PDA

View Full Version : knots weakening?

CardiacCowboy
05-16-2021, 12:38 PM
While at Chain Lakes on Friday I had two knots come loose on me. One I was able to skoop the fish out of the lake the other stole my spinner.

Used clinch knot and improved clich on most knots. Only thing I can think of is that I was able to pull out of some snags and it was later in the day and mono had been in water for 6-7 hours don't know if that can loosen the knot.

Any suggestions?

EZM
05-16-2021, 01:50 PM
Likely the knot was not tied correctly. A properly tied knot will not loosen - I have not had one loosen in 30 years and I do lots and lots of fishing .....check your technique - there are some good videos online

CardiacCowboy
05-16-2021, 02:25 PM
I think mono with absorb some water and that is the x factor. I pulled my line out of big rocks and knot did not give but later when retying failed. Might have been technique as you say but two failing with same knots seems strange that I messed up twice

Smoky buck
05-16-2021, 05:20 PM
I think mono with absorb some water and that is the x factor. I pulled my line out of big rocks and knot did not give but later when retying failed. Might have been technique as you say but two failing with same knots seems strange that I messed up twice

I hate to say it but it’s not the line it’s the way you are tying it. I have also been fishing for over 30year, guided for a few, tied knots in many strengths/brands/types of line, owned a trout farm where 1/4 of my business was a U catch, and fished for everything from pan fish to white sturgeon. I have tied more knots then most and the only time they came un done was when I was a kid learning

The issues were not lubing the knot with water or spit, not pulling tight from both the tag and main line, and another is cutting the tag too short(basically flush)

Sorry it’s not the line and the improved clinch is more then effective on mono.

CNP
05-16-2021, 07:08 PM
Clinch knots are not rated amongst the best knots. Smaller diameter mono and fluoro (low poundage lines) will slip. I trust Palomar knots.

CardiacCowboy
05-16-2021, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the input. Never had this problem before and landed big fish. This was on two small stocker trout so I am going to say it was just a bad day or maybe was a little lazy on my knots since was catching small ones.

anthony5
05-16-2021, 10:57 PM
I hate to say it but it’s not the line it’s the way you are tying it. I have also been fishing for over 30year, guided for a few, tied knots in many strengths/brands/types of line, owned a trout farm where 1/4 of my business was a U catch, and fished for everything from pan fish to white sturgeon. I have tied more knots then most and the only time they came un done was when I was a kid learning

The issues were not lubing the knot with water or spit, not pulling tight from both the tag and main line, and another is cutting the tag too short(basically flush)

Sorry it’s not the line and the improved clinch is more then effective on mono.
This is the best info there is on these type of knots, started with the clinch knot, went to the improved. In 56 years maybe lost 6 hooks from poor tying.

OL_JR
05-16-2021, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the input. Never had this problem before and landed big fish. This was on two small stocker trout so I am going to say it was just a bad day or maybe was a little lazy on my knots since was catching small ones.

Just for curiousity sake what is indicating to you that the knots are slipping and not breaking?

stob
05-16-2021, 11:59 PM
While at Chain Lakes on Friday I had two knots come loose on me. One I was able to skoop the fish out of the lake the other stole my spinner.

Used clinch knot and improved clich on most knots. Only thing I can think of is that I was able to pull out of some snags and it was later in the day and mono had been in water for 6-7 hours don't know if that can loosen the knot.

Any suggestions?

Palomar..or double palomar with a knot on the tag end...had a great kid lose a couple of river salmon...we looked at his knot after the 2nd fish ran away with his lure, and the palomar unbundled itself with the direct tie on fireline..a double palomar solved that...and every time we land a salmon we check the tag end to see if the knot on the tag has moved or not

CardiacCowboy
05-17-2021, 08:41 AM
Just for curiousity sake what is indicating to you that the knots are slipping and not breaking?

The end of the line had that curly end not the straight line you get from a break. This is why this is weird, I have broken of my share of lures in the Bow and all those were clean breaks not slips.

Smoky buck
05-17-2021, 09:08 AM
The end of the line had that curly end not the straight line you get from a break. This is why this is weird, I have broken of my share of lures in the Bow and all those were clean breaks not slips.

If it shows a short curled section you likely had a weak point in your wraps of your knot where it broke vs pulled apart

If it’s lighter mono and you don’t lube the line it will create a weak point in the wraps in a clinch knot. You can also help limit this issue by sliding the knot gently to the hook eye/swivel/lure before tightening it. Another I found is a lot of people use too many wraps with an improved clinch increasing the odds of weak points. 4-5 wraps is enough to bind with the improved clinch too many seems to increase friction well tightening.

I have seen the above issue tons with customers in the past. I used to test every customers knot before they started fishing and broke lots of knots before I demonstrated how to do it correctly.

In my opinion a large % of the time fisherman get broken off by a fish it’s from creating a week point in the wraps or just before the hook from mistakes when tying their knot.

I have never seen your knots so I don’t know for sure on what the issue is. I can only speculate from common issues I have seen in the past

English Setter
05-17-2021, 09:38 AM
I prefer the trilene knot but it will also slip if the tag is too short. I suspect that may be your problem. I leave about 1/8” tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZM
05-17-2021, 10:01 AM
If it shows a short curled section you likely had a weak point in your wraps of your knot where it broke vs pulled apart

If it’s lighter mono and you don’t lube the line it will create a weak point in the wraps in a clinch knot. You can also help limit this issue by sliding the knot gently to the hook eye/swivel/lure before tightening it. Another I found is a lot of people use too many wraps with an improved clinch increasing the odds of weak points. 4-5 wraps is enough to bind with the improved clinch too many seems to increase friction well tightening.

I have seen the above issue tons with customers in the past. I used to test every customers knot before they started fishing and broke lots of knots before I demonstrated how to do it correctly.

In my opinion a large % of the time fisherman get broken off by a fish it’s from creating a week point in the wraps or just before the hook from mistakes when tying their knot.

I have never seen your knots so I don’t know for sure on what the issue is. I can only speculate from common issues I have seen in the past

Agreed on all counts ......

CptnBlues63
05-17-2021, 02:51 PM
Clinch knots are not rated amongst the best knots. Smaller diameter mono and fluoro (low poundage lines) will slip. I trust Palomar knots.

My favorite as well. Here's a quick how-to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWw_f7CQQLg

NOTE: lube the knot when tieing it!

I lost several hooks because the line snapped at the knot because I didn't lube it. Haven't lost any that way now in years. Now I just lose em to slough sharks and rocks.....