16-2021, 03:59 PM
Hey guys nicely done, I am stuck working the next 2 weekends, we might come down tuesday if the weather cooperates. The lake lot at Slave isnt ready till middle of June so we can hopefully meet up one of these days.

Skawtty

Nice to hear from you, it will be crazy out here this May Long & I imagine every weekend until the Sept Long. Unfortunately, can't join you, I hung my rod up for a couple of weeks, got to get a few projects to complete. Cold front is moving in next week with rain is in the forecast, we could use some more ... poor fishin.

D.

skawtty
05-16-2021, 04:59 PM
Nice to hear from you, it will be crazy out here this May Long & I imagine every weekend until the Sept Long. Unfortunately, can't join you, I hung my rod up for a couple of weeks, got to get a few projects to complete. Cold front is moving in next week with rain is in the forecast, we could use some more ... poor fishin.

D.

Yes agreed i am going to stay away from sylvan during the weekends, dont feel like waiting 1-1 1/2 hrs to launch boat. We will come during the week it is a little less busy.

Zip-in-Z
05-16-2021, 09:39 PM
Not my pic was on Sylvan F/B , looks like the Pier was a bit crowded this afternoon ....

D.

https://i.imgur.com/Yb8jRt9.jpg

DiabeticKripple
05-16-2021, 09:52 PM
Looks like the scenery might not have been too bad

Poppa
05-16-2021, 10:00 PM
Wasn't too busy at Sunbreaker today but the fishing was awful. That stretch of Sunbreaker to the west end was absolutely dead. Ice fished it a couple times this winter and was similar. Haven't had much success since last fall... Definitely starting to question the walleye fishery in there now.

OL_JR
05-16-2021, 11:29 PM
Wasn't too busy at Sunbreaker today but the fishing was awful. That stretch of Sunbreaker to the west end was absolutely dead. Ice fished it a couple times this winter and was similar. Haven't had much success since last fall... Definitely starting to question the walleye fishery in there now.

I'd imagine the walleye will be a bit tougher this year. The 1 any size was introduced to thin them out...

Gbuss
05-17-2021, 07:18 AM

Were you fishing deep or shallow. Also if the water temp was above 50⁰f they will be in post spawn mode. You should be able to catch them along the weedlins in y to 10ft of water right now.

Gbuss

Poppa
05-18-2021, 02:51 PM
We fished from 15fow to probably about 6fow (ish). Water temp was 54 on the sonar, I believe. Let's be honest: Sylvan isn't much of a walleye fishery to begin with... at the best of times, it was a lotta dinks. But there was usually steady action. I think that's been tamped down a bit now, with the keeper introduced last year. We only really fish it because it's close to home (Olds) and taking the truck and trailer all the way to a good walleye fishery is a bit of a hike, especially when gas it's nearly 1.30...... but......might be one of those things where you've gotta pay to play, unfortunately.

ddddd05
05-18-2021, 09:37 PM
Hi Zip in Z. I am curious as to if you were catching the white near or on the top of the water? I was out at Wabamun and saw multiple fish hitting the surface. I could not confirm what kind of fish.

Zip-in-Z
05-19-2021, 12:13 PM
Hi Zip in Z. I am curious as to if you were catching the white near or on the top of the water? I was out at Wabamun and saw multiple fish hitting the surface. I could not confirm what kind of fish.

We were fishin from 7 to 20 fow at various spots I GPS'd all over the lake. In the shallow areas I was fan casting a 1/32 oz jig & Mr. Twister Tail letting the jig gently fall to the bottom, then swim/jig & let it fall again & retrieve. All the Whites were within 1-2 ft from the bottom, they'd hit the jig on the drop, if I was in some sand I would try to bounce it off the bottom, that also helps trigger a strike. In the deeper water I was vertical jigging below the boat using the same technique as walleye, jig/drop, jig/drop then pause etc. I used a very sensitive G-Loomis IMX 6' Walleye rod with 10LB braid & a 6 lb floro leader, no snap or swivel, the rod detects the slightest hits. You have to be quick to set the hook, if your to slow Mr. White will pull your rubber twister tail down over the hook bend and keep going. Give it a try in Wab, let us know if you have any success.

Edit: I should add, my success ratio of hooking Whites goes down significantly when I use heavier jig heads & bigger rubber tails. I mainly use 1/32 oz jig heads & sometimes 1/64 oz. I've caught lots of walleye & some nice size pike if they don't bite me off, using my small presentations.

Cheers

David

https://i.imgur.com/C90AtWL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/T6q44M0.jpg