PDA

View Full Version : First time DIY Salmon trip

dekker59
05-16-2021, 07:40 PM
Hey all, looking at doing my first trip to the west coast with my own boat (Kingfisher 1825 falcon, 115 merc and 9.9 kicker). We've done a few charter trips off the island years ago but have never gone at it ourselves. We've got a VHF radio, gps plotter, a backup gps (garmin inreach), and plan on buying a chart map of the area we end up heading to.

However, having never fished off the coast before, looking for any advice on where and when to head out. As well as suggestions on gear, tackle, how to find good fishing spots (salmon/halibut/rockfish ect) or other equipment we should be bringing along. We were thinking of heading to Prince Rupert, as to avoid the ferry to the island. But it looks like fishing can be aways offshore out there.

Hoping to camp in the wall tent as well if that makes a difference.

Bearski
05-17-2021, 10:35 AM
I go to Bamfield. You can boat out from Alberni or take the slow drive right to Bamfield. Couple of campgrounds, Poett Nook and Pachena Bay. Easy access to great fishing, protected waters, can still head offshore on nice weather days.
Be aware, at this time there is no access to the Island for recreational purposes. Hopefully that changes in the coming months.

honker_clonker
05-17-2021, 03:04 PM
When I was looking into this, I looked at Kitimat. The Douglas channel is pretty narrow so you *probably* won't get the same nasty weather as open ocean and there's lots of islands and stuff to go hide in if it does blow up. (Just from my googling, never verified on the water)
Get some downriggers, a few TDR trolling rods, a few better quality line counter reels, flashers and assorted spoons/hoochies and go for broke. Skinny G's, coytotes, maybe some tomic plugs. If you get some better quality line counters you could use them for light bottom fishing and not have to get a pile of tackle on the first trip. You can usually find a bunch of knuckle dusters on Kijiji for pretty cheap if those float your boat too. If you like it and want to go again, its always easier to buy more gear.

Smoky buck
05-17-2021, 04:04 PM
Douglas channel can get nasty when the wind funnels through the mountains. I was catching big air coming back to the launch one trip lol. You can hide in the island chains when it gets rough but to get back to the launch you have to come back through the main channel

I only fished bottom fish and did some crabbing there when I lived in northern BC. I did not target salmon but I know guys who did well for coho in late August into September

Halibut I used a spreader bar and bait like salmon, rockfish, and squid. Areas I fish sand/mud flats out from rivers, sand/mud humps that drop off into deep water, and sand/mud benches off of islands near deep water. 150-300ft are the depths I fished

Rockfish I caught on the same baits but also used lots of different metal jigs. Structure like rock walls, pinnacles, kelp beds, and basically structure. The show up on a fish finder because they have a swim bladder. 40-300ft are the depths I fished and you will find different species at different depths

Only salmon fishing I did in the ocean were in friends boats so I did not pic locations. We used coyote spoons, J plugs(and homemade plugs), flash flies, and hooches trolled behind dodgers or flashers. We did also use zingers and buzz bombs for coho when they were stacked up

I have saltwater experience but I am not highly knowledgeable just good enough to catch some fish when I went